HELP iMac no longer starting up!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kringlelikechris, Jun 1, 2017.

1. kringlelikechris macrumors newbie

kringlelikechris

Hey guys, I'm in deep trouble. My iMac 2011 no longer starts up. Attached is a photo of what comes up on my screen every time I turn it on. Did this ever happen to anyone? Please help me solve this problem without losing all my files.

Attached Files:

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Interesting - Your init process commits suicide. Can you get into recovery mode or safe mode? Is it possible to boot an OS from an external disk? (No matter if it's Linux, macOS or Windows). – If you can't boot anything, try running an Apple Hardware Test.

3. kringlelikechris thread starter macrumors newbie

kringlelikechris

I was able to get to Recovery mode but was unable to install macOS Sierra for some reason. It said something like, "we need to verify that your apple is legit" or something close to those lines..

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

That usually just means you need to enter an Apple ID - No prompt came up asking for one? – Do you have access to another Mac? That issue should be avoided if you create a bootable USB or something from an App Store download, since in that case, it'll verify with the Apple ID used for the download
    If you don't have access to another Mac, try booting in Safe Mode and seeing if you can download it from the App Store then.

5. kringlelikechris thread starter macrumors newbie

kringlelikechris

I have access to my MacBook Pro. So do I download sierra onto a flash drive and reinstall on Recovery mode from there?

6. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

Yes however make sure you run VERIFY in Utilities on the iMac drive first up.

DiskMakerX seems to be the easiest way to make that +8GB bootable thumb drive.

http://diskmakerx.com

7. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

You don't just copy paste over the installer though - There's a Terminal command that tells the installer to make a bootable USB, such that you can boot directly into "recovery mode" from the USB instead of your hard disk.

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

Replace "Untitled" with the name of your USB. Beware - all data on the USB will be deleted

When you boot the system, hold the Option/alt key, and pick the USB from the boot menu