Has anyone picked up the new Dell SP2309W display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spaceballl, Nov 29, 2008.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

It was just announced a couple weeks ago and I'm thinking about picking it up. The price is right and the resolution / pixel density is outstanding. I know it's a TN panel and I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about TN v. IPA. But from someone who has bought it, i'm very curious, thanks!

Here's the link to the product.

2. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Thats a wonky resolution. Wondering how it compares to the 24" budget display Dell has though.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yup - totally wonky res - i dig it! I'm leaning toward buying it unless anyone has some poor experiences with it. I'll wait til cyber monday and see if dell offers any coupons or anything like that and then i'll go ahead and order it.

4. nfbetancur macrumors newbie

If there is nothing tomorrow through Dell, there is currently one Buy It Now auction on eBay for this monitor with free shipping and no tax. After the 25% Live.com instant rebate, the price would be~$270 which is pretty good.

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

wow looks nice and its 16:9 - awesome (and about time too)

Am wanting a pair of 23/4" ers for my new study when I move - these might be the ones :)

6. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

That is so funny. This auction must have just gone up. I searched for it on ebay right before I posted here. I'm not sure how that instant rebate works, so i'm contacting the seller for more info. I'll order it today and i'll make sure to post pics / impressions once I get it!

7. mcrisanti macrumors newbie

resolution question

So how will this look when paired with my new MB Al? I am considering the same model (actually the SP2409) and am wondering what the picture will look like. Will it look strange given that the res is 1920x1080 and not 1920x1200? I would be using this as the main screen with the laptop closed. I don't want to be looking at a stretched picture all day long.

Would also like to hear if others have an opinion on the monitor as the reviews all seem good.

8. gotzero macrumors 68040

I always assumed that this was 2k resolution, but looking it up, 2k is 2048*1080.

The powers that be that decide video resolutions really need to get it together. Video resolution standards make audio resolution standards seem like they make sense.

If this panel had a vertical resolution a little greater than 1200, I would be really excited. As is, two 1920*1200 panels side by side is already a little wide for me, and I would like more vertical resolution, not horizontal pixels...

I do wish this thing would show up in a kiosk so I could get a hint of what it looks like.

9. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

So first off, this monitor does not have a 1920x1080 resolution. It is actually much higher. The sp2309w is a different monitor that the s2309w. There would not be a "stretched picture."

In any case, I have ordered the monitor and I'll report back once I get it!

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems really nice. Is it a DVI single-link device? It seems like it is (since it says DVI-D and not dual link), but the resolution seems higher than most single link devices.

I wonder how many graphics adapters will recognize that resolution by default / how quickly new drivers would be available / how much of a pain using SwitchResX or PowerStrip type tools would be.

I like that it has, apparently, HDMI, but does it seriously have a microphone, a webcam, and no speakers? It would be really much better if displays like this had at least basic speakers, like the new ACD does.

11. gqlewis macrumors newbie

No webcam drivers for MAC

I just received my new SP2309W today form Dell. :) It is a fantastic monitor however, the webcam is not compatible w/ OS X as I was told by the sales staff before I made the purchase. I intend to call Dell on Monday and voice my concerns about being lied to. :mad:

12. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I LOVE mine! I don't do any PC gaming (I have a PS3 for that) so I don't care about all the super high-end features. I just want a nice monitor that is high resolution so I can get all my work done. Man does this deliver!

2048 is such a great sideways pixel count. I can have two full 1024 wide windows open side by side, like eclipse and documentation. And then I can do the testing on the website on my macbook pro monitor.

I've moved to this monitor from a 24". I love that i'm getting MORE resolution on a 1" smaller screen. The pixel density more accurately resembles that of my MBP now. I'll post some pics when I have a chance. No dead pixels.

13. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I cant wait to use mine - my new work have bought me two for my office :)

(and a HD gaming class laptop too) - awesome

14. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Can you post some pics of the screen? What's your opinion of the quality? I'm thinking of buying one of these to go next to my 23" ACD (well actually the S2309W).

In the UK, the S2309W is £155 and the SP2309W is £249. Do you think the extra resolution and webcam is worth the extra £95?

15. TheSaracen macrumors newbie

I'm seriously thinking of getting this Dell- can I ask, what sort of graphics card do you use to run it?

16. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I use the integrated GeForce 8600M card w/ 256MB RAM. This is my Macbook Pro.

17. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

I got the Samsung version of the monitor yesterday from Futureshop, not many differences, mainly that it doesn't have the webcam and an HDMI input (It should have the same panel).
    The display looks wonderful, no dead pixels and scales 1080P very nicely to the native resolution. 720P doesn't fill the screen automatically, so you have to hit two buttons to do that. DPI is really good, about the same as a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Slight backlight bleed from the bottom, but hard to notice during web browsing.

If the Dell version scales as good as the Samsung, I would highly recommend it, or the Samsung which is abit cheaper at the moment.:)

18. TheSaracen macrumors newbie

19. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yup I think I read that they have the exact same panel. The samsung is cheaper so maybe that's a better deal... of course... with my deal, I bought mine on eBay with a 10% coupon + the 30% live.com coupon so it only cost me $210 ;-)

But yeah the resolution really is great. No dead pixels on the dell here either!

20. ThinknDifferent macrumors newbie

Spaceballl,

I too have been looking at the same monitor for a MacBook Pro (Model ID: 4,1). If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Does your MacBook natively support the monitor's full resolution of 2048 x 1152 or are you having to use an alternate resolution?

2. Have you been able to get the monitor's built-in video camera to work with your MacBook?

3. You mentioned having purchased this on eBay. Who was the seller, how was your experience, and how did the "live.com" coupon work?

4. Have you purchased the Dell Soundbar to go with the monitor? If so, how is it?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    :) Thinkn

21. H0M3R macrumors member

I just got one of these monitors and so far it works great. I have a 2006 Mac Pro with a 8800GT. OS X recognized the monitor and set the resolution correctly. No dead pixels that I could see.

I tried the built in webcam and only got black video. I booted into boot camp and played Left4Dead at 2048x1152 and it was awesome. :) I then rebooted back into OS X and the web cam was working. Maybe it had something to do with the monitor being plugged in while OS X was already running?

The way the onscreen menu works with the capacitive buttons is cool. The light on the menu button seems to light up when I put my hand near it to make it easy to see.

22. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

How does this monitor compare to their 24" Ultra Sharp Displays? (Besides having higher resolution)

Do the Ultra Sharps have different panels? The 24" is on sale for $517. Costs more than this monitor, but $200 more for 1" ?

23. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

How are the real-life viewing angles on this monitor?

The only thing that's preventing me from buying it (at the moment) is the TN panel... man, I really wish Dell used a VA panel instead.

24. paulandre macrumors newbie

I would like to know this info too [​IMG]