Has anyone noticed a slight stutter when closing apps on iPhone 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikethebigo, Sep 16, 2016.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

With my 6S on iOS 10, the closing animation was smooth and fast. I've noticed on my 7 that when I close an app, there is a slight stutter in the middle of the animation. Just wondering if it's just my phone or if others noticed. Thanks!

2. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

3. xeio macrumors member

xeio

yes i have the same issue. same when going from an app into Multitasking. hope they will bring an update soon :/

4. TheBurgerKing macrumors member

I noticed it as well. I compared it to a iPhone 6 Plus and it definitely stutters. The iPhone 6 Plus takes much longer to close apps though, but the animation is smoother. If you go back into the app right away and close it again, is it smoother? It is on mine. Only for short period of time. I was starting to wonder if it was the backup I used to restore the phone. I am tempted to restore the phone to factory defaults and see if it does it. Thats a PITA though.

5. xeio macrumors member

xeio

first i set the phone without a backup. stutters appears. after i "backupded" my iPhone its still stutter :/
    must be a Software issue together with the darker Display...

6. Kalvin00 macrumors regular

7. eXoenDo macrumors member

eXoenDo

So glad i'm not going crazy, I noticed this as well but figured maybe I was wrong.

8. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm not crazy!! Thanks guys. Maybe the software is not yet fully optimized for the new CPU/GPU

9. TheBurgerKing macrumors member

I was thinking the same thing. Glad I am not crazy either...LOL

10. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Yeah it seems like it doesn't recognize the input for a half second or so while quickly swiping up to close apps. I'm on a 6S Plus with iOS 10 too.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

12. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

13. danielceleste macrumors regular

I believe it may be this way by design. You may have never noticed, but on every iPhone there's always been a slight delay upon clicking the home button once. That's because the phone is waiting to see if you'll click it a second time to initiate multitasking. It looks like since iOS 10, has Apple tried to eliminate the apparentness of this delay in a couple of ways. The first is that, if you click the home button while an app is animating open from the home screen, it won't wait for a second click and will immediately close the app — it all feels very snappy. But one thing unique to the 7 is that, while in an app, instead of waiting for a potential second click after clicking once, it does a slight animation where the app in view "shrinks" inward a bit. If you don't click a second time, it speeds up and closes the app all the way to the home screen. If you click a second time, it then enters multitasking — all together, this animation looks like the app is shaking a bit as the whole device clicks when double clicking the home button, which is neat. But I agree it looks a little buggy while going to the home screen.

TL;DR it seems intentional, I can see them getting rid of it in an update, and I need to learn how to be concise :)

14. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

You actually bumped your thread three minutes later?

15. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

I feel like it's by design as well. Not sure I like it, but I do feel it's intentional.

16. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

8:02 to 9:10 is a little more than 3 minutes by my count

17. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

Yes I've also experienced this app exit animation stutter, and as an OCD user who paid so much for a device I expect animations to be perfect on day 1. Issue persists even after updating to 10.0.1, it's unacceptable. You'd think Apple engineers would fully test the phone on iOS before giving a thumbs up to ship the product. Very disappointed at this botched launch.

18. FoxD macrumors 6502

I noticed it too. iOS 10 transitions are faster on iPhone 6 for sure.

19. rhaezorblue macrumors regular

rhaezorblue

It kinda bugs me too so I went into Accessability options and enabled the Reduced motion option which completely eliminates any lag as it changes how apps close. Only temporarily until I see a new software update and I'll test it for a fix to this

20. friedmud macrumors 65816

Here is my thought: that animation may be fairly processor intensive... but remember that the iPhone 7 runs on the 2 puny underclocked cores most of the time.

It could be that those cores aren't up to the task of that animation... but the fast cores don't spin up fast enough to make the animation smooth (and / or the stutter you see is the fast cores taking over).

This idea also explains some of the above statements about how it will be smooth for a little while afterward. Most likely the fast cores are spinning up to finish the animation... and they remain active for a period of time before shutting down again and handing off to the slow cores to save power. During that time everything will be fast and smooth.

This is Apple's first attempt at such a setup in a mobile device... so it may take a bit before they figure out the right way to integrate the software with the hardware.

21. gbi macrumors newbie

22. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

Found this on twitter: https://twitter.com/flyosity/status/776938862899781632

Basically apple engineers are aware but this will likely take a while to get fixed unless it garners more attention from the community. Frankly I'm surprised this thread got very little attention. Do people not notice this versus the speaker hiss on the 7+?

23. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

24. wolfedude88 macrumors regular

wolfedude88

LOL, what were you even looking at. I could not seeing the hour difference but it would have been 8 minutes not 3 minutes.

25. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Definitely seeing this now. Yeah its kinda annoying