Has Apple become complacent?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Nov 21, 2008.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

2 years of having iphones on the market now (ok a little less) and still the same concerns we had from day one. Everything from MMS, to copy&paste have gone ignored. I realize stability in the OS is important, but a year and a half of fixes is getting a little old. The App store added some nice software to the phone, but 90% of the stuff on there is utter crap.

If the iPhone was unable to be jailbroken, I would have given it up a long long time ago. I think Apple realizes jailbreaking is a good thing, minus the pirated software.

Its time Apple started listening to its customers, and stop doing what THEY feel necessary. People want MMS, people want real GPS turn by turn navigation.

Heck, you cant even theme an iphone without hacking it!!! Its really too bad the BB storm didnt come closer to the iPhone... Apple still has no real threat.

2. macbookairapple macrumors regular

So what, return the device already then, why did you buy it. :mad:

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

So 7+ years of fixes on XP means what?

They're adding features and bug fixing.

4. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

That was the dumbest reply ever. Windows doesnt exactly have limitations on companies as to what they can and cant install.

5. markgamber macrumors 6502

The "problem" is that the iPhone isn't aimed and (and Apple doesn't really care about) technically oriented people. It's a smartphone for housewives and teenagers. The phone of choice for the technically oriented is still, and probably will be for the foreseeable future, Windows Mobile. It's more difficult to get started but they're a magnitude more capable than the iPhone in nearly every way. They're far more flexible, there's several times more software, there are no restrictions on what you can and can't do with it (at least none imposed by the manufacturer and Microsoft). The iPhone is nice, I have one, obviously, but if I need TomTom or I'm not sure what phone functionality I might need when leaving the house I play it safe and leave the play phone at home and take the Tilt with me. And that's the bottom line, I believe. Apple isn't going to change. Jobs & Co. have it fixed in their head what they want and they will never deviate from that. Not for you, me or anyone else outside of Apple. So if you want something that meets your needs, you'll need to get something else, at least on a part time basis.

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Says who?

7. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Sais the sales figures. If the iPhone was aimed at geeks, would it sell as good as it does? The iPhone sells as good as it does because it is aimed at normal people who wants to have a "smartphone".

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

The iPhone is perfect for my needs.

You sound like you "need" a blackberry.

I'm happy, you're happy. Boom - problem solved.

9. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Amen to that. You certainly wouldn't know it by reading these forums sometimes, but there are actually millions of satisfied iPhone owners out there.

10. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Almost everyone I know who has an iPhone is a geek. I don't know ANY housewives that have this phone...teens either (I don't know how a normal (non- rich, or non-drug-dealer) teen can afford this phone anyways).

IMO, this is a geek phone...not because you can get under the hood (you can't) but because of the things you can do with it. Like it or not, it IS a smartphone.

11. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I'm coming to the conclusion that Apple will not listen to us until the majority of users begin jail-breaking. Absent that competitive pressure, nothing will change.

12. Project macrumors 68020

The copy and paste posts are getting so tired now. Log off and get yourself a different device if its that important.

13. john316 macrumors member

Not even sure why its an issue - had my phone for about 6 weeks and not had 1 instance where I needed to use it had it been there :confused:

14. Project macrumors 68020

I do have the need to copy and paste from time to time but its not a dealbreaker for me.

15. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

The iPhone isn't even expensive. It's a bit more compared to a random Sony Ericsson phone, but not alot more.

You just knowing of geeks who have the iPhone doesn't say much. I can say like this, looking at the sales figures, there's not enough geeks to make up even 10% of the sales ;)

With geeks I do not mean people who know how to use the phone, more like tech gurus who actually need copy & paste and stuff in their every day life.

Most people won't miss it.

16. billandy macrumors regular

the software 2.0 update was a very ambitious move. since you seem you be a technical person, i'm sure you shall understand that it's not just the addition of an app store, the underlying system architecture was largely adjusted and changed to accommodate third party software without compromising security of the device and privacy stored in it. apple did a great job despite the fact that it wasn't until 2.1 most bugs were ironed out. still better than copy&paste, better than task manager, what i'm waiting for now is the push notification service

17. billandy macrumors regular

then u shall take a look at the poll on the forum, the "majority" don't think it's vitally important, oops...

18. aristobrat macrumors G5

If you are basing "complacent" on those three issues, then yes, Apple has always been complacent about the iPhone.

If you list every other update and feature Apple's done with the iPhone in the last 14-15 months, I don't think anyone looking objectively could call them complacent. Especially with their complete 180 on their original stance about "no native applications".

19. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Apple IS listening to customers. If you actually take a poll on how many people want copy/paste, MMS, or bug fixes, you'll find that bug fixes are the majority...safari crashes, etc. They probably had time to go to the next items on the list which were transit directions...and maybe throw in a street view. Remember, there are 15+ million iPhone/iPod touch users. The majority of which knew that when they bought the iPhone, they weren't getting MMS or Copy/Paste and have learned to live without it.

It's just like the new Facebook layout...everyone I know hates it...and there are many Fb groups that hate it too...but add them all up and it doesn't even make up 7% of Facebook...and that's assuming no one joined more than one "I hate the new layout" group.

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That's OK then. You don't need it so obviously no other person in the world will either. :rolleyes:

21. Turmoil macrumors regular

Waaaaaaah!

yawn - another whine thread. Come on people. If you need a screwdriver buy a screwdriver, don't bitch that the hammer you bought won't do what you need. The I-phone is a marvelous tool. If it doesn't do what you want, but something that does. bitching will not help.

22. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

That's OK then. You do need it so obviously every other person in the world will too. :rolleyes:

23. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Your sentence makes no sense. Oops...

My point is that Apple won't listen to complaints -- yours or mine -- until they're forced to do so. The only way to force them to do so is through competitive pressure, either from jail breaking or some non-Apple alternative.
    Steve Jobs has a long record of telling people what they want, not giving it. But your point about polls is well taken...can you point me to one that supports your claim?
    If they had time to throw in crap like that, they had time to execute copy/paste -- or at least voice-cued GPS.

24. Turmoil macrumors regular

if you need it and you bought a tool that doesn't support it, why who's fault is that? talk about rolling eyes.

25. Turmoil macrumors regular

not happening. millions are happy with the iphone, it's making Apple a ton of money.