Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are your apps crashing?

• Total voters

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
When you got the new iPhone replacement, you shouldn't have updated iOS if you believe the new versions are the problem.

At the time, having been given a new phone, we (that is: me and the Genius) believed it had to have been a problem with the phone and I was told to set it up as a brand new phone.. In doing that, I downloaded the very latest OS as one expects the latest version of the OS to be the most
Also - see this link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7527095?start=0&tstart=0
I have not seen springboard before in location services. To me - very unusual.

Thanks folks.

I've just reset all Privacy and Location settings.

I'm now downloading ios 9.3.2 having done some googling and see a few Plus owners say they're battery took a hit on 9.3.1 but 9.3.2 fixed that.

This is based on your (gratefully received advice) having just spoken at length to Apple on the phone. First advisor was stumped who passed me to a Senior Advisor who was very friendly but I don't think knew what he was talking about. He insisted BTserver was to do with me using BT wifi (I don't) and then said it must be my work wifi, to which I told him I haven't been at work and surely BT Server is Bluetooth related.

Similarly, I had to explain that JetSam Event is not a third party app that I downloaded and he was telling me to install Malware checkers from the App Store. I questioned why you would need them on an iPhone that runs a closed OS. He said to try it anyway.

He also says all those things I posted above are not necessarily crashes, but lists of what's running at the moment (I don't know if that's true - but I don't think it is)

I may be wrong, but got the feeling he didn't have a clue and to be honest, there was no way I was going to wipe and setup as new AGAIN and lose everything AGAIN on that basis.

Anyway, here's hoping 9.3.2 fixes things. I have just had a friend with the same phone who has also noticed his battery dropping quickly say he has loads of these crash logs too. So maybe it is a common problem that nobody has cottoned on to yet.. IDK

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
... Similarly, I had to explain that JetSam Event is not a third party app that I downloaded and he was telling me to install Malware checkers from the App Store. I questioned why you would need them on an iPhone that runs a closed OS. He said to try it anyway....

If you do an internet search or jetsam event or jetsamevent, all the results seem to be talking about low ram/memory and battery draining and crashes. Some search results were from iOS versions before 9, so maybe this is not new in ios 9 but you are just noticing it now because you use your iphone more.

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
If you do an internet search or jetsam event or jetsamevent, all the results seem to be talking about low ram/memory and battery draining and crashes. Some search results were from iOS versions before 9, so maybe this is not new in ios 9 but you are just noticing it now because you use your iphone more.
My phone usage has definitely not changed

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Hi - There is an issue that causes what I categorize as severe battery drain + high data usage (cell and/or wifi). It's really unusual - a system task/daemon called identityservices - it's working on some iCloud queue - not sure which one - but, the task has to do with credentialing - it uses the largest portion of the CPU on the system side. And to boot - it's systemic across other iOS and OS X devices under the same Apple ID - such that the same thing may be happening on other devices - since this system task is also on those devices. Since I've had iPhones, starting with the very first one, my battery life has been good to excellent. Recently (April) it all went downhill - very much so. I investigated and found what I call a runaway task -- I did it by using the Instruments option from Xcode - in my case I know - for me - the runaway task was the issue.

Before I go on - does this sound at all like it may be your issue? One possible way to tell is to look at your diagnostic reports - and see if there is one or more reports for something like this title: ExcResource_identityservices. Another sign is the usage and standby times are close together - and if you are looking at your cell data usage there are higher peaks than you normally experience. Especially under System Services.

If it is - let me know and I'lll post a list of some things that have worked for some people.

UPDATE:
I’ll post these now since we have a time difference - you are on the other side of the pond.

