Has Apple's quality control standards gone down the toilet? I think so.....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ozziegn, Oct 23, 2008.

1. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

Okay, hear me out before you decide to flame me....

The other day I went to the Apple store to buy the new MacBook that most everyone is going ga-ga over. So I buy the 2.4 model and something inside my head said that I should open and inspect the laptop before I began the 45 minute drive back home. So I opened the box in my car and I noticed a few small scratches on the backside of the laptop on the aluminum finish. I tried to see if they would rub out but they wouldn't. This was completely unacceptable to me so I went back inside the Apple store and I told them I wanted another one. That's when the manager came out, looked at the laptop and said that he didn't see anything wrong and that the scratch marks were part of the machining process. I couldn't believe it. so after arguing with him back and fourth for about ten minutes, he decided to cave in and exchange it for another one. he told me that the new one would be mine no matter what condition it would be in and that if I wanted to exchange it I would be paying the 10% restocking fee. I said whatever and waited until he came out with another one.

to my surprise, the second model was worse than the first one because it had scratches on the back, on the front and the battery tray area had a small nick in it. again, I couldn't believe it. I then told the manager to look at the laptop and once again, the moron didn't think there was anything wrong and he told me that Apple's quality control standards have always been very high. I then laughed at him and I said I wanted 100% of my money back. he then told me I'd be paying the 10% restocking fee which didn't go too well with me. once again, we bickered back and fourth until we both agreed on him giving me a third laptop to try. he then reassured me that this would be the last one no matter what.

so by then I was so tired I took the third laptop but I didn't open it until I got home. 45 minutes later, I opened the laptop and it had a couple small nick marks next to the battery indicator. again, I couldn't believe it. I find it so hard to believe that Apple would allow trash like this to leave their facilities and furthermore, I find it hard to believe that one of their store managers would find blemishes like these acceptable.

so now I get to drive down there again in the morning to get my money back. at this point, I'm willing to eat the 10% restocking fee just to wash my hands of this crap. I've owned three MacBook Pros now and all of them have been cosmetically perfect right out of the box. so this horsecrap with the store manager telling me these "machining marks" being a normal thing is flat outright insane. either that or Apple's quality control standards have really gone down the toilet.

unbelievable...

2. TyloBedo macrumors member

WOW! thats unbieleveable. however, i would recomend trying to get full money back, and purchasing your macbook elsewhere. i am most likely guessing the store just recieved a "bad shipment" try ordering it online, or wait tell a best buy or other retailer stocks it.

3. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

That's horrible. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. The manager saying no further exchanges will be given is completely unacceptable to make such a condition, what if it is defective hardwire wise?

5. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

This isn't the first time I've read about people being told this. It's completely illegal and against policy, of course.

6. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I'm afraid quality control has gotten worse. Hope this gets sorted out for you, but even still, it would leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I totally understand, you put down good money for a macbook, and you expect one that's perfect. If it's gonna get scratched, you can do it yourself.

Don't need apple to pre-scratch it for you :mad:

7. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Can you post pictures of the scratches?

There is a chance that they actually might be a part of the machining process... Like, I'm sure you're smart enough to know the difference but the fact is, the milling process does leave small "scratches" where the drill contacts with the metal.

8. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I think it would be a different story if the MacBook was actually defective if it was a hardware issue. but in this case, that isn't the issue. the issue is that these morons are thinking that I'm being too anal when it comes to what is and isn't acceptable when it comes to the appearance on their laptops.

to me, any blemish whether it be small or large, is completely unacceptable. after all, I'm paying 100% of Apple's asking price so therefore their product should be in 100% condition, not 95%.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

you know, you do come off a bit of a jerk when you laugh in the face of managers.

just so you know

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

wow, this post sounds exactly like one I've read before.

11. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

actually I would but the camera probably wouldn't pick up the scratches. the scratches are pretty faint but nonetheless, they are there and that's what bugs the hell out of me.

now, if Apple wants to sell me a scratched and dented laptop at a scratched and dented price, then maybe we can deal. otherwise, no dice!

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

so theres dents to go along with the scratches that a camera cant even pick up, sounds like you got a real lemon there.:rolleyes:

13. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

and just so you know, I think you're full of it because I don't take that kind of crap from anyone. I always believed in being nice the first time and being very polite. but I also believe in taking a stand for myself and not take anyone's crap. push me in to a corner and I'll push back. after that, there's nothing more to say.

I'm too old for that kind of nonsense.

14. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

no, there aren't any dents. I was just using the scratch and dent phrase as an example.

15. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Apple's quality control died when they introduced the G3. Where have you been?

16. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Also try emailing OCD@apple.com. And don't forget to diassemble your next one before you leave the store and check for dust on the motherboard. That would be totally unacceptable and illegal.

17. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I wasn't an Apple user back then so I wouldn't know how different their QC was in that era. I do know that all three MBPs I've purchased have all been flawless machines. two went to my two daughters and I've been using the third one since March of this year.

18. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

nice reply. I sure hope you didn't take more than 2 seconds to think of that one. if so, your brain worked overtime. :rolleyes:

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

no offense, as I first thought your posts were reasonable, but your later posts just make you seem to come off as a jerk. I can only imagine how you behaved in the store.

If a camera cannot even pick up the scratch......

20. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

My MacBook that I bought was in perfect condition from the day I got it. If it had so much as a scratch on it, I would have taken it back immediately. Not because I'm OCD, but because if I'm paying 100% for a product, it better be 100%.

We don't pay Apple to damage our laptops for us.

21. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

What if it is an older 1 MP camera? What if the scratches are the same color as the aluminum? My PowerBook has scratches and dents on it that look major up close and are, yet a 7 MB camera couldn't pick up unless you thoroughly zoomed in on the specific zone.

Please stop making these assumptions, they're completely inaccurate.

22. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

What do you expect from something that is assembled in China?

I love Apple products, but their quality has gone way downhill.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think personally that people are a little to concerned with the beauty of their products.

24. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Getting a new laptop with scratches is unacceptable, and the manager's attitude is TOTALLY unacceptable.

25. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

People who are buy brand new, because they want a brand new perfect product. People who don't will go used and refurb as it wouldn't bother them.