Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Cancel, save money, watch same/better shows, get off any contract.

I still need the internet access and cable is the fastest option for me. I upload and download huge video files for my business so I can't get by with something like DSL. But I WILL do some research on alternate means to *legitimately* get tv. Comcast sure has me on a treadmill I'm having a hard time getting off. It makes me sick that my Comcast bill is one of my biggest bills. Over $200 per month for a one-person household. Barf.

RumInt

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
Apple TV, MacBook, & Ipad

I can confirm three streams - Apple TV, Macbook, and iPad. After signing up on Apple TV, I was sent an email. Checked my email on my Mac, sent to a link to sign up for an HBO Now account. Once signed in, I could access the stream on my Mac. Went to my iPad, downloaded the app, signed in with the newly created account, and streaming. Three at once. Good deal so far (to each their own reasons).

Johnlpi

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2015
Certainly a step in the right direction...looking forward to "cutting the chord" (w/ TV Cable, my embilcal is already done, obviously..)..

...still, HBOGO is $5 cheaper, so I can't cut the chord just yet. :(

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
month to month, cancel anytime

----------

BS like this is why companies are holding out with cable and dish companies to distribute their content. How about sacking up and paying a fair price to receive high quality content over a period of time while (shocking!) actually paying for it. The more this is deemed successful in terms of customer service, value and consumer experience, the more apt companies are to usher in their own ala carte services OTT.

nope, i aint gonna pay for a separate streaming service for each network. thats redic. netflix + spotify and amazon instant video is the most. the rest happens to fly my way. oh and dont even get me started on "TIDAL"

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
i think their service cant handle the demand right now. my iPhone just randomly signed in but shows "signed in as: " (basically no one)

my iPad signed in with an account i have made but isnt connected to the iTunes ID so i am currently logged in for free? i dont even know lol

edit: k just tried to play something and now it says "expired - renew using itunes - already got HBO Now?" YES CUZ I AM LOGGED IN B....

Did you manage to figure this out? I'm getting the exact same behaviour; "something went wrong" when creating the account, email saying that account was created successfully, failed logins, successful "ghost" login, telling me that my sub has expired...

Edit: Got it! It didn't like the special character in my password (despite saying that you can use them). I redid the initial setup and picked a different password and it's working now :)

Last edited:

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Bye Bye Uverse (at least for HBO)

I fired Uverse as my HBO provider for $26 per month and switched to ATV for $15 per month. The $132 per year goes to my retirement fund!

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
If I sign up for the free trial will I be billed right away for the month after that or will I be charged for the next month only once the free trial month ends?

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
"Am I the only one" comments on the internet are so ridiculous

Am I the only one that finds people who reply to "Am I the only one" comments with memes to be irrelevant?

If the only thing that someone remembers about me is that I was ridiculous, then I have succeeded in life.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Did you manage to figure this out? I'm getting the exact same behaviour; "something went wrong" when creating the account, email saying that account was created successfully, failed logins, successful "ghost" login, telling me that my sub has expired...

Edit: Got it! It didn't like the special character in my password (despite saying that you can use them). I redid the initial setup and picked a different password and it's working now :)

Oh i do have "-" in my password and I set up 3 accounts already. now how can I link my iTunes Subscription to the new account? I am gonna try one your way

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Curious as to the terms... is this a month-to-month subscription (cancel any time) or is it annual, or what?

Cancel any time. (Well, any month. They won't prorate. Pay for your last month, and quit.)

----------

Certainly a step in the right direction...looking forward to "cutting the chord" (w/ TV Cable, my embilcal is already done, obviously..)..

...still, HBOGO is $5 cheaper, so I can't cut the chord just yet. :(

You realize you have to pay for a whole cable subscription just to get HBO Go?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Oh i do have "-" in my password and I set up 3 accounts already. now how can I link my iTunes Subscription to the new account? I am gonna try one your way

Force quit the app, relaunch, sign out if you're signed in - basically you want to get back to the very first screen. Select to create a new account and it'll detect that you have an iTunes subscription and will (hopefully) then ask you to create a new account.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Apple ID?

i signed in with my Apple ID on the Apple TV. (Just watched the riveting documentary about Scientology.)

Then I said, Oh, let me put it on the phone and iPad!

I typed in my Apple ID into the app.

E-mail or password wrong.

Went to the website. Wrong e-mail or password.

Oh, how about I set up a third party password?

Nope. "Password wrong."

Do I set up by "Restoring my account from the Apple Store"? Nothing happens.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I saw an option in the app for "Signed up on ATV? Tap here" or something similar. See whether you can find it.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Signed up for HBO NOW on my iPhone and when I came home I tried logging into Apple TV for the last two hours. "Already signed up via iTunes?" and I click that bar... then it goes to "ACCESSING HBO NOW" and I get the spinning circle which goes on and on and on....

I reset my cable modem... I restarted the Apple TV... nothing works. Is it possible the HBO NOW servers are overloaded with requests today? Anyone else having this problem?

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
HBO is overvalued and this service is overpriced. It is cheaper to simply buy its top shows off iTunes every year then get this yearly subscription, there are only like 2 - 3 good HBO shows a year anyways.

Also you know at least one person that has The Wire, Sopranos, or any one of HBO's past top shows available to share.

Shows like The Walking Dead, Dexter, and Breaking Bad have had huge success and have a home on Netflix, HBO is full of **** thinking they need to have their own service rather than embracing services like Netflix.

I saw someone here who intended to wait till the 2/3 point of Game of Thrones to claim the free month of service, then cancel it when the show ended.

I think the cheapest approach is pay for this service, binge watch the shows you like and cancel.

But HBO also has way better, more recent movies than Netflix. Opinions may vary on that, but just off the top of my head, I can watch 12 years a slave, edge of tomorrow and a lot more that Netflix doesn't have.

It doesn't seem like a bad service. It gets me what I want, but to each their own. It would be great to have a service that lets me watch the movie I want and not have to wade through Netflix/Hulu/HBO/Amazon/etc. Maybe Apple will figure this out for us? :)

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
If you go to your newly created HBO Now account in Safari on a MacBook it wants you install Flash to watch stuff. That's too bad.

Later: And for the movie I picked at random there has an expiration date (Aug 2015 for The Grand Budapest Hotel).

And after that: The menus don't work correctly if you don't have Flash, so you can't log out.

Thanks for this. I guess I won't be using this on my MacBook Pro then. HTML5, come on websites.

HBO GO and HBO NOW do not have a Watch Live option, this is only for Showtime.
Such a shame. I guess I'll just hold out and wait till the new season comes out on Blu-ray. I wish it had a Watch Live option :(

cjake

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Shows such as GOT will not be available to stream at the same moment the show begins airing live on TV. But should be available to stream before the episode finishes on live TV.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Signed up here in Japan (using my US iTunes account). Was able to watch without even going through a proxy server. I imagine that will eventually change, though.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks Dad!!!

My father signed up today. He's watching it on Apple TV and loves it. I'm watching via the website, and the quality is really good. Looks much like HBO Go, and great streams too.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Signed up earlier. It's decent... Not sure what I'll do after trial at this point

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
I wonder if the servers will hold up for GOT? I think I remember it didn't work out too well for the premiere of last year's season on HBO Go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.