Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m3lover1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2015
Hello! Last month my MBP was stolen, and I couldn't recover it. I finally received my replacement last night. Just got some questions about restoring my new laptop from my backups.

So I backed up my previous MBP using both time machine and backblaze. I will preface by saying I'm an idiot cause for my time machine the last time I backed up was 3/18, and my laptop was stolen on 3/31. I know I kept forgetting to plug in the hard drive when I was at work. Backblaze backed up until the day of the theft.

So what I did first with my new MBP I restored via my slightly outdated time machine with migration assistant. I am also in process of downloading my backup from backblaze. Now with regular files I'll just copy over from my backblaze backup to my MBP, but what about the folders/files inside the user\library folder that is in the backup? Iirc I didn't install any new programs in between the last time machine backup and the theft. Should I copy over the user library folder from my backup to my computer also? If I don't what effect does that have in terms of the state of my new MBP? My apps losing some data from before?

Thanks for your help!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I would not try to restore the Library folder from BackBlaze. At most, you may lose some app setting you changed in that couple week period.

Reactions: m3lover1

m3lover1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2015
I would not try to restore the Library folder from BackBlaze. At most, you may lose some app setting you changed in that couple week period.

Got it. Thanks!

I actually now remember something, I'm pretty sure I had a program where it changes the scrolling direction of the mouse compared to the trackpad automatically, so I don't have to go into settings to manually switch back and forth. It's missing. Any of y'all know of a program/utility that does that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.