Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danielcarmo

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2022
What OS version were you running on the 2012?

I ask because that model did not come from the factory with Internet recovery. The feature was added by a later firmware upgrade that was installed as part of an OS update (I think it was Lion).
I’m not quiet sure as it was my brother’s, but I think he told me it was running El Capitan!

Danielcarmo

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2022
Internet recovery should work then. What do you see if you hold command-option-r at startup?
It takes me to OS X Utilities Menu.
Tried it two different ways: holding the commands and then turning it on and only holding the commands after booting…

Klaudiahoxha

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2023
Im not able to install because the second hard drive on the picture is still locked. And,... View attachment 640786
This is the same exact problem I am having. :( Please help!! When trying to reinstall macOS Sierra, my recovery disc is LOCKED and another option was to reinstall it through os x base system disk , after it finished downloading like in the picture a message came up that said there was an error in the process . I have tried to do this multiple times and the same error message keeps coming up. When I type in the code on my terminal page, like you mentioned in your other posts, that is the list I get I have no idea what to do from here. PLEASE HELP …

Attachments

• IMG_4489.jpeg
    IMG_4489.jpeg
    788.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4485.jpeg
    IMG_4485.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 25

Klaudiahoxha

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2023
You have something odd going on there. Normally there would be only one core storage volume listed that is the Fusion'd single logical volume.

Run this and tell me what it says. This will show the layout of the core storage volume.

Code:
diskutil cs list
This is the same exact problem I am having. :( Please help!! When trying to reinstall macOS Sierra, my recovery disc is LOCKED and another option was to reinstall it through os x base system disk , after it finished downloading like in the picture a message came up that said there was an error in the process . I have tried to do this multiple times and the same error message keeps coming up. When I type in the code on my terminal page, like you mentioned in your other posts, that is the list I get I have no idea what to do from here. PLEASE HELP …
IMG_4489.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4488.jpeg
    IMG_4488.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4485.jpeg
    IMG_4485.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 23

Klaudiahoxha

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2023
Actually it worked with another apple ID. Thanks for the help !! You're amazing.
For people with the same problem: you need the use an apple id that you used to install/buy lion on your imac (that's the only thing I can think of why it worked)
Where i put my apple id? Replacing “untitled” with my apple id name?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Klaudiahoxha -

The "way forward" for you is:
1. Create a bootable USB flashdrive (I suggest using the free "Install Disk Creator" app)
2. Boot the Mac from the flashdrive
3. Open disk utility, go to the view menu (if there is one) and choose "show all devices"
4. Select the topmost item that represents the physical drive inside.
5. ERASE IT to "Mac OS extended, journaling enabled, GUID partition format"
6. When the erase is done, quit disk utility and open the OS installer
7. Let the OS installer do its thing. It will take a little while and the Mac may "go dark" and then restart one or more times.
8. When done, you should see the initial setup screen -- start clicking through.
9. When asked if you wish to migrate from another drive, connect your backup, point the way to it. Give Setup Assistant time to digest everything. I suggest you migrate everything.
10. When done, you should see your login screen.

Klaudiahoxha

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2023
Klaudiahoxha -

The "way forward" for you is:
1. Create a bootable USB flashdrive (I suggest using the free "Install Disk Creator" app)
2. Boot the Mac from the flashdrive
3. Open disk utility, go to the view menu (if there is one) and choose "show all devices"
4. Select the topmost item that represents the physical drive inside.
5. ERASE IT to "Mac OS extended, journaling enabled, GUID partition format"
6. When the erase is done, quit disk utility and open the OS installer
7. Let the OS installer do its thing. It will take a little while and the Mac may "go dark" and then restart one or more times.
8. When done, you should see the initial setup screen -- start clicking through.
9. When asked if you wish to migrate from another drive, connect your backup, point the way to it. Give Setup Assistant time to digest everything. I suggest you migrate everything.
10. When done, you should see your login screen.
I am having a hard time marking a bootable USB Flash drive. I am using a windows laptop to do it and it complicated.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I am having a hard time marking a bootable USB Flash drive. I am using a windows laptop to do it and it complicated."

This is something that is best done "on a Mac", using either "Install Disk Creator" or "Diskmaker X".

However, there's another way -- you can also boot to INTERNET recovery (this IS NOT "the recovery partition").
You haven't told us WHICH Mac you have and WHAT YEAR it was made.
This is important information.
Internet recovery works only on Macs from 2011 and later. It also works on SOME (not all) 2010 Macs.

You can try internet recovery by doing this:
Power down, all the way off.
Press the power on button and IMMEDIATELY HOLD DOWN
Command-OPTION-R
... and KEEP HOLDING THEM DOWN FOR A WHILE.

You will see the spinning globe that indicates that internet recovery is loading.
It takes a while, be patient (you can let go of the keyboard once you see this).

If you are connecting via wifi, you'll be asked for your wifi password.
Enter it.

When you get to the internet utilities, open disk utility.
IF THERE IS A VIEW MENU, you must go to it and choose "show all devices".
(if there IS NOT a view menu, ignore this).

If you look at the list on the left, the topmost item should be the physical drive inside.
This is what you need to erase.
Click it and choose "Mac OS extended, journaling enabled, GUID partition format".
When the erase is done, quit disk utility and open the OS installer, and start clicking through.

WARNING:
The above will WIPE OUT all your data -- so you need a backup!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.