Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibookster

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2004
You can unblock HBO Now outside the US using Unlocator. You still need a US iTunes account to create the HBO Now subscription. That can be done by redeeming US iTunes gift cards though.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Given that I signed up via iTunes, is there any way that I can log in on the HBO Now website?

yes. I just went to hbonow.com and signed in using my user name and password that I created a few hours ago.

edit: this was from my mac.

visuea

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
When you signed up via iTunes it sent an email to your iTunes default address telling you how to finish setting up your HBO Now account so that it can be used on other devices.

I've just checked my email, and there isn't one. All I have is the email confirming the subscription.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Probably just because HBO GO is tied to all the cable and satellite providers and it's available on lots of streaming platforms, whereas HBO NOW is a standalone subscription service exclusive to Apple.

It's a timed exclusive. HBO Now will be available on other platforms later in the year. But the first part of your point is probably true. However I have HBO Go, don't need Now and Go right next to each other - luckily I can just hide it.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
why not wait till the end of the season and then you can binge watch the whole thing?

If you sign up towards the end of April, you could get seven of the ten episodes (by my calculatin') of GoT in the free 30 day trial.

4/12
4/19
4/26
5/3
5/10
5/17
5/24

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
DirecTV was charging me $17.99 for HBO. This is $14.99 and it's paid for through iTunes. I often buy iTunes cards for 20% off. I will make sure I buy enough to cover this subscription, so effective new price will be $11.99. $6/month savings over what I used to pay.

Plus now it will be easier for me to turn on/off at will. My "must see" show has been RealTime so I can turn this off when it's on hiatus. I could do that through DirecTV, but it was a 30 minute painful phone call each time. Now I can go to iTunes and unclick "resubscribe automatically" or whatever it says under Manage My Subscriptions.

I think you are comparing cutting cable all together to trying to create an online equivalent through various subscriptions. With bundling, it may be hard to do that....but as time goes by you'll find lower internet only deals. I've already dropped home phone service (as have lots of people), CableTV is the next in jeopardy. Internet will be the only communication wire into most homes in a couple of years.

Yeah, I'm assuming as time goes on this wll improve. Things like Sling TV are interesting, but still too expensive IMO. I get HBO/Showtime/Starz currently for $4.99/month, it was originally a 3 month promo but I called and c omplained and they extended it to 12 months. I've found they are very receptive to dropping prices if you call and complain. But even at full price I find it a better deal because it's more premium channels, and overall comes out cheaper because of the bundled services discount.

Hey, it's a start though and I applaud Apple for maneuvering this deal.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I am also interested in if you subscribe to this HBO NOW on a month to month basis? Or do you have to subscribe for a full year or so?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

month to month, cancel anytime

----------

If you sign up towards the end of April, you could get seven of the ten episodes (by my calculatin') of GoT in the free 30 day trial.

4/12
4/19
4/26
5/3
5/10
5/17
5/24

BS like this is why companies are holding out with cable and dish companies to distribute their content. How about sacking up and paying a fair price to receive high quality content over a period of time while (shocking!) actually paying for it. The more this is deemed successful in terms of customer service, value and consumer experience, the more apt companies are to usher in their own ala carte services OTT.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
HBO is overvalued and this service is overpriced. It is cheaper to simply buy its top shows off iTunes every year then get this yearly subscription, there are only like 2 - 3 good HBO shows a year anyways.

Also you know at least one person that has The Wire, Sopranos, or any one of HBO's past top shows available to share.

Shows like The Walking Dead, Dexter, and Breaking Bad have had huge success and have a home on Netflix, HBO is full of **** thinking they need to have their own service rather than embracing services like Netflix.

Who wants to wait a year for a show season to get on Netflix? I don't. You already know all the plot spoilers by then.

mtnr

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
Can anyone confirm/deny that I can signup for HBO NOW with a Macbook and NO iOS devices? Is an iOS device required to signup?

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Is anyone actually able to use this? I have tried to sign up. I get an error on my phone, but then I get an email that I have signed up.

I am unable to login or reset my password.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Same

----------

What are you talking about?

