Haswell MacBook Pro - NOT THIS YEAR

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarakn, Sep 24, 2013.

  1. sarakn macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #1
    I have a very strong suspicion that the rumors of rMBP with Haswell processor started as nothing but a rumor that grew out of control.

    I've followed the rumors since February with different release dates according to Kuo and ilk and NOTHING has been remotely close to the truth. Even back in June when Air was announced and Apple mentioned plans for Mac Pro, nothing was mentioned with regard to rMBP with Haswell.

    Sadly, this has been a case for willing something to happen based on a rumor that was created from a source whose predictions have been wrong more than accurate. Hey, a stopped clock is wrong twice a day.

    If you need a rMBP, buy now. This wait has been a waste of time and I wish I had not fallen for it.

    As much as we want Apple to release new hardware, believing rumors will not make it so.
     
  2. leman macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    #2
    Rumours? There are no rumours, there are predictions. Upgrading to Haswell is a reasonable thing to do, and Apple already did it with the MacBook Air and the iMac. There could have been a number of reasons why rMBP was delayed. And by the way, there were absolutely NO rumours of todays iMac refresh. It just happened. All we know, the new rMBP could be announced tomorrow. Or next spring. I would certainly wait a bit if I was in a market for a new laptop.
     
  3. Nee412 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2010
    Location:
    Sunny England!
    #3
    Apple will refresh the rMBP this side of Christmas. There's no reason for them not to. Saying they won't is rather like saying there's no chance of updated iMacs because there's been no rumours...

    Oh... wait...
     
  4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

    KUguardgrl13

    Joined:
    May 16, 2013
    Location:
    Kansas, USA
    #4
    There has been at least one MacBook Pro (if not two) released every year since 2006. Let's be honest, the February release wasn't the true second generation.

    At this point I wouldn't be surprised if people continue to wait and don't buy the current models. I'm certainly content to wait despite having a 13" paperweight. No one who knows what should be coming will buy what is currently available.
     
  5. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #5
    My point is since February, these rumors/predictions have been made without any reliable bit of proof.

    Of course, Apple will release a new rMBP, but saying it's going to be released next month, in 3 months, 6 months, etc does not make it so.

    I can say iphone 6 will be released in Feb. In Feb, i'll push out the release date and then do that a few months later. Eventually, iphone 6 will be released but that does not mean I knew what I was talking about when the original prediction was made.
     
  6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

    KUguardgrl13

    Joined:
    May 16, 2013
    Location:
    Kansas, USA
    #6
    As long as Intel continues to make announcements about their processors before Apple announces the machines, the rumors and speculation will continue to fly. There is already a Broadwell thread.

    In general people around here tend to start the rumor mill for the next product after the new one is released. iOS 8 and iPhone 6 should be appearing soon.
     
  7. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #7
    Exactly. I should have paid more attention to the name of the site and purchased a laptop earlier.
     
  8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

    Krazy Bill

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2011
    #8
    I don't see how Apple can avoid an upgrade. Intel sets the tempo for this.
     
  9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

    KUguardgrl13

    Joined:
    May 16, 2013
    Location:
    Kansas, USA
    #9
    True that. Companies using old processors reflect back on them (investors!). They want their new chips out there.
     
  10. GSPice macrumors 68000

    GSPice

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2008
    #10
    So I guess we have to believe your rumor. Come back and post after the Haswells are released in 2013, k? ;)
     
  11. jxie0755 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2013
    #11

    I think I can afford, and prefer to waste some time, comparing than a waste of my money on current model based on your version of "rumor' and "speculation".

    But you can go ahead buy it right now, I will definitely not stop you from emptying the stock of current model.
     
  12. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #12
    Haswell Macbook Pro benches have already appeared in Geekbench. The machine undisputably exists.

    The source of the delay is likely Mavericks.
     
  13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    #13
    Apple has been on a pretty regular 8 month cycle with the MBPs:

    February 2011 - Sandy Bridge MBPs
    October 2011 - Sandy Bridge Spec Bump
    June 2012 - Ivy Bridge MBPs (13" not released until October 2012)
    February 2013 - Ivy Bridge Spec Bump

    That makes the next logic update in the October 2013 timeframe. I think the real mistake was thinking that Apple would do a spec bump in February just to release all new models a couple months later.
     
