Help needed - iPhone just not working..is it usual? PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benh-, Jul 25, 2008.

1. benh- macrumors member

Hey, I'm new to these forums, so first I'd like to introduce myself: I'm Ben, from the UK, I have a Macbook and the 2G iPhone 8gb.

Anyway, over to my problem:

I just got an iPhone. A mate upgraded so I bought the old one off him for £100. He just got the 3G iPhone today and of course, he swapped his old simcard into the new phone, leaving my iPhone with no simcard.

Went to collect the phone of him a few moments ago and I noticed it wasn't working. He said, yeah, the man said this would happen. It just wont work until you get one of O2's iPhone pay and go sims...but it really isn't working..not switching on or anything.

Should this be happening? I just wanna check out the apps etc before I get my sim next week!

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

At the very least, the iPhone should switch on and give you a message that there's no SIM installed. It might not do much else, but it should at least turn on.

Silly question, but: have you tried charging it?

3. benh- thread starter macrumors member

It's not a stupid question. Yes, I have tried charging it. It's been on for over half an hour. Still nothing.

Any other ideas anybody?

4. YoungKevin macrumors member

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, the iPhone should've perked up and the screen should have lit up as soon as it was plugged in.

Methinks you've been sold a dead iPhone.

Here's what a working iPhone SHUOLD do when plugged in:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9AYe9hVS9qc

Skip to 1:30. Excuse the video; it's the only one I could find that shows the correct behavior.

6. benh- thread starter macrumors member

Really? He's a good mate, and I was on the phone yesterday (I had given him the money before this point), and he called me off it today. Could there be a lead issue..are all the iPod/iPhone usb leads the same?

Ive just thought about going to the Apple store tommorow. Maybe this is my key to the new iPhone?!

Haha, would they replace it for free?

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If it's still under warranty, yes. Try entering the iPhone's serial number here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

It should tell you if the phone is still under warranty.

8. benh- thread starter macrumors member

Yep, it is still under warranty until November.

Will they be like, OK, we'll give you the iPhone 3G or will they try and fix it. Baring in mind I like over a 100 miles away from the nearest store...

9. benh- thread starter macrumors member

Apple won't replace my iPhone 2G!!

Yesterday, my mate upgraded to the iPhone 3g, so gave/sold me the original iPhone. Whilst at his house, the battery just died. Went home, tried to plug it in, wouldn't work. Went to the :apple: Store and they are refusing to repair it in store or even just replace it. They say they have brand new iPhone 8gb's round the back, but would refuse to give me one. All because of one tiny dent on the side. Apparently, that can cause the iPhone not to work, and the battery to die :S

I was thinking about popping into a different Apple store..maybe they will tell me different? Or is there a way of getting dents out of the iPhone's back?

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

try a different apple store, but physical damage can be grounds not to replace/repair it

you can buy replacement backs, but then it wont have some information (ie serial number) on it so it will be known to have been replaced

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

Are you sure the battery is dead or is the iPhone dead because of physical damage? Two very different situations. If the phone turns on with the charger but the minute you take off the charger and than it shuts down than it's probably the batter. If you can't even turn it on and depending on how large a dent it is, it may physically be damage. Did you or your friend drop the iPhone?

Do you have any pics to show how big the dent is? A couple of months ago, this woman at work dropped my iPhone that cause the headphones to stop working. I saw the dent (it was really small) so that Apple guys didn't even notice it and replace it for me so your dent must be noticeable in size.

12. ElecEagle macrumors member

I'm curious ...why would (should) Apple agree to repair or replace your old phone for a brand new one if there is obvious damage?

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

Apple does not replace brand new iphone first gen with new ones (except for the first couple of weeks last year when they first launch). So you may want to rephase that quote.

I think the original poster wanted Apple to replace it with a refurbished iphone 2.5g or at least repair it. There's no way Apple will replace a 2.5G iphone for a new iphone 3g. They probably have so many 2.5G refurished sitting around because there are so many 2.5G iPhones still under warranty.

