Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim L

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
The Piedmont, NC
UPDATE #2 re: replacement Apple Watch.

I got my replacement Apple Watch (SS 38mm) Tuesday night. Didn't have much time to do anything with it until yesterday.

Using the Heart Rate glance - much quicker and smoother than the old watch. My previous watch did really seem to struggle at getting a reading.

Using the Workout App - The new watch immediately started detecting my HR during my 32 minute workout and I checked it periodically every 3-4 minutes. From start to finish it was giving believable readings that were consistent with the elliptical's readings.

It appears that I really did have a HR sensor that was failing. The Apple support girl called me last night to see if I was having better success with the replacement watch. At the time I could only say that I noted the HR glance seemed to be more responsive. She'll check back with me next week.

At least for some of us, our HR reading issues can be hardware problems, but from the sound of it everyone else is also having problems with the latest software update.

Hang in there everyone! Please continue to post about your HR problems until we get this sorted out. :)

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
For anyone interested, beta 5 of watchOS 2.0 restores the 10 minute interval heart rate readings, even when it detects movement. Since installing beta 5, it has never failed to get my heart rate every 10 minutes:

One minor change is that it will now read it one or two minutes after or before the 10 minute interval if it does detect a lot of movement. It will try to read it when there is the least amount of movement.

img_0496-jpg.573899

img_0497-jpg.573900

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
For anyone interested, beta 5 of watchOS 2.0 restores the 10 minute interval heart rate readings, even when it detects movement. Since installing beta 5, it has never failed to get my heart rate every 10 minutes:

One minor change is that it will now read it one or two minutes after or before the 10 minute interval if it does detect a lot of movement. It will try to read it when there is the least amount of movement.

img_0496-jpg.573899

img_0497-jpg.573900
This is amazing news!!!!! Thank you!

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014

img_0496-jpg.573899

img_0497-jpg.573900

Hooray!

Reactions: Watabou

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
Awesome. Please let us know if your calorie counting seems more consistent between when a workout app is enabled or not. One reason I bought the watch was to just wear it and have it track my activity without me having to do anything. It doesn't really do that right now. You have to engage the workout app to get credit for exercise.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Awesome. Please let us know if your calorie counting seems more consistent between when a workout app is enabled or not. One reason I bought the watch was to just wear it and have it track my activity without me having to do anything. It doesn't really do that right now. You have to engage the workout app to get credit for exercise.

Yes they are. Yesterday, I walked a lot yesterday outside (not really intensive, just casual walking) without turning on the Workout app. The watch gave me almost an hour of exercise credit, and that's about how much I walked yesterday.

Proof:

IMG_0498.PNG

No Workout app usage listed:

IMG_0499.PNG

Also, I can neither confirm nor deny me missing two stand hours because of watching the new Mission Impossible film before noon without the secretary's approval. :D

Last edited:

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
That's good news.

I've made a habit of starting an "Outdoor Walk" workout each time I take my dog outside for a walk... but it's pretty annoying to remember (and to remember to end it when I get back!). I didn't need to do that with 1.0 to get credit.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
I know...I always find myself forgetting to end workouts or when I'm at the gym, changing from elliptical to other when I change workout types. Would be nice to just wear it and not think about it.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Anything that would let us see things like max heart rate quickly?

Like, what your max heart rate is, or what your max heart rate for the day was?

If its the latter - in iOS 9 health, when you go to heart rate -> show all data; it now presents a day by day break down.

This is also available for steps, distances, calories and so on. A much needed update to health.

Attachments

• IMG_0250.PNG
    IMG_0250.PNG
    109.6 KB · Views: 112

dabigkahuna

Suspended
Aug 3, 2010
Oahu
Like, what your max heart rate is, or what your max heart rate for the day was?

If its the latter - in iOS 9 health, when you go to heart rate -> show all data; it now presents a day by day break down.

This is also available for steps, distances, calories and so on. A much needed update to health.

I was actually thinking in terms of the max for any given activity, though it could be useful for giving you a max for the day when you don't do an activity. Based on what I saw before - occasional spikes - it would probably need to ignore an isolated high number between more consistent numbers that are significantly lower. Going from 100 to 101 and then back to 100 - count the 101. But if you have 100 - 120 - 100, then the 120 is probably a fluke. It would still show in the complete listing but not be in a summary that showed the max rate during the activity.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Maybe it's because I'm pretty tall and walk quite fast but I've never had problems with my Apple Watch recognising when I go for a walk. There's a place I walk to multiple times a week that takes ~15 minutes to get to and I've always managed to get my 30 minutes (or very close to it) from that alone. Walking very slow or holding something in my hand, however, seems to take time off that, which is expected as it's not brisk activity.

midloman

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Midllothian, VA
@Watabou Great news re the heart rate fix, thanks for letting us know. Slightly off topic, is it true that they haven't fixed the Resting Calories (BMR) issue?

This. I thought I had read somewhere that the resting calorie calculation had been corrected. A number of us were getting resting calorie numbers 1000-1500 calories too hight for a day. Is it "more correct" in Watch OS2?

Reactions: cjking2007

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
@Watabou Great news re the heart rate fix, thanks for letting us know. Slightly off topic, is it true that they haven't fixed the Resting Calories (BMR) issue?

Well for me, it's pretty accurate based on a RMR calculator. The resting calories seem to be around 1800 for me based on the calculator and that's about what is shown on the Watch.

Reactions: Gimmi

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
My resting calories are totally on crack. The watch has me at 2,759. There is no way in any universe that is remotely close to reality. I know the calories I consume, and if that were true, I would be losing almost 5 lbs./week.

Reactions: cjking2007

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
My resting calories are totally on crack. The watch has me at 2,759. There is no way in any universe that is remotely close to reality. I know the calories I consume, and if that were true, I would be losing almost 5 lbs./week.

Are you also on beta 5 of watchOS 2.0? I remember seeing upwards of 2500 resting calories for me too before this beta and it looks like it significantly reduced its estimation of resting calories.

Can anyone confirm this?

Gimmi

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Central London UK
Are you also on beta 5 of watchOS 2.0? I remember seeing upwards of 2500 resting calories for me too before this beta and it looks like it significantly reduced its estimation of resting calories.

Thanks so much for clarifying. Like @exxxviii my resting calories are completely off - in reality BMR x 1.5. Can't wait for watchOS 2.0!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
And 2.0 GM breaks the every 10 minutes again. I guess it wasn't suppose to come back like it did in Beta 5. Unfortunate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.