Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
It's amazing to read all these comments from people who, in their real life, must be about as cool as you can be. I envision them strolling down a tree-lined street, wearing their ever so cool hipster sun glasses and designer clothes. And passing judgement on everyone else who, in their estimation, is not cool.

Thanks for all the cultural help judging the AVP, cool kids.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
These pictures are staged to look like snapshots, but every single item in the picture is consciously placed. Do you really think there would be prototypes from upcoming products just lying around?
It may be a sneak peek. I mean, it does look like the pencil is attached to the iPad, and is not just laying on the table on the iPad's short side by coincidence. And there aren't any flat-edge iPad cases with pencil attachment on the short side, for obvious reasons (and Tim would be very unlikely to use them if there were). So what other explanation could there be?

EDIT: It's probably perspective distortion as pointed out by MrENGLISH.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Lol, they are the only ones not to have read Apple's guidelines for how to call the device?
Apple said NOT to use the THE article in front of the name.
Instead, they put it straight on the cover ahah!
I noticed that most reviewers also haven't been following this silly guideline.

Dredd67

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Religious experience? Come on James, you can do better.

And about the whole product, there's one thing I retain from all the reviews and interviews:

- Lots of good UI ideas (some weird and some really bad as well)
- Incredible hardware
- Having the behemot power of Apple behind this product is the guarantee that this will not be yet another moonshot at the concept
- iPadOS as the foundation gives it a very strong head start.

But my extended time with the Vive at home and other VR headsets at work allows me to make one very concerning conclusion:

This technology IS ISOLATING, whatever the marketing department wants you to believe in.

Since the new rise of VR with Oculus, this and the other concerns I have still not changed at ALL.

- Watching a movie on a giant screen? Great ! But... what's the point of going alone to the movie theatre?
- Working on productivity stuff? Aren't you better served with a couple 4k screens, a mouse and keyboard and a powerful and versatile OS like MacOS or Windows? Yes you can do that with the AVP, but with a brick on your face and a sore neck. Why?
- You're stuck to your chair/couch. Moving with a VR headset is still not a solved problem. Mixed /AR experiences can offset the issue to a point, but as soon as it become too immersive, many people will be prone to sickness (Nilay told that even watching Avatar in 3D made him uncomfortable)
- Interacting with others: as long as you can't share your "world", your own cyberspace, with others, you'll feel forever alone.
-Sharing: the need for customizing the device to your eyesight makes it very difficult to share. Go go go individualism ! Same approach as the iPad: why encourage your customers to share a device when you can upsell a device to each of them ? That's why iOS and iPadOS will never see multi-user implemented, and I suppose that if Apple could, it would do the same to MacOS.
- Getting interrupted during your experience will always be awkward for the person interrupting because they can't see what they are interrupting.

Are we really after this lite dystopia experience? Is this really something solving any issues, or at least more issues than it creates? The first images of that AVP dad filming the birthday was already quite telling, and even if it isn't pushed as strong as before, the people who proposed this kind of ideas are still trying to get you on their coolaid.

I think the main issue is that people working at Apple aren't family guys, they all live alone or in environment far diffrent than what "normal" people live everyday, with kids, significant others, relatives always around the corner, talking to you, showing you a photo,...

Believe me, I tried to use the Vive for somehting else than short experiences, and it is NOT compatible with a family life.

It's not by chance than the Meta Quest is focusing on games and fitness, two activities many people like when they're in their own world.

My bet is Apple will probably have to pivot around and focus on these experiences instead of productivity, for short bursts of adrenaline. Like they did with the Apple watch.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but while I appreciate the technological prowess, I'm really not sold on the concept.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
"There’s nothing we could have done to make it lighter or smaller," Richard Howarth [Apple VP of industrial design] explained.
Except maybe not put a stupid display and glass on the front, pick lighter materials, replace motors that adjust the lenses to your eye distance once (!) with gears,… And that‘s not even talking about making an external battery, but not putting the computer part in the external enclosement and make it modular. It‘s obviously heavy by design, but it didn‘t have to be.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
It always amazes me how many folks here disparage this product without having ever tried it and yet feel 100% justified in their opinion, all the reviews be damned
For most people, the AVP is just going to be a really impressive tech demo and the cost of entry will keep them from buying one. For others, they would rather wait until AR/VR looks less goofy to wear and something more stylish like sunglasses.