14. benh- thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I didn't want the latest iPhone 3G, I wanted a refurbished original. The person in the store yesterday was being VERY awkward. Making it clear that they had original iPhones round the back but was refusing to give me one, all for this VERY small dent. Spoke to somebody at AppleCare who apoligised for the level of service and told me I should of got the replacement. She told me to call back the store, with a case number, and demand the new phone. The Genius in that store told me he was 'far superior' to anybody at Apple Care, but, he still would not replace the phone.

Here is a pic of the dent:

[​IMG]

15. FJR macrumors regular

Can't apple care just send you a new 2G iPhone vial mail and then have you send in yours?

16. benh- thread starter macrumors member

No, they refuse to do that as well. They said I could send it in to depot, but I said I'm not doing that until you guarantee your going to give me a new one, because I sent my macbook into depot and it came back completely scratched. Apple Care said that's fair enough, but are no help in getting a store to replace it for me...

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Exactly.

From the OP's photo, it looks like significant damage.

18. aneftp macrumors 68040

Dent doesn't look too bad. Do u have another Apple retail store within driving distance. That's what I would try to do. However, you may want to lay low if you intend to return to the original store and try to get another Apple Genius Bar person.

I had a similar dent in the same place you had yours and it damaged the headphone/ear piece setting where I couldn't make the power button work anymore after a lady from work dropped my phone.. That must be a very sensitive area. The Apple Store I took it to, replaced it without questions.....although I will admit it was the grand-opening day at the Apple Store in Fair Oaks Mall, in Fairfax VA (about 25-30 miles outside of Washington DC) so they were really busy that day.

19. aosman macrumors 6502

Weird: I had dropped my 2G iPhone around 4 months ago; caused a huge dent and lots of scratches. I took it in for reception issues a month later and they gave me a new one. I guess it really depends on the Apple Store/Genius that one is dealing with.

20. benh- thread starter macrumors member

Well yes, I have never experienced such poor customer service from Apple. What got me was that on the phone a person from the Trafford Centre store told me: You wouldn't expect Sony Ericsson to replace your battery for free, would you? I replied with no, but I didn't pay hundreds of pound for my Sony, and anyway, the back opens up on that, and I could buy my own. I also said, it really isn't my fault you insist we cannot get into the phone, is it...he said, fair enough... Haha.

21. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

I went in two days ago and said my screen had uneven brightness, showed the guy the streak along the right side and he goes, okay, BRB. Comes back out with a fresh 4GB iPhone and has me sign some papers and I'm on my way. It did not come with 2.0 though and being on dialup, bummed me out a little, so gonna need to go find some wifi or something, ugh...

22. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

It depends greatly on the genius you get and what mood they are in. I would really try to send in an adult if you are a teen. Constantly their record is to give EXTREMELY POOR service and attitude towards teens and those dressed like a punk. Have an older person dressed in a shirt and a tie go in and I can Guarantee a completely different outcome. (from experience) If that doesn't work raise some hell and be heard. Be the judge of it though. If the damage is considerable, then the iPhone is totaled and you may need to buy a new one or Ebay it. If you complain and make a big enough stink they will work with you. Finding another genius is also another solution. Good Luck!

23. benh- thread starter macrumors member

It's not on..Apple NEED to sort out there communication. Today I had somebody from Apple Care telling me I'll definitely get a NEW iPhone. Then I had someone telling me Apple Care speak bull, then, someone back at Apple Care saying they have ego problems...then I had Apple stores across the country contacting each other, telling them how I would be calling there stores?! Do Apple have a head office or complaints number in the UK? Its bl00dy annoying how you get yours replaced for uneven brightness, and I don't get my iPhone replaced..it wont turn on!!

24. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Or send your gf in with a very low cut top, worked for me. And she had a laugh also ;)

25. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Almost exactly what I said! ;):p That stuff works.