Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
Apple only have one server in the world that is geared to give west coast Americans the best upgrade experience?

Reactions: MacMediaNet

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
I have some concern that Big Sur won't be suitable for my three Macbooks, which are all of a 2013 to 2015 vintage. For example:

View attachment 1660547

I'm not in a position to buy replacements right now. Anyone have any idea just how much grunt Big Sur will need?
In my experience, as long as your device is supported, updating macOS is always worth it. The only exception is when you rely on software that is incompatible with a new version (e.g. if you rely on 32-bit software you will need to keep a copy of Mojave). A new version of macOS usually doesn't make your device slower (at least not in the last couple of years).

Reactions: cjbryce

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Apple only have one server in the world that is geared to give west coast Americans the best upgrade experience?
They very likely use Akamai for content delivery. So, when someone downloads, it’s likely coming from somewhere near their location.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
I beta tested Big Sur on a late 2013 13" MBP and with the exception of the bugs I mentioned above, it runs without problems. Very smooth. 8 GB ram and 256 GB SSD was the test config.
This is great news as I'm taking delivery of one today after an eBay purchase. My 2011 not being supported got annoying!

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
The thing that's not working for me is unlocking locked Notes with Apple Watch. Unlocking Mac, Safari passwords, system settings and such is working. Everything is up-to-date.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Staying on Mojave and riding my MBP into the sunset. My next Mac will be the next gen of the M1 maybe in 2022 or 23 because it will require all new software. :(

Reactions: Apple_Glen_UK

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
... for me personally its been very stable this release and no major issues in day to day working. Been using the beta on my main MacBook fine and working from home on it daily.

I'm interested to know if there have been any improvements or bug fixes to Mail.app. I've asked on a few threads to no avail.

Can you comment on that, please?

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
This might be a bit off topic but if Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro runs natively in M1, could this mean they could be ported to iPad?
It has been rumored, but nothing for a little while now. There should be updates to those plus Apple’s other apps coming soon, too (GarageBand in Apple’s recent event didn’t look like the current one).
546BC739-9917-40F0-BCD4-DA66638374BE.jpeg

They’re out!

Last edited:

vysyus

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
Anyone know if Adobe Creative Suite is Big Sur-friendly yet? Thanks.
Hey, I've been using the public betas and did some work on a project - light Photoshop, some Premiere Pro, After Effects and Media Encoder. I'm rendering a credits sequence in AE on Big Sur as I'm typing this. The only issue were a few Media Encoder crashes, I had no other issues. I'm a subscriber - newest version of all of the above. Hope that helps.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Last edited:

arvinsim

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2018
Never understood the fascination (evidenced here) with the very exact time a new OS version is available.

It’s not as if its a limited download first come first served, and often I wait a couple of days or more once the server traffic has calmed down and there’s reassurance the update doesn’t break something significant.
Ssssh let those people iron out the bugs. I am grateful for them so that I can upgrade when it's more stable.

Reactions: ninecows

thebeachbum

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Texas
This will be a new Apple experience for me. I gone from viable to vintage with my mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina. Now, I've reached a new "left behind" status. Can you "trade-in" a vintage Mac that you've modified with a higher capacity SSD? Went from 256 to 500.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Is it worth it to install this as a fresh install? This seems like a major release, and especially since I have a lot of time in this pandemic time.

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
This might be a bit off topic but if Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro runs natively in M1, could this mean they could be ported to iPad?
An interesting thought, and I’m sure it could be done at some point, but my thoughts are should it be done. As a Logic Pro user, the limitations for iPad that come to mind is (1) working with a single USB-C port, (2) touch gestures would be a nightmare except, maybe, on a 12.9 iPad Pro and (3) LP is written for macOS. While the new M1 machines allow running iOS/iPadOS apps on a Mac, going the other way is a different matter.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
This is great news as I'm taking delivery of one today after an eBay purchase. My 2011 not being supported got annoying!
If you do a clean install, it should work really nicely for you. I didn't clean install the beta on my test mac. I simply upgraded over Catalina. I really want to put big sur on my iMac, because I like the new look, but it's not worth it if it's not going to be stable. So, just getting as much feedback as I can in addition to my own experiences with the beta.

When I say stable i'm talking about the accessibility glitches I had. The system itself ran fine, as far as I was able to tell.

luthersnow74

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2020
I’m not seeing anywhere that indicates the 2012 Mac Mini will be supported hardware. It’s indicated in the article that it will be supported. Does anyone have any information otherwise? I have a 2012 I use for internet browsing, email, and calendar. I upgraded it years ago and honestly, it runs fabulously. I’m hoping I don’t have to replace it.

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I’m not seeing anywhere that indicates the 2012 Mac Mini will be supported hardware. It’s indicated in the article that it will be supported. Does anyone have any information otherwise? I have a 2012 I use for internet browsing, email, and calendar. I upgraded it years ago and honestly, it runs fabulously. I’m hoping I don’t have to replace it.

it is not officially supported. I have it also, but have no problem staying on Mojave until security support runs out end of 2021. Maybe then I will even upgrade to Catalina to make it work until end of 2022. 10 years is a good run, then it will be time for Apple Silicon.

Reactions: luthersnow74

roto1231

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
USA
Yebbut, I like to have the latest shiny, shiny. ???
There will probably be a well made patcher out there for it to run on older hardware. There are a few out there already which work well, but require a bit of fiddling to work 100%. DosDude may be working on a patcher like he did for prior macOS releases but not 100% sure yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: DinkThifferent
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.