If Usage and Standby times are close together and you have an unusual high data usage (can tell when on cell) and/or you have a report or two that I mentioned- one of these steps may help you:

• Turn off all your iOS and OS X devices - turn them back on one-by-one (worked for me for almost two days)
  • DFU your iPhone - Restore as New - Add Apps from App Store - Not Backup (Has been working for a while now) - you did this though
Other easy to try approaches that seems to work for some people (I have not tried these):
  • Turn off “Allow Calls on Other Devices”
  • Reset your Apple ID Password via appleid.apple.com
  • Turn off iCloud Keychain on all your iOS & OS X devices - reboot them
It seems to me - in my non-expert opinion - that if you - in effect - break the loop - disrupt the queue that identityservices is processing - the problem goes away.

BTW - FWIW - IMO - this has nothing to do with what is turned on or off - location services - background app refresh, etc. - I think IOS and the iPhone is built to work well under those conditions - unless there is a bad user app that is always running in the background - Waze, etc. I also don't think it's tied directly to 9.x. I've traced this back, in multiple forums, to sometime in 2014 where very similar conditions were posted.
Thanks for your wall of text but I'm afraid I have to tell you all of your suggested methods don't work.
After upgrading to iOS 9, my 6 plus had dropped to only 6h of usage from 8h. On 9.3.1, I could only get 5h.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Based on those logs I'd say your phone is quite messed up (but you already knew this). The Jetsam events are related to a lack of memory. I typically see these on jailbroken devices because some tweaks installed tend to suck up available memory or leak it (bad programming), but this is not the case. You also have a bunch of other logs regarding location daemon and a lot of other app crashes.

I'd get that phone replaced. Show the logs to a Genius at the Apple Store. 9.3+ is very stable, and you unfortunately have a lemon here.
Are you saying the number of jetsamevents the OP posted is evidence of a bad phone or ANY jetsamevents? I have them, too, but not nearly in the number that the OP has. One more thing to obsess about!

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
Once the 9.3.2 file is available, I would look at doing a DFU Mode update of iOS 9.3.2. Restore from backup so you don't lose data.

I know I'm going to end up having to do this, but I'm desperately trying to avoid doing this and spending God knows how long redownloading everything..

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Nope, what I mean is my 9000 songs which I have to download in playlists to get them from iCloud Music Library and available for offline. Also the 20,000+ photos etc.

Oh damn! Good luck with all that. Honestly, I would get after sooner versus later as that should solve the problem. If it still doesn't after all that, I don't even know what to tell you.

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
Oh damn! Good luck with all that. Honestly, I would get after sooner versus later as that should solve the problem. If it still doesn't after all that, I don't even know what to tell you.

I know, right? I'll probably just give it a go tomorrow and just put it down to experience.
What's the difference between doing a DFU restore and a normal restore? Just curious..
As in, not how do you do it, but what does it achieve?

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
What is iPhone DFU mode?
DFU mode is a state that you can put your iPhone into where it can interface with iTunes but does not load the iPhone operating system or boot loader (this is what really differs DFU mode from recovery mode). DFU stands for Device Firmware Update.

What is DFU mode used for?
The primary reason people need to access DFU mode on their iPhone is to change the firmware on the device. This can serve to downgrade to a prior iPhone firmware and operating system, or to use a custom firmware that is required for a jailbreak or SIM unlock. For instance, if you got the iPhone iOS 9 download installed and decided you would rather have a prior version of the firmware on your iPhone, you would need to do this through DFU mode.

As OS X Daily explained, DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode is a means to getting your iPhone to interface with iTunes without iTunes automatically loading the latest version of iOS onto it (it skips the iBoot bootloader, for jailbreak aficionados). Differing from recovery mode -- where iTunes restores your iPhone to its original factory settings but with the latest iOS and firmware -- DFU mode allows you to change and choose the firmware you want to install onto your iPhone. For instance, you would use DFU mode if you want to install a previous version of iOS, jailbreak your iPhone or unlock your SIM. If (for whatever reason) standard recovery isn't working for you to get your device back to working condition, DFU may help you out.

Remember, if you restore your phone in any fashion (via the iTunes 'Restore' button, recovery mode or DFU) you will lose any modifications made to unsynced content or in-app data since your last iTunes sync (game states, voice memos, notes etc.). Be cautious.