I've owned several VR headsets over the past decade and consider myself to be an advocate for VR/AR and stereoscopic technology.

My first VR experience was with a cardboard VR headset and that wowed me.

Then I tried the Gear VR and that wowed me even more.

Next was with the Oculus Rift and that wowed me even more.

After that was with the HTC Vive and that wowed me even more.

When the PS VR came out, I found myself using it more and sold off all the other VR headsets I owed despite it being inferior in quality.

When the Quest 2 released, it was nice to feel untethered again like the earlier days of the cardboard VR and Gear VR.

As impressive as each new headset gets, the reality is they spend most of their time collecting dust and eventually get sold off.

I don't see AVP being any different after the hype dust settles. It's going to take a lot to make this a must own daily driver device.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
I'm sorry, but it looks like granny is wearing her ultra powerful reading goggles. Completely ridiculous. The least cool device Apple have ever made.
Stop! lol. I nearly spat my coffee over my MacBook.

You have inadvertently uncovered the perfect use case for Vision Pro, though! I could read hilarious comments all day (well, maybe for 10 minutes before the neck strain and migraines set in) without fear of douching my tech with caffeinated beverages.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Except maybe not put a stupid display and glass on the front, pick lighter materials, replace motors that adjust the lenses to your eye distance once (!) with gears,… And that‘s not even talking about making an external battery, but not putting the computer part in the external enclosement and make it modular. It‘s obviously heavy by design, but it didn‘t have to be.

... Or just releasing it as a peripheral for the Mac or iPad you already own.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Have you noticed how all the marketing material is basically just a single person in a room on their own? Strange for a device that is supposedly not going to make you feel alone / shut you off.

I would expect some material of a father wearing it at the Zoo while taking pictures of their children hugging a Gorilla but I guess they know how ridiculous that would be :D

Yes, the pictures that Father would be taking is likely the gorilla tearing his children apart. Recall the kid who got into a gorilla cage a few years ago at the Cincinnati zoo. There was no hugging expectations.

Unlike you, I lean positive on this brand new kind of product, but I do NOT see it as some kind of (local) group/social device. IMO, it's in the bag or quickly removed when its owner wants to interact with others around them... much like I'm almost never pulling the laptop out at a social gathering. I even leave my iDevice in the car when I intend to be in social settings, not wanting "the precious" to have a chance at taking my attention away from the people around me with even a notification. No Watch either... partially for the same reasoning.

That shared though, we ALL have abundant time in solo mode, focusing in on getting our work done or watching some bit of entertainment on our own. To me, that's where this thing can fit in just fine... in the same spots where a user is focused on getting something done on their laptop or flying somewhere and wanting to zone out with some movie, next to the guy in a sleep mask (and sometimes still in their covid mask too), next to a guy watching something of their own choosing on the seatback screen, their iDevice or their laptop screen.

Last edited:

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
It always amazes me how many folks here disparage this product without having ever tried it and yet feel 100% justified in their opinion, all the reviews be damned
It's MacRumors, dude. That's ALL anyone does around here. They whine and moan and complain about EVERYTHING. They of course know better than Apple, they just haven't been interested in bothering to BE better than Apple. Not worth their time I guess 🤷‍♂️

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Have you noticed how all the marketing material is basically just a single person in a room on their own? Strange for a device that is supposedly not going to make you feel alone / shut you off.

I would expect some material of a father wearing it at the Zoo while taking pictures of their children hugging a Gorilla but I guess they know how ridiculous that would be :D
well how else is one supposed to consume pr0n?

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
I'm sorry, but it looks like granny is wearing her ultra powerful reading goggles. Completely ridiculous. The least cool device Apple have ever made.
Until they‘re able to shrink them to the size of a regular pair of glasses, I don’t think there’s any VR helmet on the market that won’t look ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.