Has anyone tried iWood for iPhone yet?

bonjavi

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
I'm sorry dock pictures are too dark, I first used my camera but it always used the flash and all pictures looked like that. Then I used a friends one with a tripod and could did the pictures without flash, but dock ones are all dark. So sorry!

Theres only iwood for iphone, ipod 5g and ipod nano 2g I think, you can check the web: www.miniot.com

kaidoy021

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
wow, thanks Bonjavi for the multiple thorough pics. I'm just waiting for mine to come soon!! You guys think since the case fits so snug and perfect, the case in anyway can scratch the casing or chrome bezel when removing the iphone from the case?

If so, I was thinking of getting a BSE cover.

bonjavi

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
well I'm worried about that too, but I don't know if the invisible shield or the BSE would fit. I just tried to put a power support cristal film on the back, and with that the iwood harldy entered over the iphone, also this way it scratched the powersupport film.

But I guess trying one of the plastic covers is the only way to be sure that it wont be scratched.

iWood fits correctly, even the magnets seems to not touch the iphone, at least not too much, but I guess that if you take it off and on everyday it will end all scratched, same way that would be with any other cover or thing that you use over and over the surface.

carman63

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
iWood fits correctly, even the magnets seems to not touch the iphone, at least not too much, but I guess that if you take it off and on everyday it will end all scratched, same way that would be with any other cover or thing that you use over and over the surface.
My bottom piece comes off 2-3 times a day to dock the iPhone in my phone/headphone charger. No issues yet.

bonjavi

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
Yes, bottom piece also comes off smoothly on my case. The upper one, not so easy, but better than other cases like agent18 as I said. Is just that maybe is not the way to take out the upper case everyday, for using a belkin armband or something like that, don't you think so?

carman63

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Yes, bottom piece also comes off smoothly on my case. The upper one, not so easy, but better than other cases like agent18 as I said. Is just that maybe is not the way to take out the upper case everyday, for using a belkin armband or something like that, don't you think so?
I've only taken the top part of the case off once. That was yesterday, to look for scratches caused by the case (there were none).

Otherwise, I only remove the bottom piece so I can use my Apple dock.

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Silence switch is absolutely un-useful , I cannot even make it switch using a stylus. How do you use the mute control iwood users? turn at minimum with the volume buttons? any program?
Oh dear, I really love this case and would have liked to buy it but I need quick access to the silence switch. Is there a quick way of muting/turning dow the volume? My iPhone on the way....

kaidoy021

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
As promised, here are my pictures. Just like others have said, ringer switch is impossible to reach w/o some sort of pick. Camera hole is a tad offline but doesn't block the picture taking.

carman63

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Oh dear, I really love this case and would have liked to buy it but I need quick access to the silence switch. Is there a quick way of muting/turning dow the volume? My iPhone on the way....
This is probably the only (and for some, major) flaw in the design - you can't access the silence switch without a toothpick or possibly long fingernail. The hole for it is there, but the switch is already recessed, and having to work through an additional layer (the case) makes it difficult, if not impossible. :(

Miniot is/was working on a slight redesign, but I don't think button functionality was being addressed. I think it was more of a structural reinforcement issue.

bonjavi

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
Hi !

I'm thinking on doing the hole bigger (of the "silencer" swtich) using modelling kit tools (you know for navy wood ships kits) I think they are enough precise to just increase its size a little bit. Unfortunately I have this tools in my holiday house and I don't know when I'll go there to take them... If someone has experience in this kind of modlling kits and wanna try...

Also I noticed a sad problem, I'm getting a little mark on the iphones body, just near to the sleep button; I've just looked at it and its worst than first time I saw it a couple of days ago, so I guess something is not working with my sleep iwood button, it must be pushing over the iphone body

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
They should make that hole bigger, and or have a piece of wood to attach to the ringer switch.

these covers seem to make the iphone quite a bit bigger, i imagined it to be something more like this where it replaces the cover:

kaidoy021

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
Hi !

Also I noticed a sad problem, I'm getting a little mark on the iphones body, just near to the sleep button; I've just looked at it and its worst than first time I saw it a couple of days ago, so I guess something is not working with my sleep iwood button, it must be pushing over the iphone body
That's odd. I haven't come across this problem. I do notice if you take the case off and on often, the lining over the magnets leaves a minor black streak where the magnets slide over the back casing. It come off with some water, but nevertheless annoying. I found a solution by just placing some scotch tape over the slide area where the magnets slide. I think the magnets make the lining a tad higher then the rest of the lining. No biggie though.

Maybe you should contact Peter from miniot and tell him your problem.

Bonjavi, what I also noticed from the pics between our (maybe just my eyes), but the silent ringer hole for mine is more off to the left (if you look from the side). Not like having the hole more to the left help or not, the hole is still too deep and useless.

carman63

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Anyone experiencing issues with heat dissipation?

Does the case effect signal strength?

Thanks.
No, and no. YMMV of course, but I haven't had either issue described. Although, it's possible the case could affect your signal strength I suppose.

bonjavi

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
I've been having errors on my signal since a couple of weeks; when I'm gonna make a call it gives me some kind of error, and the singlal is 0. it's been happening a lot this 2 weeks or so, I thought it could be a problem with 1.1.1 and ipsf but it also the moment I started using iwood. I don't remember happening the first days after the upgrade to 1.1.1, so I guess that I should try it with out the iwood for some days to check if it still happens.

It's really strange, on the moment of the call it turns to 0, then it recovers and works... and it has all the power when I make the call..

carman63

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Mine broke - Miniot replaced for FREE.

My original iWood case had an issue where the small piece of wood in the front of the dock broke off. I contacted Miniot about it. Peter aked for pictures, and acknowledged some issues folks were reporting. Bottom line, they added reinforcements on the cases being made in a few weak sports, and Peter shipped me a replacement case - absolutely free, and told me to keep the original.

So for all you doubting Thomas(thomas)es out there, they really stand behind their product. :)

kaidoy021

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
I accidently dropped my case on my bathroom tile floor. The bottom half of my case shattered into three pieces. There goes my beautiful case. The risk of buying a wooden case.

I'm gonna email Peter and see what he can do for me. :(

carman63

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
I accidently dropped my case on my bathroom tile floor. The bottom half of my case shattered into three pieces. There goes my beautiful case. The risk of buying a wooden case.

I'm gonna email Peter and see what he can do for me. :(
What kind of wood did you get?

BTW Krazy Glue works wonders.

kaidoy021

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
I got the Padouk. I would try crazy glue, but one side of the speaker grill was shattered into mini pieces. The other side is intact.

I guess I'll revert back to my contour showcase case. The only thing that bugged me about that case is it scuffs the bottom chrome when removing/inserting into the case.