Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Now that it’s launching we will see Apple employees wearing it a lot. This is the launch event. Seeing it used all over the place.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
It's MacRumors, dude. That's ALL anyone does around here. They whine and moan and complain about EVERYTHING. They of course know better than Apple, they just haven't been interested in bothering to BE better than Apple. Not worth their time I guess.
It's not COOL to be the most valuable company in the world. So that's why they've not pursued what would inevitably be an even more valuable company. No, better to sit back in all-knowing judgement and sip your coffee. Sans AVP, of course.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
These pictures are staged to look like snapshots, but every single item in the picture is consciously placed. Do you really think there would be prototypes from upcoming products just lying around?

Correct, someone could stage the same shot with their existing iPad and position the pencil right next to a short end.

Or dig out their oldest iPad or iPhone (or even iPod touch), lay a pencil right next to it so that people could jump to conclusions that perhaps the pencil works with much older stuff too.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
alrighty then, all those who repeated over and over, "there aren't even any pictures of Tim Cook wearing it" you will need to find a new drum. Was it coincidence the first one is a huge marketing ploy? Tim may not be anyone's hero, but turns out he is almost as slick as Steve in marketing.
Not even close. There aren’t any adds worth mentioning as the iconic 1984, I’m a Mac, White iPod Headphones, Think Different. You are confusing a value meal at McDonalds to a top Michelin reviewed restaurant. Tim is as awkward of a human being as there ever was. Steve was impressed at how he handled the supply chain, but he missed completely on Tim’s humanitarian traits. And rarely do you ever find those in supply chain personnel. Don’t get me wrong, Tim may be a great person one on one, but has far as charm goes, when God was handing that out Tim said, “No thank you, I don’t want harm.”

These pictures are staged to look like snapshots, but every single item in the picture is consciously placed. Do you really think there would be prototypes from upcoming products just lying around?
Maybe, it gets people talking. Look how many posts there are on it in this thread alone. 😉

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
View attachment 2343824
Red: speaker grill locations
Blue: +/- buttons
(That's how it seems to me)
First thing I thought was it seemed thicker than any iPad I could recall (I don’t own an iPad Pro). Next, I saw what could be a consistent seam running both the shorter and longer sides. Made me think about the lid of a MacBook Air/Pro. Maybe those speaker grills are the hinges of the lid?

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
Religious experience? Come on James, you can do better.

And about the whole product, there's one thing I retain from all the reviews and interviews:

- Lots of good UI ideas (some weird and some really bad as well)
- Incredible hardware
- Having the behemot power of Apple behind this product is the guarantee that this will not be yet another moonshot at the concept
- iPadOS as the foundation gives it a very strong head start.

But my extended time with the Vive at home and other VR headsets at work allows me to make one very concerning conclusion:

This technology IS ISOLATING, whatever the marketing department wants you to believe in.

Since the new rise of VR with Oculus, this and the other concerns I have still not changed at ALL.

- Watching a movie on a giant screen? Great ! But... what's the point of going alone to the movie theatre?
- Working on productivity stuff? Aren't you better served with a couple 4k screens, a mouse and keyboard and a powerful and versatile OS like MacOS or Windows? Yes you can do that with the AVP, but with a brick on your face and a sore neck. Why?
- You're stuck to your chair/couch. Moving with a VR headset is still not a solved problem. Mixed /AR experiences can offset the issue to a point, but as soon as it become too immersive, many people will be prone to sickness (Nilay told that even watching Avatar in 3D made him uncomfortable)
- Interacting with others: as long as you can't share your "world", your own cyberspace, with others, you'll feel forever alone.
-Sharing: the need for customizing the device to your eyesight makes it very difficult to share. Go go go individualism ! Same approach as the iPad: why encourage your customers to share a device when you can upsell a device to each of them ? That's why iOS and iPadOS will never see multi-user implemented, and I suppose that if Apple could, it would do the same to MacOS.
- Getting interrupted during your experience will always be awkward for the person interrupting because they can't see what they are interrupting.

Are we really after this lite dystopia experience? Is this really something solving any issues, or at least more issues than it creates? The first images of that AVP dad filming the birthday was already quite telling, and even if it isn't pushed as strong as before, the people who proposed this kind of ideas are still trying to get you on their coolaid.

I think the main issue is that people working at Apple aren't family guys, they all live alone or in environment far diffrent than what "normal" people live everyday, with kids, significant others, relatives always around the corner, talking to you, showing you a photo,...

Believe me, I tried to use the Vive for somehting else than short experiences, and it is NOT compatible with a family life.

It's not by chance than the Meta Quest is focusing on games and fitness, two activities many people like when they're in their own world.

My bet is Apple will probably have to pivot around and focus on these experiences instead of productivity, for short bursts of adrenaline. Like they did with the Apple watch.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but while I appreciate the technological prowess, I'm really not sold on the concept.
Awesome novel. Thanks. Will save that for tonight in bed.

tekipaki

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2024
An exclusive interview with Tim Cook — I was really hoping we’d get some kind of insight into who this $3500 device is for and for what. Anything other than watching movies on a giant screen. Please! 🙏

“I watched Ted Lasso on my ceiling!” 🤦‍♂️

They really have no idea, do they?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
It's MacRumors, dude. That's ALL anyone does around here. They whine and moan and complain about EVERYTHING. They of course know better than Apple, they just haven't been interested in bothering to BE better than Apple. Not worth their time I guess 🤷‍♂️

Spot on. All of the inane juvenile comments here were sadly expected. It never stops.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
It's MacRumors, dude. That's ALL anyone does around here. They whine and moan and complain about EVERYTHING. They of course know better than Apple, they just haven't been interested in bothering to BE better than Apple. Not worth their time I guess 🤷‍♂️

Spare me the corporate worship. Every person in this thread, on MacRumors, on every Apple site, is already better than Apple, by miles. Every fan, every critic. We are individuals. Apple is a corporation. Apple's job is to manipulate people into spending money.

That exchange can be fair—I gave Apple money, they gave me AirPods, an iPhone, a MacBook Pro, among other things. They work as I need them to work and fulfill a need. But you know what Apple didn't pay me to do? Carry their water. Defend them as I'd defend a brother. I'll criticize every single thing Apple does if it irks me, and give them a thumbs up if it doesn't. But the idea that I should "aspire" to be as "good" as something as a corporation is ridiculous on its face.

SpringKid

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2019
What is this iPad with the Pencil attached on the side instead of top?
They might have adjusted the perspective of the photo in post, this is what happens when you adjust it in the other direction:

IMG_3468.jpeg

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Honestly, just the ability to use a device while lying in bed (and not worrying about dropping it on your own face like with a phone) is worth the $3500. :p

Based on my experience with this trying to watch a movie on my Quest 3, you will end up adjusting the fit CONSTANTLY in hope that it magically takes away the weight on your face (it doesn't) and the AVP is even more heavy!

Reactions: chrash and klasma
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.