Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobaxMan

Suspended
May 1, 2018
Pretty easy to see how 10-16 million iPhone X sales, last quarter, could get lost in a world population of 7.6 Billion.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
All these sightings prove the purpose of the notch, to show others you have an iPhone x.

Or simply just because consumers want to upgrade to the latest model iPhone. No matter how you look at it, it’s just a smart phone. I generally think the average consumer doesn’t care about which iPhone someone has as much as others do on a tech forum.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Definitely not a dime a dozen. I’ve seen them but they aren’t ubiquitous.

I still believe my theory is that it’s still a relatively new iPhone, and consumers will upgrade when it’s appropriate, not just because a new iPhone is necessarily available. It likely depends on how much they owe on their previous iPhone or when they’re eligible to actually upgrade through their carrier. But more so over time, you will see the growth of the iPhone X, its just different for everyone’s schedule.

Reactions: timeconsumer

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Definitely not a dime a dozen. I’ve seen them but they aren’t ubiquitous.
Exactly. I remember when the iPhone 5 came out we had probably a dozen of them throughout our offices the week of release. People actually compared and discussed each other’s phones then too. Compare that to now and nobody where I work has an X and nobody ever asks about your mobile phone any more. I really do think times have changed. Smartphones have got so good I think the assumption is everybody has one and the playing field is level.

I’m not surprised I don’t see many X’s in the wild as I predicted that to be the case at the very start. I thought I would have seen more than 2 in nearly seven months though. If I had seen ten of them I would think that is a small number, but two is pretty amazing.

nathasnajperowa

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
Don’t think there’s much more to it other than Face ID compared to the 8. The OLED display doesn’t make much of a difference to the average user. Other “smaller” specs like Portrait Lighting on the front camera are not worth two hundred euros more. Also the 1K barrier works as a psychological deterrent for many people. I guess they did not disclose the actual number or % of Xs sold vs the other iPhone models either individually or combined or did they?

“Apple CEO declined to provide specific information on iPhone X sales”

But bezelless design is the difference for average iPhone user. Design attracts attention. iPhone X is the only IOS smartphone looking compatible due to modern flagship android phones.
More than anything X is trendsetter with infamous notch :)
Every other iPhones than X model look archaic and outdated.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
Unless you live in a very small rural town no way anyone would of only seen 2 if you are looking. I live in a 60K rural area and work from home so don't mix in work/businees places but have still seen plenty.
As i have said i know 19/20 year olds that only work casual that have them, just like any other iPhone here if buying on contract.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
And here it is May and I still have never seen an X. I don't even know anyone else with an iPhone. I have several iPhones, 8+, 7+, 6S+, 6S, 2 SEs and never was interested in an X.

At my job, it's all Android.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I work at the (International) Airport here in Amsterdam. I see at least 20 to 30 iPhone X a day.
From really young passengers (12-16 years old) to older passenger up to 60-65 years old and all ages between.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Unless you live in a very small rural town no way anyone would of only seen 2 if you are looking. I live in a 60K rural area and work from home so don't mix in work/businees places but have still seen plenty.
As i have said i know 19/20 year olds that only work casual that have them, just like any other iPhone here if buying on contract.
Well your claim is quickly disproven by my experience. I live in a town with a population of around 40k and about 30 miles from Cardiff. It’s not rural by any means and I’ve only seen two. Apart from through the window of the Apple store I am yet to spot any here. A mate of mine had one for a couple of months and then upgraded and I saw one on a day trip to Bristol. If I went to London I may see more but as it stands two is the figure.

You live in a different country and one where the X is a lot cheaper by your claims. The high price has been well pushed by the media here and I’m convinced it’s put people off.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Anyone can compare any town or city they live in and give their own anecdotal responses to how many iPhone X’s they see in public. The reality is, is they do exist and they are out their. Rather you see them or not, doesn’t mean that they are not “Selling” or “No one wants one”, it’s just being at the right place at the right time when someone does actually see one. But make no mistake, Apple likely sells thousands of iPhone X’s every day, regardless of what somebody sees based off their demographic of location.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
All these sightings prove the purpose of the notch, to show others you have an iPhone x.

iphone-x-money-1024x538.jpg

Almost as good as my Rolex Daytona at attracting attention.

