Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roksraka

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Slovenia
Hello!
For a while now, whenever I turned on the screensaver and left my desk for half an hour, I'd come back to see my CPU temperature rise to 80ºC and my fans spinning at a substantial speed. When I wake it up again and unlock the computer, it quickly cools down and is nice and quiet again. I did look at the activity monitor immediately after waking up the computer, and there were no problematic processes going on. This problem occurs even if I have almost no background applications open - only Safari, Mail, Messages...

I'm using a late 2013 15" rMBP (2.0Ghz i7, 16GB...) with an external monitor and running the latest El Capitan 10.11.6. I even cleaned the fans about a month ago...

Is anybody experiencing similar problems?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hello!
For a while now, whenever I turned on the screensaver and left my desk for half an hour, I'd come back to see my CPU temperature rise to 80ºC and my fans spinning at a substantial speed. When I wake it up again and unlock the computer, it quickly cools down and is nice and quiet again. I did look at the activity monitor immediately after waking up the computer, and there were no problematic processes going on. This problem occurs even if I have almost no background applications open - only Safari, Mail, Messages...

I'm using a late 2013 15" rMBP (2.0Ghz i7, 16GB...) with an external monitor and running the latest El Capitan 10.11.6. I even cleaned the fans about a month ago...

Is anybody experiencing similar problems?

Have you tried resetting PRAM & SMC?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas

I've seen the same thing with other users who were using an external monitor. Try removing your external monitor as a test, activate the screensaver, and wait. If the fans don't rev up and the machine stays cool, you'll know the cause is because you're using an external monitor and it's loading down the GPU. And by all means try resetting the PRAM and SMC as has been recommended.

roksraka

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Slovenia
I've seen the same thing with other users who were using an external monitor. Try removing your external monitor as a test, activate the screensaver, and wait. If the fans don't rev up and the machine stays cool, you'll know the cause is because you're using an external monitor and it's loading down the GPU. And by all means try resetting the PRAM and SMC as has been recommended.

I'll give that a try...but it might be the GPU, or lack-there-of. It only has the Iris Pro. :(

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
I'll give that a try...but it might be the GPU, or lack-there-of. It only has the Iris Pro. :(
That will do it, I have the 13" model of the same year, from what I know screen savers are Open GL based and causes the Iris GPU/CPU to get hot and ramp the fans up, but only when I have upped the resolution from 1280*800 HiDPI to 1650*1050 HiDPI. Thats not very well optimized for something that runs when your computer is supposed to be using low power i.e idle. Unless you really want the screen saver, best you can do is disable the screen saver and just have the screen turn off instead, or try using a different one.

Reactions: henr7

roksraka

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Slovenia
That will do it, I have the 13" model of the same year, from what I know screen savers are Open GL based and causes the Iris GPU/CPU to get hot and ramp the fans up, but only when I have upped the resolution from 1280*800 HiDPI to 1650*1050 HiDPI. Thats not very well optimized for something that runs when your computer is supposed to be using low power i.e idle. Unless you really want the screen saver, best you can do is disable the screen saver and just have the screen turn off instead, or try using a different one.

Thanks for your insight :) I might just turn it off then...

Garrod

Suspended
Nov 13, 2008
UK
Screen savers = obsolete and waste of energy. Just set it so the screen switches off when idle. It is probably cheaper to buy a budget toaster and throw it through the air.

Reactions: stevchrly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.