Here it is, the MBP Black. Sort of.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamsen47, May 30, 2013.

1. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

2. renosausage macrumors regular

This looks 95 percent just like a Macbook Pro. The 5% that doesn't is just because it is black.

This just goes to show you that the rMBP isn't priced too high as everyone complains about.

With 256gb SSD this Razer Laptop comes in at $1999. $200 less than the entry rMBP.

It has a more powerful CPU and GPU, but the display is not retina quality and it only boast about 6hrs of battery life.

Now obviously this is a gaming laptop and comparing it to the rMBP is like comparing Apples and Oranges.

But, the fact is that when you try to find laptops of similar specs and size, you find that the rMBP is not overly priced.

Even if you take the 15" cMBP and slap a 256 SSD and 8gigs of RAM, it actually equals the same price of the 15" entry rMBP.

----------

You seriously need to watch the video!

LOL, I love it. The guy is clearly trying to mimic Jony Ive

3. defektion macrumors regular

Have you seen the insides?
    I do love how clean the Razer Blade internals look.

Edit: 99.9% Sure that's a rendering and not the actual product internals.

But the overall layout is similar.

Attached Files:

4. SnowLeopard2008, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013

SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

They completely ripped off Apple's MBP designs. I got an email promo from them and I almost thought it was Apple before I saw the green USB ports (my brain went straight to Razer). I'm not saying it's a "bad" thing, the MBP design is miles ahead of anything else on the market, save now for this.

It's priced similarly to Apple's Retina MBP and specs are probably similar what Apple will release for Haswell Retina MBPs.

----------

The battery design has a small flaw. Notice the MBP battery has 6 cells, that is more beneficial to overall battery life (more even wear on the cells) and longevity. The Razer Blade has only 3. Even with Optimus and Intel's next generation chips, it still can't offer 7+ hours of battery life of the rMBP. Haswell is supposed to increase battery life significantly...

5. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Wow, the cooling looks slightly better. I really like it but the price is too much for the resolution. I'd buy it if I had the money.

6. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

$1800 for 1600X1400 on a 14inch display? I LOLd

7. wmage macrumors member

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That looks sharp, too bad apple doesn't do this :(

9. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I wonder if they're made out of plastic like the first Razer blades were. That'd suck! I'd agree with you about the resolution, but to the target audience it's probably ideal since too high a resolution means too much for the small laptop GPU to drive.

10. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

they were made of aluminium and this one is aluminium as well

11. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

12. peejack macrumors 6502a

13. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

14. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

and who cares

its soldered you can see that they are basically on the same spot as the rmbp, right above the msata in the blade case

the vram should be hidden on the left heatsink

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Better representation if you actually want to see what it would look like:

[​IMG]

----------

Like what, a thin computer?

16. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

arrrggggghhhh!!!!!

glossy finish, my eyes! it hurts!

17. agaskew macrumors 6502

It is quite a nice looking bit of kit. But it will have the vomit-fest called Windows 8 running on it I guess....blurgh.

18. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

19. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

Come on man! This means that laptop industry as nothing more to say if other producers are only able to copy apple laptops.... is it possible that other brands aren't able to develop their own design style?

20. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Worse actually, 1600x900. And it's also a TN panel, not IPS.

If this machine had a 1080p IPS display it would be pretty nice.

21. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Pretty nice looking machine. However, I'd prefer a MBP in a matte black finish. Just my own personal preference.

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

How so? Compared to current gen MBPs which are getting close to being 1 year (or more) old. This is using next gen components that still aren't available to public.

Razer (for better or for worse) took Apple's 13" rMBP design, both internal and external and just enlarged it. Or the 15" rMBP design, and shrunk it. Result: a very nicely designed machine with great internals. Just like the 15" rMBP.

23. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Comparing it to the current Apple models, it's a toss up. The display for Apple puts it in Apple's favor, while the GPU puts in Razer's.

I'll wait for final say until I see what Apple announces at WWDC. I highly suspect WWDC is why Razer announced their product first. They're playing it safe and announcing their Haswell product first to get a head start, with some sort of expectation that they may have some stiff competition from Apple in a couple of weeks.

I doubt that Apple will announce a black MBP though. I won't say never, because it would sort of make sense given that their iPhones/iPads are in Black and White, with the white having more of the bare aluminum look that the MBP's have. They've added all those color options to the latest iPod Touches as well. Maybe it's a trend that will continue into their MBP lineup, who knows?