Has the sound quality of the 2018 MBP's speakers dropped after the second supplemental update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Axiomer, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Axiomer macrumors newbie

I was told by an ECE expert that the way Apple fixed the speakers crackling in 2018 MBP was just cutting the high frequency part in audio signal, which harmed the sound quality of speakers. And yes, I noticed the music sounded different after the supplemental update 2......
    Does anybody feel the same?

2. 1096bimu macrumors 6502

1096bimu

You mean first you read about them cutting the high frequency part of the audio,
    and then you noticed that it sounded different?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

3. rurza macrumors member

I have the same feeling. The sound isn't as deep as before.

4. 1096bimu macrumors 6502

1096bimu

If it sounds less "deep" it would be a cut off of lower frequencies, the opposite of the OP is claiming.

5. rurza macrumors member

I used bad word – it isn't as rich as before. Anyway I'm just answering to the question from topic title – and it's entirely subjective but it wasn't suggested by anyone:)

6. Axiomer thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I had noticed that it sounded different before I heard that the news. Before I knew that the sound quality might be lowered, I didn't care about the change of sound, because I thought it was my illusion.

7. davidec macrumors regular

davidec

Yes there’s no doubt Apple have applied a high shelf cut of about 1 or 2 dB at 6k and above with the supplemental update. High frequencies have been attenuated. It’s a shame as I have zero idea how that would have contributed to the sample rate speakers popping issue. Obviously a myopic decision by someone to try and mask the cracking / popping. I really hope they revert that move with the next update.

8. soiramk macrumors member

soiramk

But the 'popping/crackling' issue, still exists after supplemental update... So what is supposed it fixed?

9. afas macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, nothing. The crackling problem is still there and it is very likely to damage your speakers if you ignore it by cranking up the volume. Let's hope in a quick resolution.

10. AsherMenezes macrumors newbie

AsherMenezes

Apple is still working I contacted them ! Don't know how long it takes for them to fix this issue.
    And they really need to get their act together to fix and stop having every Apple device including iPhone's having one issue after another!