Health app forces tracking on everyone and logs it!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by X-X, Sep 28, 2014.

1. X-X, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

X-X macrumors 6502

How do you disable the constant tracking of steps and movement in the health app?

Did Apple really decide to not allow you to turn the logging of your every move off?

How much I move and walk is pretty personal data and my iPhone collects it without my consent.

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Actually the sensor inside the iPhone 5s and 6/6plus known as the M7 or M8 coprocessor stores and processes all movement data. Apps must be given access to use it so check privacy settings.

It only stores data for 7 days however and the apps must save it locally.

3. X-X thread starter macrumors 6502

No, Apple's Health app constantly logs every movement (steps, stairs, running, walking distance) and I don't see ANY WAY to turn it off.

It just does it and stores it... always.

This is pretty sensitive data, I don't want it to be logged.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

You turn it off by turning off location services in general. It's not the Health app that keep track, it's the chip, through iOS. It then feeds the data to Health (and any third-party apps you may authorize).

5. X-X thread starter macrumors 6502

But that would mean I can't use maps or anything, that's ridiculous.

I just don't want my every move recorded and logged inside the Health app, why are they forcing this on everyone?

Just because the chip can do it doesn't mean you have to record and store it without user consent and without a way to turn it off.

Sucks big time, really creepy.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Try turning off Location Services for Motion Calibration in the settings. That might do it.

7. X-X thread starter macrumors 6502

No, still keeps logging everything.

8. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I have everything turned off except Find my iPhone and it still logs the steps. This is not something that bothers me but I understand why some people prefer to have the option to disable it.

----------

Do you think it affects battery life? Maybe minimal impact?

9. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Just relax man. You'll be ok. Its measuring what type of movement, not where you are.

10. X-X thread starter macrumors 6502

It still sensitive health data and it's logged without my consent.

It makes me sick that Apple is forcing this.

11. I7guy macrumors G5

Try going into the health app. Fitness then steps. Go to share data and change the priority of the iPhone to the bottom.

I did not try this myself.

12. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Again, IT'S NOT THE HEALTH APP. It's the chip in the phone, and the 5S did it all last year without Health bringing it to your attention.

13. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

1. How is that 'pretty personal'? I get that it's YOU PERSONALLY doing the moving, but beyond that very strict statement, I ask... what is the big deal?

2. You gave consent when you agreed to the terms and conditions.

----------

You gave consent by agreeing to terms and conditions.

No one is forcing you.

How is this 'health data'?

Answer truthfully... are you a shill sent here to make thinking people look bad? This thread is ridiculous.

14. X-X thread starter macrumors 6502

What distances I walk every day, how many steps, how many stairs, how much I run, with exact time stamps....

...YES that is sensitive health data.

And it's freaking creepy at best, that you can not turn it off.

15. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

How so? I really don't understand.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

17. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

really..? no its not & we all(or most should) know this..its damn steps taken not where u are or where u went..& how is it sensitive health data? what are u embarrassed u take 200 steps a day cause u drive absolutely everywhere even to the mcdonalds 1 block away or something..?

18. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Yes, if you're collecting Workers' Comp and are worried about getting busted.

Relax. You're anonymous in your Saturday Nite Fever dance moves.

19. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

OP should get rid of the cell phone altogether, close the blinds, hug knees, and rock back and forth.

For surely, the end is nigh.

20. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I probably shouldn't mention to the OP that this info is stored only locally and not in the cloud, right? :)

21. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Prove that it isn't in the cloud. ;)

It's all on a server somewhere.

OP just thinks this information is special and needs to be in a locked box, for who knows what reason. He/she has yet to explain that one.

22. Planey28 macrumors 6502

Your number of steps is not sensitive health data. Dramaaaa

23. pdjudd macrumors 601

This page says that the only thing that would be in the cloud is backups which are not only optional, but are encrypted end to end.

In other words, its only on the cloud if you want it to. Now you make a claim that says that it is not the case. So outside of the one exception that you have to opt in to, can you prove your statement correct with a cite?

24. Compa49 macrumors newbie

If you are worried about a company tracking sensitive data then why do you have a cell phone. I would be more worried about my phone calls and texts myself.

And if you are worried about being busted because you are collecting workman's comp then you are a despicable person and should be busted.

If you want your privacy then live off the grid and don't go out in public. The only place you have privacy is inside your house.

25. X-X, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

X-X thread starter macrumors 6502

Ecxept that I can turn off messages, I can turn off phone calls (if I wanted).

I can not turn off the fact that my iPhone tracks and logs my every move in every detail including time stamps.

A simple off switch would be extremely easy to implement, but Apple for some reason doesn't want anybody to turn it off.

And the fact that Apple are already in talks with insurance companies about sharing that data, doesn't give me any more confidents in this forced "feature".

I've never even heard about it.