'Hey Siri' plugged in only?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Julien, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I thought 'Hey Siri' was like Google now on Android. However the phone must be plugged into a power cord to respond. This seems a little counterintuitive. I understand keeping the mic on is a slight power drain but Android does it. Can the M7 chip monitor the mic since it uses very little power?

Also I don't like anamorphizing (plus I have an iPad too). Is there any way to change the voice command?

2. got2go macrumors member

3. DMaki650 macrumors 6502

DMaki650

That's cause it's off by default. You have to turn it on.

4. Liam Steven macrumors regular

I understand about it only working when connected to a power source but I was hoping it would function when connected to the bluetooth system in my car....

5. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

uses too much battery.

moto x debuted this feature and had a separate processor for this entirely.

iphone 6 finally has battery that last the whole day (or more), apple didn't want to ruin this.

hey siri is awesome for people while driving, total handsfree experience. being that for most this is the most useful time to use hey siri, needing it to be plugged in aint so bad.

6. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

That is why I asked about the M7. I know the M7/M8 is more about motion but if it could monitor the mic also?

7. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

It will....if it's plugged in.

8. got2go macrumors member

Yea no kidding I'm not an idiot.

I turned the Hey Siri toggle to on, plugged my phone into my computer to charge and it still didn't work.

9. gpspad macrumors 6502

It's probably also off by default due to privacy and hacking concerns. Technically it's sitting their listening for someones "Hey Siri" command.

10. Liam Steven macrumors regular

I never plugin in the car.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The "Hey Siri" function works best when plugging into your car.

The only use for it imho.

12. Liam Steven macrumors regular

Hmm, I can understand that but I think it would be better if it was "always listening" when it detected the phone connected to a car bluetooth system.

If I connect my phone via USB it switches into iPod mode (which doesn't play nice with Spotify) so Bluetooth it has to be for me...

13. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I have had my iPhone 6 Plus plugged in when I was watching TV and at least 2 times now something was said on TV that put the phone in Siri mode as if it heard the phrase "hey siri". :)

14. DVDxR macrumors regular

For right now I think we should all be glad it doesn't work all the time. I've had it come on randomly when it thought it heard "Hey Siri". During TV and while I was on phone calls (not on the iPhone, my desk phone while the iphone was sitting there plugged in). It will also respond to it's own audio (one site already tested it with voice notes). It's a little inaccurate at the moment. Awkward enough when it's in situations where it's plugged in. Out in public.... :eek: I can just imagine people's pockets randomly chattering away.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Charging somewhere in the room while you are not directly next to your device.

16. nws0291 macrumors 6502a

I use it to change alarms when I forget and need a different one. Also home automation commands when in bed or in the living room with homekit.

17. blodyholy, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

blodyholy macrumors member

blodyholy

Not sure if this was mentioned already elsewhere, but has anyone noticed that "Hey, Siri" works when not plugged into a power source, but only after initially holding the home button, asking Siri a question, and leaving Siri up?

Bug, or feature?

18. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

In the beta I would be sitting talking to someone and had a voice from my pocket. Kinda awkward. Lol

19. Mjforde macrumors newbie

I was reading an email out loud and said "please call 1800-xxx-xxxx". Siri picked the number out of a large paragraph, popped up and started dialing. Hey Siri was turned on, but the phone was locked (over 5 mins) with the screen off and NOT plugged in to anything. I've tried to repeat it with no success. This really made me rethink why I've got hey Siri on. some real Orwellian stuff going on.

20. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

LOL, I've already tried this in a room with 5-6 iPhones charging. "Hey Siri!" and all the phones lit up and went "ding!" Didn't even need to say it that loudly.

Now just imagine if some popular radio DJ with thousands of listeners did this. "Hey Siri! ... Text mom, I'm pregnant!" :eek:

21. Padmini macrumors 6502a

While plugged in is the only time it makes any sense at all.

And you should probably look up what counterintuitive means.

22. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I use it many other time:

In the kitchen (set a timer etc.) So nice not to have to dry/wash my hands
    On the night stand - set an alarm, tell me what my appointments are, read my text in the morning before I have my glasses on etc.

Its extremely useful for me.

23. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The M co-processors don't handle processing voice and speech.

The same happens for my car, and combined with the USB port being in the most inconvenient place of the glovebox, in the car I use an actual car charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter and hook up that way, and then use Bluetooth.

24. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I thought that was pretty cool. I used it the other night while driving. The only problem was that my AUX cable was in.

Around the house it's good to use. For example, the iPhone was on the charger and I needed a quick look at the iphone. And I was getting ready to go out of the house. So I can use Siri without picking up the phone.

It would be nice if you didn't have to use it on a charger.

25. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

I do know the definition of counterintuitive and meant to use it, but thanks for your failed attempt to enlighten me.

There are several Android phones that have have a 'OK Google' listening mode while NOT plugged in and it makes sense if you like the feature.

I use Siri during the day while unplugged but I don't use Siri at night while it's plugged in charging: counterintuitive