Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
It would be of interest yeah, but as long as it has 3DTouch. I use that feature so much, especially navigating the cursor while typing that I can’t do without it. My wife’s SE does my head in as it doesn’t have it. The size would be key too as I hate large phones.

I think i’ll likely get an iPhone 8 when I upgrade in September or keep my 6S as its working very well. I’m in two minds to be honest as neither option is particularly new or exciting.

You have gumtree there right? thats where i pick up my iPhones then onsell if don't like or want or make a few $$, there is bargains now for a 8, example: i just bought a 8 256gb 1 week old for $600AUD for my daughter and sold her SE for $300 worth $1329 new.

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
Dozens since introduction date, but the very first one I saw was being used by a highway construction worker in an Arby's- not quite what I expected. There's an object lesson there about stereotyping.

Likewise. The first one I noticed after getting mine was a young Vietnamese guy, probably 18-20, who doesn't speak English and works in a nail salon. Although I don't really pay much attention, I do think I see more 8's and 8+'s than X's. Mostly I see the X's at the fitness center and in restaurants in the city.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You have gumtree there right? thats where i pick up my iPhones then onsell if don't like or want or make a few $$, there is bargains now for a 8, example: i just bought a 8 256gb 1 week old for $600AUD for my daughter and sold her SE for $300 worth $1329 new.
If I was tempted to buy secondhand it would be somewhere that has buyer protection like eBay. Gumtree has far too many scammers selling iCloud locked iPhones I wouldn’t want to take the risk. I prefer contracts to be honest so I’m not parting with hundreds of pounds in one go. If I had to pay out £600 in one go just for a phone, I probably wouldn’t bother.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
If I was tempted to buy secondhand it would be somewhere that has buyer protection like eBay. Gumtree has far too many scammers selling iCloud locked iPhones I wouldn’t want to take the risk. I prefer contracts to be honest so I’m not parting with hundreds of pounds in one go. If I had to pay out £600 in one go just for a phone, I probably wouldn’t bother.
I wouldn’t buy from gumtree not only because there isn’t protection but because I’d also be scared of getting robbed. This happens a lot when people go and meet people on gumtree to buy something.
[doublepost=1525506384][/doublepost]Saw another in my town centre yesterday. He was a Young guy.

Not out much these days as I might go into labour anyday.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018

No problem if you know what you are doing, I have bought a 8, 8 plus and a X off gumtree in last few weeks. If I can get a 8 for $600aud you wouldn’t be paying $600 quid for one.

So you complain non stop about Apples outright prices but yet happy to pay overs for one with a telco contract, doesn’t make sense to me. Each to their own though.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I have never seen an iPhone X. I’ve never even heard anyone talk about it, or acknowledge that it exists. Other than pictures, or online discussions, Or advertising, I’d never know that it exists.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So you complain non stop about Apples outright prices but yet happy to pay overs for one with a telco contract, doesn’t make sense to me. Each to their own though.
Basic mathematics suggest gradual payments are more manageable than paying the entirety upfront. It’s why contracts are so popular to begin with. Phone manufacturers would be in serious trouble without them.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
Basic mathematics suggest gradual payments are more manageable than paying the entirety upfront. It’s why contracts are so popular to begin with. Phone manufacturers would be in serious trouble without them.

Yeah but you are paying full price for the phone anyway, just not upfront.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have never seen an iPhone X. I’ve never even heard anyone talk about it, or acknowledge that it exists. Other than pictures, or online discussions, Or advertising, I’d never know that it exists.

That seems fairly extreme. I do see them, rarely, but they are slowly going in numbers whenever consumers decide to upgrade at their convenience. But they are out their.

920R

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
Boston
I see them constantly. With people I’d never think would have one

I agree, I see them everywhere. You have to know what to look for because they are hard to spot, particularly wrapped in a case. Look for people swiping up to open the phone or close an app.

I've had one since they first shipped and, to this day, I only get asked if its an X when I am unlocking the phone in front of someone or showing them a picture on the phone. It's not much different, form factor wise, than a regular 6, 7 or 8.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I’ve a friend whose family is worth about $200m. Everybody in his family either has a X or S8 or doesn’t care about phones. Those who don’t care are still with 7 Plus.

My family has another family friend who is worth about $50m and I’m sure everybody in his family who thought about the X would have had it by now.

Then there’s a relative who buys the top spec of every Apple product at launch. He too has a X.

Then I have a friend who works in Africa (is an Indian) and makes like $80k a year and he has a X too. He’s single. And just 27. And India/Africa aren’t expensive places like USA or UK. The average salary in India for a educated 27 yr old is like less than $10k a year.

I’m nowhere near as well off as the above people and I’ve recently bought it too. Albeit the 64 GB one.

Then I’ve seen a X in a priority lounge in the Visa Center.

That’s it.

In the X’s defence, I’ve only seen 1 8 in the wild yet. And no 8 Plus. Most iPhones I see are 6s/7(+/) and that’s been the case since over a year now.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My brother has an iPhone X and I was at a Jamaican restaurant and the chef had one.

I think others who tend not to look for the iPhone X, seem to notice them. And those who seemingly consistently try to find the iPhone X, don’t find them as often. I live in a heavily populated city, they are certainly out their, I also think it depends on the demographic and where someone might frequent based on where they seem them as well.

bigscotal

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Haven’t seen a single one in the wild, so to speak (Scotland, near Glasgow). Genuinely surprised about that, and also somehow a little dissapointed.

I do think the £1k price point has made a good percentage of even the true iPhone enthusiasts just say enough is enough. The price of the X has been fairly well publicised, and it’s also quite a distinctive handset, so folk will know as soon as they see you with one that you must be paying/have paid a fortune for it. At that point they’re going to either nod appreciatively, or more likely, say that you’ve got more money than sense. Can’t honestly decide if it’s just Apple getting greedy, or trying to reintroduce an element of exclusivity to their top-end product.

I’m a big fan of my iPhone, and have had most models since the 3G, but it’s getting extremely difficult to justify the expense. I sat out upgrading to the X last year, but I’ll likely go for it this year.

Joedw

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2017
UK
Yes! Saw loads in Walt Disney World and the Universal Parks the past twelve days. I think the Silver seemed more popular (of the ones with no case/transparent case). Also, never seen so many Apple Watches, for a supposed ‘flop’ to certain people on here, it’s a decent seller. Even saw a few Ceramic Editions too.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I saw 2 whilst out in the town centre today. Wasn’t looking looking for the X, I just happened to see them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.