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
What is iPhone DFU mode?
DFU mode is a state that you can put your iPhone into where it can interface with iTunes but does not load the iPhone operating system or boot loader (this is what really differs DFU mode from recovery mode). DFU stands for Device Firmware Update.

What is DFU mode used for?
The primary reason people need to access DFU mode on their iPhone is to change the firmware on the device. This can serve to downgrade to a prior iPhone firmware and operating system, or to use a custom firmware that is required for a jailbreak or SIM unlock. For instance, if you got the iPhone iOS 9 download installed and decided you would rather have a prior version of the firmware on your iPhone, you would need to do this through DFU mode.

As OS X Daily explained, DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode is a means to getting your iPhone to interface with iTunes without iTunes automatically loading the latest version of iOS onto it (it skips the iBoot bootloader, for jailbreak aficionados). Differing from recovery mode -- where iTunes restores your iPhone to its original factory settings but with the latest iOS and firmware -- DFU mode allows you to change and choose the firmware you want to install onto your iPhone. For instance, you would use DFU mode if you want to install a previous version of iOS, jailbreak your iPhone or unlock your SIM. If (for whatever reason) standard recovery isn't working for you to get your device back to working condition, DFU may help you out.

Remember, if you restore your phone in any fashion (via the iTunes 'Restore' button, recovery mode or DFU) you will lose any modifications made to unsynced content or in-app data since your last iTunes sync (game states, voice memos, notes etc.). Be cautious.

Thanks buddy. What I don't quite get is why doing an iCloud restore via DFU vs just a standard restore any different? I assume both are going to download the latest iOS version and install it, so how would this solve a software issue if it is the same software?
I'm gonna do it anyway - and probably will have by the time you respond because I think you're in the US and therefore, several hours begin - but just wondered. I get that it goes deeper than a standard restore in DFU mode, but it still downloads and replaces the iOS with the latest version from Apple's servers..

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
UPDATE:

So last night, I updated to 9.3.2. Used it normally and this morning, decided to see how I got on.

Unplugged phone at 6am. Used it constantly. Got to 40 mins of usage and 46 mins off charger before I dropped down to 99%. Win!
Managed to use it a good while and got it down to 93% by the time I left the house at 7:40am. Again, win!
Was 91% when I got on the train for a 45 min journey, by which point, it had dropped to 89%. Not unexpected since I was travelling at high speed and going through however many cell towers etc.
But then, I walked from the station to work (a walk of 20 mins) through Central London, while listening to music (not streaming, but downloaded) and it went down to 83%. Bizarre.
And I still have these damn crash logs.

So now, I'm sat at work, doing a full DFU installation to 9.3.2 and will restore from iCloud. And then begins the whole laborious task of getting all of my songs and photos pulled down from iCloud. I did search for an anvil to repeatedly drop on my foot as I would rather do that, but in the absence of that, I decided to go ahead with this process.

If it doesn't work, God knows what will!

rovolisgiorgos

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015
Greece
Will do the same, but i suggest that you do not restore your backup and set up as new. I know, makes the process even more time-consuming but it is the only way to avoid carrying over any glitches of the past :)

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
I don't have an option.
I checked my phone had fully backed up to iCloud. It told me that happened at 2301 last night.
I have now just done the restore and there is no longer an option to choose between setting up as a new iphone or restoring from iCloud backup during the process. It just sets it up as a new phone.
I've lost everything!
[doublepost=1463476299][/doublepost]To clarify: in Backups on the phone, it says that the phone was backed up last night, so still recognises there is a backup there.
My phone is also connected to my laptop via cable and it says 'This iPhone has never been backed up to iCloud'
[doublepost=1463476837][/doublepost]UPDATE 2:

Exasperated, I just did another DFU but this time, unplugged from my laptop and it then gave me the option to restore from the backup. How bizarre.
To clarify, I was doing the original setup via the phone and didn't have the option. Just redid the same thing but unplugged the cable. So it appears there is some glitch/deliberate setting that stops you getting that option if you have a cable plugged in. Who knew!

