Has Installous been blocked? Weird Cydia uninstall problem

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by murdercitydevil, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

2. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Nobody? It's odd that I'm the only one experiencing this. 100+ views and no replies I must be alone here :(

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think you will get much help here as installeus is pretty much just used for app piracy and help with piracy is against the forum rules.

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Pirates don't get help here......

S-

5. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I actually don't own any cracked apps. The only one I ever had was categories SB and I downloaded a cracked version to test its functionality. Soon after I forgot about it and only now, during the update process, did I remember that I never bought it. In my OP I mention that I gladly paid the measly dollar that it cost. And this question isn't even about piracy. The point is that for some reason, removing a package, no matter what it is, removes Installous from Cydia as well. I figured that if nothing else, people would be interested in this considering the rumor about the jailbreak developers wanting to block pirated apps in some way or another. It really makes no difference to me, I don't even use Installous, I'm just curious as to why it was happening.

6. RobinHo0d macrumors member

Installous works just fine on 4.1

lol @ these do-gooders

7. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I'm not saying it doesn't work. Read my OP, i'm saying it gets removed by Cydia whenever I uninstall any other package.

8. RobinHo0d macrumors member

I just removed 2 packages and Installous is still there.

9. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

installous is on a lot of repos, make sure you get it from the official one

10. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Ignoring the piracy issue and to answer the broad question, as an effective apt front end, Cydia will quite rightly check your dependencies and remove anything that does not meet them. It does this whenever it runs its checks, so spoofing, installing, and then removing the spoof will result in your packages being added to the queue for removal the next time Cydia is run.
    When you update or install a new package you should notice that there are also these items to be removed. It does not try and hide it away and it does not do it silently. You should probably pay more attention to the confirmation screen before pressing the "confirm" button...
    Dependencies are there for a reason (because the developer stipulated them), and just because you can fool the dependency check, does not mean the software is running flawlessly under the covers. Keeping the version check spoof in place is also a very bad idea because then things which are truly dependant on 4.1 will not install...
    The moral of the story is, if you want one of your apps updated to support 4.1, contact the developer! They are mostly happy to help PAYING CUSTOMERS! see what I did there? :D

11. nednarm macrumors 6502

If you don't use it why do you care that its getting uninstalled?

12. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

People who pirate apps suck. Pay for the damn software you use.

13. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I would try uninstalling Installous and reinstalling the app from the official repo (again). This will reinstall Installous along with any missing dependencies that may be forcing Cydia to remove Installous.

14. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

This thread makes no sense from the OP in parts.
    If you don't use it, then why do you have it?
    You also claim you don't use it but you say earlier that the program works.

Just pay for the software. Is $.99 or $1.99 really that expensive when you own a $600+ phone? The developers are more motivated to update software and create new software when they are being compensated.

15. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I wish I could find it now, but there was that funny cartoon flying around about a month ago. The guy in the cartoon dropped money without abandon in every panel until the last panel when he was torn from paying .99 for an app.

16. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

This one? http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

17. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

18. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Yeah, it's insane. I'm a developer and got killed in reviews for the Lite version of my app for the full version being $1.99. So I lowered it to $0.99 and sales didn't improve, so my profit went down.

I also got hit bad by piracy. I did excellent on my first day, but had practically zero purchases on my second. Turns out I made the front page of a major pirate site. I haven't looked in awhile, but at one point my installed base was made up of 92% pirated copies. I'm under no illusions that they all would have purchased, but I'm sure it hurt my bottom line. It never recovered.

19. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

What is the name of your app? I will buy it if I have a use for it, would love to help support you.

20. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That's a hard hit, sorry to hear that, It is so sad to read stuff like that. :(

21. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

It is extremely saddening to hear that kind of thing. I keep hearing about it more and more though.

22. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Hahahaha. Says the guy who's username is robinhood.

23. Orion126 macrumors regular

I use Installous when I want to test an app before purchasing it...max I keep it on my phone is a week. After that I either purchase or delete.

I sleep very well at night.

24. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Thank you for the response. This is what I was thinking as well. And I did notice that Installous was listed in the items to be removed, but just for a split second, and thought that maybe I was imagining it. Anyway, it's a moot point, like I said, and I'm not trying to bend my story in some way to trick people into helping me pirate apps. I have absolutely no problem with paying for an app I like. I, too, sleep very well at night whether or not Installous is on my phone.

25. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Thanks for the condolences, guys. If you're making an app, do everything possible to keep out the pirates for the first few months. They're key.

My game's name is Sproing, and it was the first Snood-like game in the store, so it's pretty old now, but got great reviews. My sales are low, so I haven't updated in a long while. I appreciate the sentiment, but I wouldn't recommend a purchase. I doubt I'll make any major changes, I'm working on coming up with a new idea instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.