Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tim Cook has been finally pictured wearing the Apple Vision Pro headset. The photographs accompany a Vanity Fair article about the device, which leads on the digital cover of the magazine.

vanity-fair-vision-pro-tim-cook.jpg

This is the first time the Apple CEO has been seen wearing the device since its unveiling at WWDC 2023 in June. Given that Cook is usually keen to model and be seen using Apple devices, particularly during keynote events and speeches, it's interesting that the company appears to have been a little more reticent to take the same approach with Vision Pro, until now.

The article includes interview quotes from Tim Cook, Greg Joswiak, James Cameron, Jon Favreau, and others on their experience with Apple Vision Pro, how the headset was developed, and more. Here are some select quotes from the piece, which was written by Nick Bilton:
You can actually lay on your sofa and put the displays on your ceiling if you wish," Cook told me. "I watched the third season of [Ted] Lasso on my ceiling and it was unbelievable!" When I got home and hooked up my own Apple Vision Pro, I watched Ford v Ferrari on my ceiling, and with the spatial audio it felt like Ken Miles’s Ford GT40 was in the room with me. "I think meditation is on a different level than anything I’ve ever experienced, and I've meditated for a long time," Cook said. I've always had trouble meditating, and he was right about that too. "And I use it for productivity," Cook told me.

[...]

"I would say my experience was religious," the director James Cameron told me when I asked him about his first encounter with the Apple Vision Pro. "I was skeptical at first. I don’t bow down before the great god of Apple, but I was really, really blown away."

[...]

If there's one consistent grumble about the Apple Vision Pro, it's about the size and weight. It's around 20 ounces, which might not sound like a lot, because you cook with ounces, you don't necessarily wear them. But that's the same as five sticks of butter—imagine walking around with five sticks of butter on your face all day. Carolina Cruz-Neira, a pioneer of virtual reality, told me that the way a device sits on your face really impacts how you respond to the technology. "I’ve been working in VR for over 30 years, and until we can get the scuba diving mask off your face and we make it less noticeable, we’re not going to make this a mass-adoption technology," Cruz-Neira said. "And the size and weight of these scuba diving masks are not going to be solved in a year."

[...]

"There’s nothing we could have done to make it lighter or smaller," Richard Howarth [Apple VP of industrial design] explained. "This is the state of the art." Everyone else I spoke to at Apple proffered a similar sentiment. "It feels like we've reached into the future and grabbed this product," Joswiak said to me. "You’re putting the future on your face." As did Rockwell, who told me: "We packed just about as much technology as you could possibly pack into that small of a form factor."
You can read the full review on the Vanity Fair website.

042024_Apple_opener.jpg.jpg

Apple Vision Pro starts at $3,499 and launches in the U.S. this Friday, February 2. Apple has said the Vision Pro will launch in additional countries later this year.

Article Link: Here's What Tim Cook Looks Like Wearing Apple Vision Pro

Last edited:

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
Is the thing even plugged in or did he just do a really good job of tucking that cable behind his back?

Edit: Thanks to others, I can see it in the first photo now. It does not look as bright white as the ones in ads and review videos and really blends in to the yellow paint on the wall. They really are trying to minimize the look of that cable.

Last edited:

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
alrighty then, all those who repeated over and over, "there aren't even any pictures of Tim Cook wearing it" you will need to find a new drum. Was it coincidence the first one is a huge marketing ploy? Tim may not be anyone's hero, but turns out he is almost as slick as Steve in marketing.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
looks silly. they really need to work on slimming it down. it's been a while since i said that about an Apple product. I think all new Apple products start out chunky then lose weight. Maybe by the 3rd or 4th gen it'll look good.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Is the thing even plugged in or did he just do a really good job of tucking that cable behind his back?

you can see it in the first pic going down the left side.. in the second pic he is facing more to the side obscuring the cable going down his back to his back pocket? lol

Reactions: CarAnalogy

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Have you noticed how all the marketing material is basically just a single person in a room on their own? Strange for a device that is supposedly not going to make you feel alone / shut you off.

I would expect some material of a father wearing it at the Zoo while taking pictures of their children hugging a Gorilla but I guess they know how ridiculous that would be :D

Last edited:

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
When many reviewers like this one, say they were sceptical but are “blown away” by the experience, there must be something to it. I believe this is a glimpse into the future of personal computers/media devices. Also loved the fish tank anecdote.

It always amazes me how many folks here disparage this product without having ever tried it and yet feel 100% justified in their opinion, all the reviews be damned

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
I find it odd that he didn’t create his persona with glasses. There’s the option to add glasses when setting up your persona and he chose not to. Makes it seem that he KNOWS how truly silly and strange personas are!

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
Breaking: CEO of technology company says he uses latest product (“prawduct”, probably) to consume media from same company in breathless article.

Interestingly, he uses it for media consumption, not AR (he mentions productivity generically, with no specifics), having to watch on the ceiling to mitigate the weight of the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.