Reactions: ftaok

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
iphone-x-money-1024x538.jpg

Almost as good as my Rolex Daytona at attracting attention.

My guess is the only people who notice the iPhone X are the ones who already have it. With monthly plans almost anyone can have one. Whether it is the best use of their money is another subject. I can't speak for the Rolex. The only watch I'm interested in owning is the Apple Watch.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Anyone can compare any town or city they live in and give their own anecdotal responses to how many iPhone X’s they see in public. The reality is, is they do exist and they are out their. Rather you see them or not, doesn’t mean that they are not “Selling” or “No one wants one”, it’s just being at the right place at the right time when someone does actually see one. But make no mistake, Apple likely sells thousands of iPhone X’s every day, regardless of what somebody sees based off their demographic of location.
Maybe the problem is I’m comparing it to previous iPhones too much and expecting the popularity of those to be echoed by the X? It’s obviously sold well as the claims from Apple suggest, I’m just surprised I haven’t seen more in what is a wealthy western developed country.

I’ve always said it’s a more niche product with a smaller market and this year it’s competing for 1/7th of the iPhone market so in that sense I shouldn’t be surprised they are not a ‘dime a dozen’.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I live in the DMV and I've seen my fair share of them. I would have to say I see more 6,7,8 series than X's but I still see them fairly regularly.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I was going to come in and trash this thread, because I live in the US, and they are pretty much everywhere, so if you leave your house you will see like 5 of them. Then I remembered that the US isn't the entire world, and not everywhere is as wealthy as the US, plus the whole exchange rate problem.

A month or two ago a classmate wanted my number and just handed me his phone and I was like WHOA... that's an X.

That being said, no one can be saying that Apple isn't selling a ton of iPhone X's.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I was going to come in and trash this thread, because I live in the US, and they are pretty much everywhere, so if you leave your house you will see like 5 of them. Then I remembered that the US isn't the entire world, and not everywhere is as wealthy as the US, plus the whole exchange rate problem.

A month or two ago a classmate wanted my number and just handed me his phone and I was like WHOA... that's an X.

That being said, no one can be saying that Apple isn't selling a ton of iPhone X's.
I’m not sure popularity is necessarily determined by regions that are more wealthy than others. I live in Britain which is fairly wealthy compared to much of Europe with consumer spending up on ten years ago. Thousand pound products aren’t out of reach to a significant segment of the market for instance. I think a lot of it is to do with perceptions and the way the iPhone X was covered here. The exchange rate doesn’t help and the media really emphasised that you’d be paying £999+ for an iPhone that does much the same thing as the iPhone you already own.

iPhone 7’s sold really well here after the 8 hit the shops and this coincided with carriers hiking contract prices up. Our largest mobile retailer ‘Carphone Warehouse claimed as much as 25% of the UK market were not upgrading in comparison to the year before blaming higher prices and phones no longer offering significant differences year on year. I get the impression the hype around the X in the US was pretty large whereas you could walk into an Apple store here on launch day and buy one in my local city. It did sell out though but the available number was small to begin with. I’ve seen 2 ever and that is something I’m pretty amazed at. America apparently had 40% of its global market so it’s no surprise Americans here see more of them than us.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I live in the DMV and I've seen my fair share of them. I would have to say I see more 6,7,8 series than X's but I still see them fairly regularly.

I by far see way more of the iPhone 6/7/8 series then anything else. But I think within the next six months, I think the iPhone X proportionally will be observed much more in public once you have those who are able to upgrade at their leisure.

Reactions: Ta0jin

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I’m not sure popularity is necessarily determined by regions that are more wealthy than others.

I'm sure there are other factors at play as well, but if you're in a place where most people just can't afford the iPhone X, then you're not going to see many of them.

America apparently had 40% of its global market so it’s no surprise Americans here see more of them than us.

I'm surprised they haven't done better in the UK. Around here, 7's and 8's are still far more prevalent, but given how many of those there are, I still see plenty of X's around. I also live in a relatively wealthy state, so that probably helps too. I can spot a X across the room now because of the notch, which was clearly part of the design....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.