Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
http://bgr.com/2018/03/07/iphone-x-sales-estimates-2018/

According to the link above, 32 million X's went out the door the last quarter of 2017.
Estimated 14 million sold the first quarter of this year.
Estimate 7 million will sell the 2nd quarter.

As to seeing someone with one, I think you would have to be very close as I don't think the size is that apparent verses seeing someone with a plus. I certainly don't ADVERTISE I have one by waving it back and forth.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I still think they are the adoption rate for the iPhone X is not as prevalent for some, because maybe consumers have not upgraded yet, perhaps it’s not an iPhone of their interest in price, and it’s only been available for just over six months. I think over time, it will become more prone to being seen in public, similar to how no one saw the Apple Watch initially when it launched, and how Common it is everywhere today.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
willmtaylor said:
Uhm...maybe, except yesterday’s earnings report indicates exactly the opposite of this. Also, $1,000 only for Face ID? Fallacy of casual reductionism if I've ever seen one.

Don’t think there’s much more to it other than Face ID compared to the 8. The OLED display doesn’t make much of a difference to the average user. Other “smaller” specs like Portrait Lighting on the front camera are not worth two hundred euros more. Also the 1K barrier works as a psychological deterrent for many people. I guess they did not disclose the actual number or % of Xs sold vs the other iPhone models either individually or combined or did they?

“Apple CEO declined to provide specific information on iPhone X sales”

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Here in NYC I’ve observed more and more people using an iPhone X
when traveling on the subway everybody has their phones out so it’s easy to tell

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
There’s no doubt it’s a fantastic phone etc, but yes the cost of owning it here is off putting when it’s often double the monthly cost of other iPhone contracts. I’ve noticed a general disinterest among people I know when it comes to phones of late. People used to take an interest in what phones others were using and that seems to have gone, nobody really cares.

I was hoping sales would be disappointing simply to try and end this £1k iPhone idea. It seems the X has sold well enough to justify it and maybe it’ll become the norm? Maybe lower pricing tiers won’t be needed anymore and iPhones can start at £1k rather than be considered the premium line? I think when that happens I will no longer be buying their products. I’m starting to feel I am perhaps outgrowing the iPhone and should start considering cheaper alternatives.
The :apple: Phone has always been expensive, relative to the market.

Just look at what people where saying 10 years ago. Word by Word it's pretty much the same thing people complain about the X:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The :apple: Phone has always been expensive, relative to the market.

Just look at what people where saying 10 years ago. Word by Word it's pretty much the same thing people complain about the X:
I’m aware of that since I’ve used iPhones for years. The previous premium was a premium and the X is now £400-£600 more depending on the model. That’s off putting, especially in the country I live in and the fact the X is so rare is reflective of that.

Reactions: arkitect

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I’m aware of that since I’ve used iPhones for years. The previous premium was a premium and the X is now £400-£600 more depending on the model. That’s off putting, especially in the country I live in and the fact the X is so rare is reflective of that.
I think the way Apple changed prices after brexit has really effected things now. To be honest if I were not on the yearly upgrade programme with O2, who have been more expensive than other carriers I would have had to bow out. It’s just too expensive now. I Bought the 6S plus and 7 plus outright from Apple but there is no way I’ll be buying iPhones outright from Apple at these prices.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think the way Apple changed prices after brexit has really effected things now. To be honest if I were not on the yearly upgrade programme with O2, who have been more expensive than other carriers I would have had to bow out. It’s just too expensive now. I Bought the 6S plus and 7 plus outright from Apple but there is no way I’ll be buying iPhones outright from Apple at these prices.
likewise annual upgrade is what i will do going forward. I know my contract is likely to be more this year due to wanting the bigger plus model though.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
There is 20 year old kids have them I know where I live, $100 a month with 20gb data anyone can get one.
Saw one today.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There is 20 year old kids have them I know where I live, $100 a month with 20gb data anyone can get one.
Saw one today.

I wouldn’t say a 20 year old is considered a “Kid.” But that’s also assuming they pass a credit check as well.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Saw one today.
Anybody can get one anywhere as long as they pay the asking price. Here if I pay £500 upfront and commit to £60 a month for 2 years I could get one too. That’s the very reason they are so rare where I live though.

Reactions: 44267547

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Don’t think there’s much more to it other than Face ID compared to the 8. The OLED display doesn’t make much of a difference to the average user. Other “smaller” specs like Portrait Lighting on the front camera are not worth two hundred euros more. Also the 1K barrier works as a psychological deterrent for many people. I guess they did not disclose the actual number or % of Xs sold vs the other iPhone models either individually or combined or did they?

Apple never mentions sales of individual models of phones.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
Anybody can get one anywhere as long as they pay the asking price. Here if I pay £500 upfront and commit to £60 a month for 2 years I could get one too. That’s the very reason they are so rare where I live though.

