Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a departure from leather, Apple is expected to unveil an all-new line of FineWoven Apple Watch bands made from artificial materials, and these images are said to be our first look at what one of the official bands look like.

finewoven-apple-watch-band-official.jpg

Sourced by prototype device collector and leaker Kosutami, the images allegedly show one of Apple's official bands, which are described as being lightweight, thin, and smooth.

The bands are allegedly made from recycled nylon and polyester, with a twill weave pattern. Apple may have chosen these materials in an effort to appear eco-friendly, while simultaneously reducing their carbon footprint through the use of fabric-based leather substitutes.

According to Kosutami, the bands are also set to feature a splash-resistant coating, although the bands themselves are not fully waterproof.

According to the leaker, Apple created six color options for the FineWoven watch bands, but is only set to announce three of them during the special event today. The exact colors remain unknown at the time of writing.

finewoven-apple-watch-band-official-2.jpg

Kosutami also clarified that the FineWoven bands would be made by the same manufacturer that makes bands for the AppleWatch Ultra, with the materials allegedly being sourced from Japan.

Previous rumors have suggested that Apple will be removing leather options from its assortment of iPhone cases. Similar to the rumored FIneWoven Apple Watch bands, rumors claim that Apple also plans to release iPhone cases made from an artificial leather material under the same "FineWoven" moniker.

Information on the iPhone cases originated from DuanRui, a leaker who sources information from Chinese social media platforms.

Kosutami previously told MacRumors that Apple plans to discontinue all silicione accessories, and now claims that Apple intends to replace most of its leather accessories with ones made from more eco-friendly materials.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman recently said that Apple began offering Hermes leather accessories to its employees at discounts of up to 90% last month in an attempt to clear remaining inventory. He also added that he expects Apple to move away from leather on its Apple Watch bands, in addition to phone cases.

For more on what else Apple is expected to reveal at its "Wonderlust" event in a few hours, be sure to check out our latest roundup.

Article Link: Here's Our First Look at Apple's New 'FineWoven' Apple Watch Bands

Last edited:

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
/// The bands are allegedly made from recycled nylon and polyester, with a twill weave pattern. Apple may have chosen these materials in an effort to appear eco-friendly, while simultaneously reducing their carbon footprint through the use of fabric-based leather substitutes. ///

Sarc on: Yes because nylon and polyester are more eco-friendly than leather.. Let's bury each and see how long it takes to disappear.. The recycled bit is fine of course..

I remain skeptical, they should have introduced these beside the leather and let the consumer decide...

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I really like having a vegan option.
I know, lots of people hate products that are free from animal suffers, but it's great for the rest of us
They weren't killing cows to make watch bands and phone cases, it was using byproducts from already dead animals. I guess you're happy they will toss those parts of poor Bessie into the trash instead of putting them to use though?

Last edited:

j___e

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2023
They weren't killing cows to make watch bands and phone cases, it was using byproducts from already dead animals. I guess you're happy they will toss those parts of poor old Betsy into the trash instead of putting them to use though?
It goes hand in hand. If nobody needed byproducts of animals, meat wouldnt be that (too) cheap. An dead animal dont care if its skin is used or not.

dschulian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
They weren't killing cows to make watch bands and phone cases, it was using byproducts from already dead animals. I guess you're happy they will toss those parts of poor old Betsy into the trash instead of putting them to use though?
Ah, didn't know a cow doesn't suffer if killed for eating.
Apart from that, it is not always a by-product. It's in both directions.

It’s plastic
Recycled waste.

akashagrawal

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2021
Do you have source for that? I know it sounds logical, but I haven't seen a verified metric that the amount of cattle killed for meat corresponds 1:1 with the leather needs. In other words, what if the leather requirement is bigger than what the beef byproduct can provide? Especially because less than 100% of the entire skin actually ends up as leather. Even less ends up as premium top grain leather because it needs to be free from defects.

Additionally, leather tanning is not very ecologically friendly. I'm curious about what they're replacing leather with (once we know for sure) and how the carbon footprint and animal product use compares.

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow
/// The bands are allegedly made from recycled nylon and polyester, with a twill weave pattern. Apple may have chosen these materials in an effort to appear eco-friendly, while simultaneously reducing their carbon footprint through the use of fabric-based leather substitutes. ///

Sarc on: Yes because nylon and polyester are more eco-friendly than leather.. Let's bury each and see how long it takes to disappear.. The recycled bit is fine of course..

I remain skeptical, they should have introduced these beside the leather and let the consumer decide...
You obviously missed the word recycled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.