Trying to get HBO Now going sounded as complicated as trying to get an Apple Watch. :)

I just got the HBO Now email a little while ago. Followed the links on my iPad, downloaded, set up the HBO account and it all seems to be working fine. Now if I could only record and watch later.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Wow. Just tried to downgrade my service on Comcast/Xfinity and got such a runaround. Last year, I let them talk me into getting the Triple Play even though I don't want the phone. The deal is up this month so it's a good time for me to downgrade but they say I can't get any of the nicer deals for just the double play because I already have the Triple Play. He also claimed that HBO Now isn't all the same content as HBO on cable so I would be missing out (on what I don't know). Then he said their phone can be used for cellular service so if I kept their phone I could get rid of T-Mobile. I don't see how that would work if I have a T-Mobile iPhone but he said it would. Finally, he offered me a lower price on the triple without HBO and Starz but it requires a 2 year contract. I told him it was too much of a runaround and I didn't want to commit to a contract. I also said I'm tempted to cancel the entire thing and look around for options. He said I wasn't going to find it cheaper anywhere and said Xfinity doesn't actually make money off of cable, except for the NBC channels Comcast owns. He claimed Comcast sells all the other channels to us at cost with no profit for them. wheeeeee!

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Flash!?

If you go to your newly created HBO Now account in Safari on a MacBook it wants you install Flash to watch stuff. That's too bad.

Later: And for the movie I picked at random there has an expiration date (Aug 2015 for The Grand Budapest Hotel).

And after that: The menus don't work correctly if you don't have Flash, so you can't log out.

Last edited:

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Trying to get HBO Now going sounded as complicated as trying to get an Apple Watch. :)

Ahh, you had me confused. :p

I just got the HBO Now email a little while ago. Followed the links on my iPad, downloaded, set up the HBO account and it all seems to be working fine. Now if I could only record and watch later.
Going on 5 hours since I received the email from iTunes confirming the subscription, still receiving log-in errors on the IOS app. :mad:

----------

If you go to your newly created HBO Now account in Safari on a MacBook it wants you install Flash to watch stuff. That's too bad.

Gross.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Am I the only one who has never seen it??

Am I the only one on the planet that doesn't care for Game of Thrones?

What special snowflakes you are. "Am I the only one" comments on the internet are so ridiculous.

I'm wondering the same thing IF you can you must only be able to do that from an Apple TV I tried looking on my iPhone and I can't find it.

HBO GO and HBO NOW do not have a Watch Live option, this is only for Showtime.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Wow. Just tried to downgrade my service on Comcast/Xfinity and got such a runaround. Last year, I let them talk me into getting the Triple Play even though I don't want the phone. The deal is up this month so it's a good time for me to downgrade but they say I can't get any of the nicer deals for just the double play because I already have the Triple Play. He also claimed that HBO Now isn't all the same content as HBO on cable so I would be missing out (on what I don't know). Then he said their phone can be used for cellular service so if I kept their phone I could get rid of T-Mobile. I don't see how that would work if I have a T-Mobile iPhone but he said it would. Finally, he offered me a lower price on the triple without HBO and Starz but it requires a 2 year contract. I told him it was too much of a runaround and I didn't want to commit to a contract. I also said I'm tempted to cancel the entire thing and look around for options. He said I wasn't going to find it cheaper anywhere and said Xfinity doesn't actually make money off of cable, except for the NBC channels Comcast owns. He claimed Comcast sells all the other channels to us at cost with no profit for them. wheeeeee!

Cancel, save money, watch same/better shows, get off any contract.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Need this in the UK now please!
HBO is called Sky Atlantic here in the UK. I believe you can get Now TV which includes Sky Atlantic and other channels for £6.99 a month which has an app on the Apple TV, and other devices as well as a stand alone box.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Am I the only one on the planet that doesn't care for Game of Thrones?

I tried to jump in but the story was so complex with so many names and locations to try to keep straight I gave up. I thought I would like it because I love LOTR and other medieval themes but it was too hard to jump in in the middle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.