UPDATE 3:
Stuck on 'Time Remaining - Estimating'. This seems to be a bug, according to Google.. I give up. It just works? Obviously not, Apple. :mad:
Setup from scratch. Again.

Last edited:

robnbill

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Northern VA - Fairfax Area
I don't have an option.
I checked my phone had fully backed up to iCloud. It told me that happened at 2301 last night.
I have now just done the restore and there is no longer an option to choose between setting up as a new iphone or restoring from iCloud backup during the process. It just sets it up as a new phone.
I've lost everything!
[doublepost=1463476299][/doublepost]To clarify: in Backups on the phone, it says that the phone was backed up last night, so still recognises there is a backup there.
My phone is also connected to my laptop via cable and it says 'This iPhone has never been backed up to iCloud'
[doublepost=1463476837][/doublepost]UPDATE 2:

Exasperated, I just did another DFU but this time, unplugged from my laptop and it then gave me the option to restore from the backup. How bizarre.
To clarify, I was doing the original setup via the phone and didn't have the option. Just redid the same thing but unplugged the cable. So it appears there is some glitch/deliberate setting that stops you getting that option if you have a cable plugged in. Who knew!

UPDATE 3:
Stuck on 'Time Remaining - Estimating'. This seems to be a bug, according to Google.. I give up. It just works? Obviously not, Apple. :mad:
Setup from scratch. Again.
FWIW - When I did my DFU I set up as new - and did not restore from a backup. Supposedly doing so could restore old glitches. At least that's what you read in these forums. I'm not sure what it could restore that would cause a problem since it would just be settings and apps. In any event, while painful (especially our Photos in my case), it worked.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Tip: Always have an iTunes backup and an iCloud one. When restoring, always go for the iTunes one unless it ends up corrupted. The iCloud one should only be used if you like waiting days for photos to download from iCloud. With iTunes, assuming you have "store all photos on device" on and not "optimize storage", it will save all your pictures so that would at least be a good way to have everything on your device in less than 20-30 mins.

Are you saying the number of jetsamevents the OP posted is evidence of a bad phone or ANY jetsamevents? I have them, too, but not nearly in the number that the OP has. One more thing to obsess about!

I meant all his logs combined. Jetsam events are common; if your phone is stable and has adequate battery life I wouldn't worry too much.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Thanks buddy. What I don't quite get is why doing an iCloud restore via DFU vs just a standard restore any different? I assume both are going to download the latest iOS version and install it, so how would this solve a software issue if it is the same software?
I'm gonna do it anyway - and probably will have by the time you respond because I think you're in the US and therefore, several hours begin - but just wondered. I get that it goes deeper than a standard restore in DFU mode, but it still downloads and replaces the iOS with the latest version from Apple's servers..

I think the DFU is like a format reinstall where as the restore is like an update on top of. I could be wrong but I believe that is what I read somewhere before.

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
I think the DFU is like a format reinstall where as the restore is like an update on top of. I could be wrong but I believe that is what I read somewhere before.

I swear to god, I hope this has fixed it because I'm at the end of my tether. It is 7pm here. I started doing this restore at 9:30am. It has taken that long to get my apps back but also download all of my music down from iCloud Music Library. 9000 songs and multiple errors appearing. I'm ready to chuck this phone out of the window.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Well 9.3.2 has shown you promise so I think you will be good.
[doublepost=1463508207][/doublepost]
I swear to god, I hope this has fixed it because I'm at the end of my tether. It is 7pm here. I started doing this restore at 9:30am. It has taken that long to get my apps back but also download all of my music down from iCloud Music Library. 9000 songs and multiple errors appearing. I'm ready to chuck this phone out of the window.

Yea, make sure in the future you do your backups for your devices to iTunes. This keeps them local and makes the restore so much faster. Encrypt them as well for security.

robnbill

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Northern VA - Fairfax Area
BTW. I just remembered - Spotlight indexing seems to run for a while after an iOS update. There may be some usage after that. I don't know if it runs when not plugged in though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.