Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
It played well on the A8 of the ATV4 for you, but now is crap on the newer ATV? I wonder if it is playing @4K on the new ATV.

Not sure if this is the issue, but gaming developers complained about the A12's GPU in the ATV4K2 having lower real world performance than the A10X in the ATV4K1.

It could be that it is not optimized for the newer ATV, or just bugs and glit.
I don’t know. It plays well(ish) on my older 4K ATV with the older remote. It might be a remote thing, because I’m using the new ATV4K with an Xbox controller ?‍♂️

Sad to see so much potential wasted…

Normally, Asphalt would have a high score/rating, but it doesn’t on the ATV Arcade store. So, I don’t think I’m the only one having serious issues with the game on the ATV…

thetowerlibrary

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2022
I have apple arcade with an Apple One subscription. If it wasn't effectively a bonus, as I would subscribe to Apple Music and Apple TV+ separately if Apple One didn't exist, I wouldn't pay for it.

Far more interested in playing the types of games available on PS5, Series X than the Apple Arcade.

iTundra

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
The problem is you're trying to use an antiquated way of consuming media (linear scheduled broadcast) on a device designed for modern media consumption (on-demand steaming).
Not all content is on-demand streaming. For example, in the morning my wife and I watch Bloomberg. With my old antiquated cable box a single press of a button turned on the TV's and changed to Bloomberg. It is totally possible for ATV to do the same; select Hulu app / Live / Bloomberg. These are not difficult hooks to program.

Even for on-demand streaming it'd be nice to have a single button that opens a particular app such as Netflix. This one isn't nearly as many clicks saved but would still be preferred over scrolling down, over and clicking.

Similarly, I would like to be able to pop up an app like Security Spy. For example, someone rings the doorbell which triggers a pop-up with the appropriate camera.

OverTheHill

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2021
AppleTV is a great Product that I hope never goes away. It offloads image and audio processing from your TV so it can focus on producing the best and audio image quality. My hope is things like DTS audio are in its future and that they increase file size over time for better image and audio. Perhaps the ability to download a film to the device itself as it’s playing that automatically dumps when you have finished watching a movie or after a 24 hour period (you hear me Apple and content providers? Find a fix for this contractually). The later being the biggest gap in all streaming to help those with lower bandwidth options. Having a gig into the house has forever altered our streaming experience, but not everyone has this capability. If anyone can get it done, it’s Apple with a closed device like AppleTV to prevent offloading of the content. It may be the only way to deliver 8k streaming anyway On a large scale. Think TiVo for your movie collection..kalaidescape is also a good example in how it delivers streaming content, but the average consumer isn’t going to be able to use something like that. A 256GB model that allows for 3-4 4k disc equivalent downloads to the device would do the trick. A TV will never have that kind of storage.

This is how you do it, but again, the average consumer can’t access something like this:

Last edited:

jwolf6589

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
AppleTV is a great Product that I hope never goes away. It offloads image and audio processing from your TV so it can focus on producing the best and audio image quality. My hope is things like DTS audio are in its future and that they increase file size over time for better image and audio. Perhaps the ability to download a film to the device itself as it’s playing that automatically dumps when you have finished watching a movie or after a 24 hour period (you hear me Apple and content providers? Find a fix for this contractually). The later being the biggest gap in all streaming to help those with lower bandwidth options. Having a gig into the house has forever altered our streaming experience, but not everyone has this capability. If anyone can get it done, it’s Apple with a closed device like AppleTV to prevent offloading of the content. It may be the only way to deliver 8k streaming anyway On a large scale. Think TiVo for your movie collection..kalaidescape is also a good example in how it delivers streaming content, but the average consumer isn’t going to be able to use something like that. A 256GB model that allows for 3-4 4k disc equivalent downloads to the device would do the trick. A TV will never have that kind of storage.

This is how you do it, but again, the average consumer can’t access something like this:

My ATV HAS as much memory as my applewatch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.