Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your sapphire screen scratched yet?

• Yes

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 87 84.5%

• Total voters

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Those chips look too thick to be a coating.

If they're grooved and when you run over them with your fingers are hard, it's probably the surface of the sapphire. Did you lean against a concrete wall or something abrasive like that? A aggregate material like that can contain small fragments that are harder than sapphire and with pressure would cause damage. That's kind of what it looks like, but I can't really tell from the shot.

If not, I suggest you polish the hell out of it and see if they start to dissipate.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
You got asked some very good questions so far. Wow, I've not seen damage like that to the sapphire yet. Any idea what happened? I have no suggestions and so far have to second the one made by Melman101

Reactions: melman101

fooyork

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
I drunkenly scraped my watch face against a brick wall to demonstrate the saphire to some friends and it didn't scratch... what did you do?!

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
If it's the coating some plastic watch scratch paste will get it out pretty easily. So will coarse toothpaste, but that'll take a bit of effort.

Obviously you'd lose the effects of the coating, but it's better than a scratch.

yozh

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2008
Hello All,

I have a Apple Watch Stainless Steel originally with black sports band. I`ve had since third week of the release or so. Last night I notice a small, but still some what visible scratch on the left top corner of the screen, the scratch is where the edge and black portion starts, you cant feel it with a finger or fingernail, but it is there, almost like its under the screen. I`m confused on how is this possible and what to do about this now, one of the reasons I paid extra was to get sapphire.

EDIT: Pictures added.
The more I look at it the stranger it looks to me. I did not get hit by a diamond if someone is thinking that.

Attachments

• IMG_8058 (1).JPG
    IMG_8058 (1).JPG
    510 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_8061.JPG
    IMG_8061.JPG
    414.7 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_8062.JPG
    IMG_8062.JPG
    452.2 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
This has been discussed several times and it is likely just the oleophobic coating and not the crystal.

Take a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol and wipe on the 'scratch' and it will go away.

yozh

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2008
This has been discussed several times and it is likely just the oleophobic coating and not the crystal.

Take a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol and wipe on the 'scratch' and it will go away.
I did that with alcohol pads and using 91% alcohol and its still there, actually looks more shiny(the scratch)

yozh

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2008
WOW, after fighting with this scratch (which does not come off) I noticed a huge one, which I`m not sure how I ever missed, on the bottom, that looks very similar, also on where the black portion starts.

Attachments

• IMG_8068.JPG
    IMG_8068.JPG
    779.3 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_8069.JPG
    IMG_8069.JPG
    787.9 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_8070.JPG
    IMG_8070.JPG
    735.4 KB · Views: 380

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The first scratch even goes out onto your stainless steel. Must have been quite a hit.

The second scratches are maybe no really scratches but left by your Milanese band. I have see similar images with other that had the same watch in this forum.

Reactions: CellXor10

yozh

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2008
No there are no marks in SS, thats reflection, there are minor scratches on SS, but thats normal for SS watch, whats not normal are that huge scratch on the bottom and top of the crystal.

But you might have a point, I put on the new band this week and this 2 showed up, do you think both of them are from the band ?

The problem is they are not coming off with anything I tried and I cant feel them, is pretty strange.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
No there are no marks in SS, thats reflection, there are minor scratches on SS, but thats normal for SS watch, whats not normal are that huge scratch on the bottom and top of the crystal.

But you might have a point, I put on the new band this week and this 2 showed up, do you think both of them are from the band ?

The problem is they are not coming off with anything I tried and I cant feel them, is pretty strange.

It could very well be deposits left on top of the screen my metal. I hate to even suggest this but a soft eraser might remove it. Use it in a very small area to make sure it does not hurt the face. Not responsible if it does. I have read other threads where your mesh band has left marks on the screen.

In your first three images I am still seeing what looks like a scratch just right of the marks.

Last edited:

yozh

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2008
Well after trying multiple things and getting really frustrated, I spoke to apple and showed them pictures. They setup a mail-in repair. Lets see what happens with that.

This "scratches" only showed up after I got this bracelet. While I do really like the band, I`m now thinking of returning it, if it will cause more damage to the watch, what do you guys think, is it really the band ?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Well after trying multiple things and getting really frustrated, I spoke to apple and showed them pictures. They setup a mail-in repair. Lets see what happens with that.

This "scratches" only showed up after I got this bracelet. While I do really like the band, I`m now thinking of returning it, if it will cause more damage to the watch, what do you guys think, is it really the band ?

I returned my Milanese Loop for a Sport band because every time I would put my watch on and tighten the band it would rub against the casing and cause light scratches.

I reported this to Apple and they basically told me "You're tightening it wrong".

yozh

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2008
The problem is there are no good metal bracelets, I dont want to pay $500 for the link case. The body scratches are normal on SS and usually come of with polishing.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I returned my Milanese Loop for a Sport band because every time I would put my watch on and tighten the band it would rub against the casing and cause light scratches.

I reported this to Apple and they basically told me "You're tightening it wrong".

I have the Milanese Loop w/SS, and have no scratches on the case. You just have to be careful not to let the band flop over on top of the case.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
The problem is there are no good metal bracelets, I dont want to pay $500 for the link case. The body scratches are normal on SS and usually come of with polishing.

I think what you're actually saying is that there are good metal bracelets (Apple link bracelets), but you don't want to pay what a good quality link bracelet costs. ;)

Reactions: Shinigami301

Shinigami301

Suspended
Jun 5, 2010
cogito, ergo zoom.
Exactly. The stainless link is truly excellent, and not overpriced- in fact, relatively cheap- compared to bracelets for any of my Swiss watches. I think that there are a lot of people with no clue what high quality bracelets cost.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I could never bring myself to buy an Apple band for a first generation watch that costs more then the entry level watch. It just seems wrong. It does look nice but then again so do many after market link bands which are a lot less expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.