Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevenpucks

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Ordered this today before finding this thread. Clinton's participation in this thread has made my decision seem more like the correct one. I'm sure I'll have the skin long before the iPad arrives. Can't wait to see how they look together.

Tinknock71

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Westland Michigan
Damn that carbon fiber looks sharp... Are these somewhat easy to place on for someone inexperienced??

Got mine in the mail today, was not to bad to install just a little patience.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    464.5 KB · Views: 120
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    505.4 KB · Views: 143

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
After seeing this thread, I was looking for a black back solution for my original iPad which I use on stage with me and an iKlip. I wanted it black to take the attention off the aluminum back, and blend better.

The JustStickIt skin arrived in 2 days. 2 DAYS. From Vancouver to Chicago. Amazingly fast shipping.

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to screen shields and skin placement, and I have to have it perfect, and it will bother me to no end, so installing without a camera hold and just the logo cut out took some time. Several tries to line it up as perfectly as I could, but I got it within my acceptable range in about 10 minutes.

The quality is top notch, and it really gives the iPad a new look. After seeing how well this worked on my original iPad, I plan on giving this a more detailed review, and will purchase these for my iPad 2 shortly.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
For those you got the black carbon fiber.....

Just ordered mine...looking forward to getting it.

For all you who purchased the black carbon fiber......have you need to use a hairdryer on the corners at all?

And what's the consensus on the easiest way to install? Is it from the Apple out....or line up the camera first? Are people pulling the backing off, and then putting it back on the ends to get the Apple stuck first?

-Kevin

MotleyGrrl

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Chicago, IL
So, after a few days, the corners seem to be coming up a bit. I find myself constantly pushing the corners down. I wish it extended a little more. I feel like the edges where it ends are going to end up being pulled up from the way I hold it. Other than that, I like how it looks and feels.

Tinknock71

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Westland Michigan

For all you who purchased the black carbon fiber......have you need to use a hairdryer on the corners at all?

And what's the consensus on the easiest way to install? Is it from the Apple out....or line up the camera first? Are people pulling the backing off, and then putting it back on the ends to get the Apple stuck first?

-Kevin

Mine are fine, I hit the corners and the whole back with a hair dryer after installation.

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
So, after a few days, the corners seem to be coming up a bit. I find myself constantly pushing the corners down. I wish it extended a little more. I feel like the edges where it ends are going to end up being pulled up from the way I hold it. Other than that, I like how it looks and feels.

I've had my Black Leather version installed for 12 days now and the corners haven't come up at all. I used my hair dryer on high heat during the corner install.

Tinknock71

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Westland Michigan

-Kevin

I lined up the camera first and made sure it was straight and worked my way down and a little tweaking around the apple and lined up straight at the bottom, just take your time

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Has anyone ordered and installed the Metallic Wood Skin yet? I'm curious to see how it looks!

Dihmono824

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
+1 for the black leather version, really like the look of it. I had a little bit of trouble during the install which at one point involved pulling a large portion of the skin off the iPad again; as a result, the two "dips" on the bottom of the apple logo cutout are a little bit torn in. Other than that I'm a happy camper, the skin IMO looks very classy.

The corners are sticking well for me too.

cinca

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Can anyone that's picked up the black leather skin maybe take a pictures or two for those of us still on the fence..?

Appreciated..!

SteelBusNole

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
Do you need to use a hair dryer for the Black Carbon Fiber one? I got mine over the weekend but have not put it on yet. I am a nervous nelly about making sure I put it on right.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Do you need to use a hair dryer for the Black Carbon Fiber one? I got mine over the weekend but have not put it on yet. I am a nervous nelly about making sure I put it on right.

If the instructions are the same as the leather skin, they recommend using the hair dryer at the end, although I don't think it's mandatory.

SteelBusNole

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
I did it! I will post some pics later.

I only had to reapply 1 time. It was really an easy installation. I started at the Apple and it worked fantastic. I did use the hair dryer as it was recommended.

It looks great!

dcmetro

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
For those using icarbons or surface skins, why else do you use o protect your iPad. Do you use another case and/sleeve while traveling or walking with it? Although this is the approach I want to take, I would still not like to believe this would protect the iPad...say in the car/restaurants...basically once it's not in our hands or in the hands of kids.

Btw, looking forward to some pictures. Would personally prefer the leather too if it's a long term solution.

Mdifilm

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Cleveland
here are pictures I took with my iPads, it took me about 2 mins on each, didn't use the hair dryer, what I did was make sure the surface is completely clean, then I peeled the 3M off and align it on the air (having the iPad on the table) and the making sure the alignment with the camera hole and speaker is good and slowly get closer to the surface and apply some hand 'force' to make sure it sticks.

Now that I have the skin and the smart cover, I am wondering if I really need to protect the corners... At least the back and front is covered from scratches.

Now question: can anyone recommend a good screen protector? I got SPLASH Masque Screen Protective FIlm and it's a waste of $, no matter how I applied it, it always ended up with some lint and bubbles (even I kept the screen off anything and handled it with latax gloves...

skin1.JPG

skin2.JPG

skin3.JPG

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
For those using icarbons or surface skins, why else do you use o protect your iPad. Do you use another case and/sleeve while traveling or walking with it? Although this is the approach I want to take, I would still not like to believe this would protect the iPad...say in the car/restaurants...basically once it's not in our hands or in the hands of kids.

Btw, looking forward to some pictures. Would personally prefer the leather too if it's a long term solution.

I use a black leather Smartcover and a black leather skin, that's it when carrying it. I put it, plus the Apple BT keyboard, in a Waterfield iPad Wallet when going back and forth to work. Other than that, it never leaves my hands, certainly not at a restaurant nor with kids. (shudder). :)

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Now that I have the skin and the smart cover, I am wondering if I really need to protect the corners... At least the back and front is covered from scratches.

Great pics. I really do not understand the need to protect the corners. My focus is on preventing the back getting scratched when being moved or slid around on a desktop. This skin accomplishes that. I don't see the corners be susceptible to such 'damage'. To me, the damage a corner is vulnerable to would not be protected by a skin anyway.

sevenpucks

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
jsiskins is a definite no. elementskins would be my first choice followed by iconskins. I'm drawing a blank right now but I'm sure someone on here can come up with something better than those.

How about these?

skinmyi
macskins
protectmyi

[G5]Hydra

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2004
surfaceskinz.com looks available. Keeps with the original spirit and you could rebrand with the z on the end without too much trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.