Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logib

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Couldn't be bothered to wait, enrolled on the public beta, downloaded (approx 12gb) installed macOS Big Sur 11.01, removed public beta enrolment, all good here kids ?

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 14.46.55.png

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
I have some concern that Big Sur won't be suitable for my three Macbooks, which are all of a 2013 to 2015 vintage.

It's weird as 2014 Airs are supported. But you have to account what does Big Sur bring to you, in most cases unless you need very specific software like lastest Xcode, or some fancy new feature, it won't make such a difference for your workflow.

Can anyone tell me their experience going from Mojave to Big Sur? I mean, does it "feel" equally responsive or more clunky?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Hmm, I recall a similar article a couple months ago saying iOS 14 was going to be released at 10am Eastern, but it wasn't released until many hours later and caused chaos in the threads. Hopefully that doesn't happen this time.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I might wait for a .0.1 release, or even .1. Also, I suspect the download servers will be having a hard time of it from immediate launch.

• Wow
Reactions: Babygotfont

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Hey, I've been using the public betas and did some work on a project - light Photoshop, some Premiere Pro, After Effects and Media Encoder. I'm rendering a credits sequence in AE on Big Sur as I'm typing this. The only issue were a few Media Encoder crashes, I had no other issues. I'm a subscriber - newest version of all of the above. Hope that helps.
Appreciate the insight.

mcdenitz

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
I don't see any country from Africa listed here. You should always make it an effort includes some countries in Africa in such report as there is a huge market for apple products here. Take note.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
I'm interested to know how you know with OS's are still supported? Thanks in advance!
You can check out Apple's updates webpage to see which OS versions receive security updates on or near the same date when the latest OS version receives a point release.

In September 2020, it was a point release for Catalina, and security updates for Mojave and High Sierra; that pattern has been fairly consistent for a while now.

Before that, it had been Mojave getting point releases, and security updates for High Sierra and Sierra.

It is reasonable to expect that soon we will see High Sierra drop off the list, and Big Sur will be the one that starts getting point releases.

antniomanso

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
Nunya Busi Ness
Never understood the fascination (evidenced here) with the very exact time a new OS version is available.

It’s not as if its a limited download first come first served, and often I wait a couple of days or more once the server traffic has calmed down and there’s reassurance the update doesn’t break something significant.
if you're someone who for example leaves home at a certain moment it can be cool to know at what time the update drops, if it drops at 9am it's cool to be reminded to open software update and click to update so when you get home later in the evening you have your Mac already updated, like "while you were working I made you this"

N0ughtsAndCr0sses

macrumors regular
May 30, 2017
UK
I'm excited but saddened for this release as this is the first time in several years that I wont be able to update. Must buy a new mac :(
I see people here who post besides the thread...

I am so excited for this update....

You must be really lonely.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
This might be a bit off topic but if Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro runs natively in M1, could this mean they could be ported to iPad?

Well yes but remember iOS and macOS, while similar under the hood, is still very different in terms of APIs and User Experience namely the use of Keyboard and Mouse vs Pencil and Fingers. Not sure if it make any sense on an iPad though.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
An interesting thought, and I’m sure it could be done at some point, but my thoughts are should it be done. As a Logic Pro user, the limitations for iPad that come to mind is (1) working with a single USB-C port, (2) touch gestures would be a nightmare except, maybe, on a 12.9 iPad Pro and (3) LP is written for macOS. While the new M1 machines allow running iOS/iPadOS apps on a Mac, going the other way is a different matter.
Logic Pro already supports multi-touch via the iPad. I don't have it, but can imagine it'd be cool :)

iu

Goodbye Mac OS X! Tonight, you'll forever be sucked into that black hole, never to be seen again. ?? Thanks for the fun!
Do feel free to drop by! MacRumors, come for the Mac, stay for the forums :D

Hmm, I recall a similar article a couple months ago saying iOS 14 was going to be released at 10am Eastern, but it wasn't released until many hours later and caused chaos in the threads. Hopefully that doesn't happen this time.
I've found that anything can cause chaos nowadays. Apple can say they're delivering a phone on the 13th, actually DO that, but until it gets in their hands... chaos! :)

Reactions: DinkThifferent

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
As it happens 1800hrs UK time came and went with no update available.

Same for 1806hrs.

This is the first time I have used the published time to hit cmd-R for an update. Bored of it already so will do my normal 'get around to it at some point, including various ignored onscreen prompts' approach that has served me so well.

:)

mitty

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
Melbourne
Showing in appStore but when you click "Get" it goes to the update window and says "update not available".

sxz451

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
I have some concern that Big Sur won't be suitable for my three Macbooks, which are all of a 2013 to 2015 vintage. For example:

View attachment 1660547

I'm not in a position to buy replacements right now. Anyone have any idea just how much grunt Big Sur will need?
Should I update to macOS Big Sur with my MBA 2015 13in i5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.