  14. frow3n macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2013
    #14
    Broadwell... won't bring masses of gains.
    Tick-tock cycle for intel processors
    Tick is the big improvement
    tock is more progressive.. a slight improvement

    - sandy bridge ivy bridge
    same with haswell and broadwell

    And that is why I shall get Haswell.
     
  15. azentropy macrumors 68020

    azentropy

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Location:
    Surprise
    #15
    New rMBP are coming in two weeks. In two weeks after that we will have the next gen iPad announcement.

    Source: thin air - or maybe not ;)
     
  16. Rick-ITA macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    #16
    TICK: time 0 [2/11]
    TICK spec bump: +8 months [10/11]
    TOCK: + 8 months [6/12]
    TOCK spec bump: + 8 months [2/13]
    ....

    TICK: + 8 months [10/13]

    Never thought about this amazing regolarity in MBP releases!

    Ah, TICK is for a new gen. That is an improvement as the one of 2 years ago. It's not just a spec bump or an evolutionary upgrade.

    Ah //2: the incoming rMBP are also the second generation retina macbook. Sorry if I'm not so happy to play the first gen russian roulette with my money.

    AMEN
     
  17. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #17
    I wish I could believe you all because that means I can get a laptop sooner. :)

    I don't know what it was, but when I read Google News and say iMac was released today.... let's just say I was not happy. I've been strung along and betrayed :).:)
     
  18. GSPice macrumors 68000

    GSPice

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2008
    #18
    Can't blame anyone but yourself for that. ;) Don't worry, the rMBP is not the next Mac Pro. :)
     
  19. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #19
    I know, I know. After seeing iMac released, I got jealous and was just being "Bitter, party of one."
     
  20. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2013
    Location:
    Indiana
    #20
    I got my machine in February just after they refreshed the lineup and dropped prices on storage upgrades. The rumors had been going around well before then and I was advised at that time to 'just wait until June'.

    Those were unfounded rumors. The fact that the rest of the lineup is already updated and that Mavericks is slated for a release next month lend some credibility to the idea of an October launch, however.
     
  21. FuFuFu macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
    #21
    The are waiting for Thunderbolt 2 to be ready.
     
  22. LoganT macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2007
    #22
    I've been waiting for them to update the retina macbook pro's for six months now. It would be stupid to just give up now.
     
  23. JonDziok macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2013
    Location:
    Washington DC
    #23
    I don't want to hear ANYTHING about having to wait 6 months etc...
    I've been waiting for 3 years to updates my 2006 2nd gen Core Duo (not even Core 2 Duo) 15" MBP. I stand to gain the most from the release from a benchmark of 4285 to roughly 13000+ (average of the most recent 2.6 cMBP and coincidentally the 2.8 rMBP). I need to be able to see rationale for the retina screen draining system resources just to run and have been waiting for 4k output with Thunderbolt 2. Then, I will invest another $2300 in a new MBP.

    To tell the tale, though, it was the best $2300 I ever spent and roughly breaks down to $350/year since it's still working reliably. I'm upgrading because the damn thing, while reliable with all common computing tasks, still barely chugs through 1080p at 1/4 resolution preview. I just don't want to skimp on rendering speed because of some ********* display sucking all of the power.

    Oh, and if there is no dGPU, I'll just grab a 2012 refurb cMBP for $1800. /endrant
     
  24. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #24
    OP, come back to us in a few weeks. All you're posting is speculation, which quite frankly doesn't make much sense.
     
  25. magbarn macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    #25
    So far Haswell has been nowhere near the performance upgrade to Ivy Bridge that Sandy Bridge was compared to Arrandale. Despite being a so-called 'tick', it's been about the same upgrade performance wise as between Sandy to Ivy. (Actually, when it came to the MBA, with the exception of battery life , Haswell has offered hardly any CPU performance difference to Ivy).If the rMBP Haswell has no dGPU, I'll definitely be waiting for Broadwell as it will have a fully revamped iGPU. Haswell's Iris Pro is hardly any faster than last year's GT650M.
     

Share This Page