Carrier Have you returned your AT&T Next iphones after upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kendicles, Sep 26, 2015.

1. kendicles macrumors newbie

Have you returned returned to at&t your old iphone that was on the Next program after upgrading to 6s/plus via the apple iphone upgrade program? how did you do it?

2. MiRod407 macrumors member

I started a chat with AT&T earlier today for the same question. The person on the other end basically told me I could return it into the store. I hope it's just that easy.

3. Nanotyrns macrumors 6502a

Nanotyrns

When I picked up my phone at the Apple store today, they gave me a return label and -- wait for it -- a bubble-wrap padded envelope to send my phone back in. Not a box. An envelope. USPS.

The salesman said "That's what AT&T gave us to send them back in."

I think I'll add some cardboard or something to stiffen it up. And take pics of it before I send it. I don't want to pound on the USPS too much but once my mom sent me a printer USPS and it looked like it had been kicked here all the way from Georgia.

4. kendicles thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! did you go for another Next plan? or apple iphone upgrade program?

5. soldierblue macrumors 6502

I went to an AT&T corporate store and they indicated they do not take Next trades in-store (despite being told the opposite over the phone) and that it had to be shipped to AT&T. I called them back and they generated a label for me.

I seriously can't even deal.

6. HEK Suspended

HEK

I went to corporate store today tried to turn in phone. Said they could not take it, had to be shipped back using label. Boxed it up in same box as new phone came in, removed ups labels, taped on usps shipping sticker and will take to post office tomorrow.

7. Nanotyrns macrumors 6502a

Nanotyrns

Yeah I did the Next 12 again. The Apple Dumpling Gang no doubt have some serious tech going into the iPhone 7 so I'll need to be able to upgrade at launch.

8. duaneu macrumors 6502a

You just have to return the phone itself, right? Not the charger and all the other things that originally came with it?

9. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Has anyone been able to return their old Next iPhone to a corporate AT&T Store? I've been told by multiple reps that this was definitely possible with the only caveat being that it could not be simply an "authorized retailer" store. I want to be able to give it to someone in person and get a receipt for doing so. My latest bill currently shows a charge now for both phones but I've been assured a credit will be applied once they reeve the old.

10. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

I was told that the AT&T stores WILL NOT take the phones back even if you got it there. I talked to AT&T Support and they said a box should be sent out within the week to return it. The also generated a return label for me. The thing is... the first person I talked to generated the label and said you could buy some bubble wrap or something to secure it. I said "I'm not going to go spend more money to return something to you that should have already been arranged..." The second person I talked to said that I should get a return box within a week after the new phone arrived.

I literally have zero idea if we'll see a box or not as no one can tell me [FOR SURE] if one is being sent. I'll give it till Thursday, if nothing, I'll use the label they generated. It was also interesting that the return label they generated uses the US Postal Service. Basically, they didn't tell me what needed to be returned either. I'm going to assume it's purely the phone as the cable/charger aren't going to be re-purposed anyways. Calling these carrier support people is an exercise in futility. Just once I'd like to get an honest and accurate answer from them.

11. Munitalp macrumors 65816

We upgraded 4 iPhones that were on AT&T Next 12. We were told the shipping label and form to mail them back would be in the box with our new phones but there wasn't any at all. We received an email from Apple for one of the lines with a return label and ATT Next Trade In form that we have to sign. But we are still missing the other 3 forms. We talked to ATT and they said just take it to a corporate wireless store -- so we tried that and they absolutely wouldn't accept the phones. They say they can't process or accept any Next Trade Ins. Now we are stuck because ATT says they don't have anyway to send us the other Next Trade In forms that are required to send the phone in... It seems the forms are generated automatically by Apple when they process the upgrade or something and can't be redone? So no idea how were ever going to return these now... Do they want us to just keep them?

12. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

I plan to just sell my iPhone 6 and just pay off the balance at an at&t store instead of just giving the phone back. The end result is me at least having extra money after paying off the balance rather than just giving a perfectly good phone back. If I don't sell it within a certain period I will end up just returning it.

13. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

I ordered my phone from Apple and AT&T emailed me the shipping return label along with Next agreement that I had to sign. I wrapped old iPhone in bubble wrap and put it and the agreement inside and taped it up, dropped it off at post office.

14. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

I paid my old phone off so I didn't have to send it back, but my wife's Galaxy S5 wasn't being paid off. Her iPhone box also didn't have anything in it other than the packing list. It's ridiculous. It's almost like they're making it impossible to return them just so they can charge the fee for it not being returned. I'm going to call AT&T again tomorrow.

15. acmeplus, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

acmeplus macrumors member

I also ordered 2 iPhones and haven't received the trade in shipping label and/or box, just a trade-in form with no details or shipping address detailed.

Update: just had a chat with Apple, this is what they told me:

• It is my understanding that you have to ship the phone back to AT&T, and you will have to contact them for shipping labels.
    • I know that there has been some confusion on the process of getting labels. just a moment, let me double check with my manager.
    • You will have to contact AT&T, mention that you are returning a phone on the NEXT plan and they will send you a shipping label.
    So I'm going to chat with AT&T and see what they say.

16. matt550 macrumors 6502

Do I have to send the charger and cable as well?

17. acmeplus macrumors member

My guess is that you just need to return the phone and should be able to keep the charger and the cable. But keep in mind that I haven't returned mine yet.

18. joefrank64k macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

I preordered 2 6s+'s through the Apple App using Next. Apple emailed the Next agreement, trade-in instructions, and shipping labels to me on 09/24.

The instructions were to place the iPhone in a padded envelope, along with a signed print out of Next agreement, in the box the new iPhones came in. The shipping label is for USPS. They said to make sure and get a receipt when I dropped them off (of course).

They also said not to include anything other than the iPhones: no charger, cable, headphones or sims. Works for me! :)

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'm no longer with att but My understanding was you HAVE to mail it in. I had also heard of the bubble wrap envelopes, but you can use any box. I put the phone in envelopes, folded it over, grabbed a used amazing box and out it in there with some more airbags. Slap the label on that and you're good to go. I'm personally not comfortable shipping in just a padded envelope. I haven't heard of horror stories but they're pretty clear about their willingness to charge you for repairs.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They actually specifically request you send nothing but the phone.

21. HEK Suspended

HEK

I got the agreement to sign and shipping label in email. Ordered new phone via Apple App using Next upgrade. Erased old phone, took out SIM card, packaged it back in original Apple box with accessories and used the Apple shipping box new phone came in. I have plenty of cables, earphones and chargers so sent back oldest ones I had. It wasn't clear if the accessories should be sent back, but I don't want to risk AT&T holding back $200 dollars saying parts are missing.

Whole reason to use Next was to avoid past selling hassles. I too, tried turning into corporate store. They refused saying the return transactions have already been initiate and they could not void them. Have to send back by usps.

22. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I called the corporate store near me and they said they will not accept the old iPhone. I was told I needed to call 611, and ask for a box and label to be sent to me. When I did so, I was told they have no way to send me a box or label and that stores should be accepting phones. I tried to explain the conflicting information and he said he would submit a complaint about the store and that the issue would be resolved tomorrow. He said they would contact me but in the text he sent after the call, it says to go back to the store. I'm totally confused.

To complicate the matter more, I have been billed for a 13 installment on the old iPhone and for the first installment of the new one. Has anyone else had this happen? I complained about this also and received a credit for the payment (plus tax although none should have been added but the rep said that was his fault and it's now just an extra amount I will receive). I have now looked at my account online and it shows the old Next installment plan as Canceled and zero balance remaining. There is nothing that says they are waitIng for the old iPhone. Does anyone else's acount look like this? I almost suspect the rep I spoke up ended my plan prematurely and they are not expecting any phone or payments. What went from being the most stress free iPhone upgrade I've done, to now being so confusing is beyond me. But at least I have the new iPhone in hand, so that's something.

23. joefrank64k macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

From the Next shipping instructions:

24. Nanotyrns macrumors 6502a

Nanotyrns

Call Customer Service to be sure but they told me just to send in the phone and not the charger/cable. Gazelle phones the same way. In fact, I now have 4 sets of EarPods, chargers and lightening cables because I never have to let them go.

25. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I tried the store but was told no so I came home and called support. They emailed me a label that I taped to the box that my 6S Plus came in along with the original box my 6 Plus came in. I dropped it in my mailbox and its on its way. I should have dropped it at the post office and asked for a receipt but we'll see what happens.