That's the point you don't have to pay up front, its monthly on a plan, X64GB $100AUD over 2 years unlimited calls/texts 20gb data, a packet of fags a week.
[doublepost=1525350466][/doublepost]
I wouldn’t say a 20 year old is considered a “Kid.” But that’s also assuming they pass a credit check as well.

20 years ago no, now they don't even leave school till 18 +.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
That's the point you don't have to pay up front, its monthly on a plan, X64GB $100AUD over 2 years unlimited calls/texts 20gb data, a packet of fags a week.
You won’t find a UK contract with no upfront fee unless you pay £120 p/m ($216 AUD).

The cheapest contract I’ve found is £62 p/m and £500 upfront. That has 1GB of data only so you see why it’s not a particularly attractive product here currently.

Reactions: PhoneMe1

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

There's one more thing: The BIG reason I bought the X over the 8 or 8 Plus is because I wanted dual camera (wide and tele) in a smaller-than-Plus-sized iPhone. That might be a fairly specialized reason, but I've read quite a few posts from people who cited the dual camera as a big draw for them as well. I've long wanted dual camera, but the Plus models are just too big for me.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
There's one more thing: The BIG reason I bought the X over the 8 or 8 Plus is because I wanted dual camera (wide and tele) in a smaller-than-Plus-sized iPhone. That might be a fairly specialized reason, but I've read quite a few posts from people who cited the dual camera as a big draw for them as well. I've long wanted dual camera, but the Plus models are just too big for me.
Not to mention the fact that the telephoto lens on the X is optically stabilised. It’s not on the 8 plus.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You won’t find a UK contract with no upfront fee unless you pay £120 p/m ($216 AUD).

The cheapest contract I’ve found is £62 p/m and £500 upfront. That has 1GB of data only so you see why it’s not a particularly attractive product here currently.
I think mine was £30 upfront but on the EE annual upgrade is £87.99 a month which has gone up due to EE raising the prices after may.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah very expensive, I couldn’t justify that for the amount I use my phone. Then again I don’t need a new phone every year but 24 contracts are still extortionate.
Well EE is normally more expensive than the other networks so knew it would be high. I don't disagree it's a mad price but I don't go out drinking wasting my money each weekend and use the phone alot so I can justify it. Speed wise my iphone x on EE is basically as fast as my broadband at home wise is mad really.

with my iphone x and ipad pro contracts on EE i'm folking out £138 a month on tech

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Well EE is normally more expensive than the other networks so knew it would be high. I don't disagree it's a mad price but I don't go out drinking wasting my money each weekend and use the phone alot so I can justify it. Speed wise my iphone x on EE is basically as fast as my broadband at home wise is mad really.

with my iphone x and ipad pro contracts on EE i'm folking out £138 a month on tech
To be honest I spend very little money on myself as it mostly goes to my children. My wife was the one that convinced me to move over to the iPhone from android initially, but she has really lost interest in having the latest and greatest in recent years. An X wouldn’t interest her for instance because it’s too big as a device. I still have an interest but will have to come to terms with the fact I’m not willing to pay double what I currently pay for the same thing. It’s frustrating and I air my frustration but I know it’s the future until the technology improves.0

Reactions: George Dawes

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
To be honest I spend very little money on myself as it mostly goes to my children. My wife was the one that convinced me to move over to the iPhone from android initially, but she has really lost interest in having the latest and greatest in recent years. An X wouldn’t interest her for instance because it’s too big as a device. I still have an interest but will have to come to terms with the fact I’m not willing to pay double what I currently pay for the same thing. It’s frustrating and I air my frustration but I know it’s the future until the technology improves.0
Would the 6.1 LCD iphone which is suppose to be a lower budget option interest you as going forward flagships likely will remain at that £800-£1k mark I imagine.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Would the 6.1 LCD iphone which is suppose to be a lower budget option interest you as going forward flagships likely will remain at that £800-£1k mark I imagine.
It would be of interest yeah, but as long as it has 3DTouch. I use that feature so much, especially navigating the cursor while typing that I can’t do without it. My wife’s SE does my head in as it doesn’t have it. The size would be key too as I hate large phones.

I think i’ll likely get an iPhone 8 when I upgrade in September or keep my 6S as its working very well. I’m in two minds to be honest as neither option is particularly new or exciting.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think mine was £30 upfront but on the EE annual upgrade is £87.99 a month which has gone up due to EE raising the prices after may.
Mine is £86 and I paid £29 upfront. However I get £11 off a month as o2 offer discount on the airtime to nhs workers.

So I end up paying £75
[doublepost=1525452769][/doublepost]
It’s the only thing I spend on myself now. I very rarely buy clothes or anything else for myself. Like you it goes on the kids.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.