Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Applespider said:
I find it far more pleasant that many forums out there - hence why there are more bannings from those who disrupt the applecart; not so much with their views but with their ways of expressing them.

I might give you less knowledgeable compared to places like the Mac Ach or Macosxhints but less intelligent? I'd disagree on that one for most of the regulars here. But since MR comes up pretty high on the list of Mac sites, I suspect we get more than our fair share of hit-and-runs who make particularly stupid comments on new hardware/software and are rarely seen again.

I also think people feel more comfortable posting their "newbie" questions here in large part due to the pleasant atmosphere, which explains why the MR community may seem less knowledgeable in general... newbie discussion is a lot more welcome here than at those other boards. It's a great way to build a loyal community.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Can we have MacRumors court, the banned can plead there case in front of a panel of members and they get to decide there fate. The Mods can be the prosecutors and a defense attorney can be assigned.:cool:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Flowbee said:
I also think people feel more comfortable posting their "newbie" questions here in large part due to the pleasant atmosphere, which explains why the MR community may seem less knowledgeable in general... newbie discussion is a lot more welcome here than at those other boards. It's a great way to build a loyal community.

With respect to help request threads and problem solving, I've found that when I search for solutions to problems, I find relevant threads already exist on MacOSXhints slightly more often than here. But then the relevant threads there are very hard to follow and understand. When I find a thread here, it's usually very helpful either in clearly explaining a solution or identifying that there isn't one. But then again (erm, I don't want this to sound snobbish...) I think most of the time when I search the questions I am asking are not in the noob territory. And also more often than not they're not that amenable to solutions.... :(

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
MacNut said:
Can we have MacRumors court, the banned can plead there case in front of a panel of members and they get to decide there fate. The Mods can be the prosecutors and a defense attorney can be assigned.:cool:
We already have that. We ban 'em, and they can appeal to arn. :)

It works pretty well. Let me know if you'd like to try out the system. ;)

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
Blue Velvet said:
You know what? I don't think we should talk about individual people's bannings.

Those in glass houses...

Aww... And I was just going to bring up a recent banning that most people would find interesting, but I think went under most people's radar...

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
JRM PowerPod said:
Can Arn be banned?

I believe that question is akin to "Can Jesus microwave a borrito to be so hot, He Himself cannot eat it?"

The answer is yes, but He could still eat it. It's hard on the brain...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
JRM PowerPod said:
Can Arn be banned?
Yes, Arn can be banned. But only if both Chuck Norris and Jack Bauer defeat him in hand-to-hand combat.

By the way, speculating that Arn could lose to either Chuck Norris or Jack Bauer is a bannable offense.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
Well, I'm intrigued by the whole issue of banning. I don't want to go into specifics but I have seen threads where, in my understanding of 'the rules', almost every other poster should have been banned. I've also seen some personal insults go 'unpunished' - I guess it depends whether anyone complains or not. I think it can be very subjective and down to who's about at the time. That said, nothing's perfect and on the whole I think that things are handled well here.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
calculus said:
Well, I'm intrigued by the whole issue of banning. I don't want to go into specifics but I have seen threads where, in my understanding of 'the rules', almost every other poster should have been banned. I've also seen some personal insults go 'unpunished' - I guess it depends whether anyone complains or not. I think it can be very subjective and down to who's about at the time. That said, nothing's perfect and on the whole I think that things are handled well here.

The mods strive for a consistent application of the forum policies, but that is of course impossible to achieve in practice. They do come pretty darn close though. If you see personal insults, by all means report it...I do. The mods can't look at every post; they need the assistance of members like you to draw their attention to problem areas.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
calculus said:
Actually, most times it does come down to what was reported. We don't read all posts in all threads, and so we rely upon the membership to report questionable posts. Sometimes we see nothing wrong with them, sometimes we edit or delete the posts, and/or sometimes we PM or ban members as a result.

It is rare for a non-newbie-spammer to get a permanent ban, especially with the first rule break, but it happens. It all comes down to (a) severity of the violation, (b) prior history of the member, and, to a degree, (c) how lenient the mod feels at the time.

Edit: or just see Cowboy's post above...

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
Is the advice any different if one believes that a moderator is posting inappropriately?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
calculus said:
Is the advice any different if one believes that a moderator is posting inappropriately?

You should report anything inappropriate, regardless of the person posting.

Applespider

macrumors G4
calculus said:
I don't want to go into specifics but I have seen threads where, in my understanding of 'the rules', almost every other poster should have been banned. I've also seen some personal insults go 'unpunished' - I guess it depends whether anyone complains or not. .

There may be cases where personal insults are edited out but the poster isn't banned - perhaps because it's a first offense, perhaps because it was pretty minor.

And it's always possible that what looks like an insult might be some jibing between members who know each other well rather than truly insulting
The Community forum is slightly more lax than the others in terms of the 'sense' of the posts in there.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
calculus said:
bousozoku is correct. We depend on reports for most moderation. If you need a personal reply about a complaint, send a Private Message to a specific moderator or administrator or e-mail directly to arn. Otherwise, the Report Bad Post
report.gif
feature is the way to let us know what's bugging you. Every single report is considered, and action is always taken when it is judged to be warranted.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
calculus said:
I know I've been reported before, although that particular report was the result of... other things. However, yes, by all means report any posts you feel are inappropriate.

For what it's worth, all mods/gods can see all post reports, so, if you would rather not alert someone that they've been reported, feel free, as Doctor Q mentioned, to PM/email a specific moderator.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
jsw said:
I know I've been reported before, although that particular report was the result of... other things. However, yes, by all means report any posts you feel are inappropriate.

For what it's worth, all mods/gods can see all post reports, so, if you would rather not alert someone that they've been reported, feel free, as Doctor Q mentioned, to PM/email a specific moderator.

As another little tidbit, if you've got something that needs to be looked at/taken care of quickly, you can go HERE:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showgroups.php

and see what 'macrumors Demi-God (moderator)' and 'macrumors God' s are online at the time. It's no use PM'ing a mod who won't get your message for another 12 hours :p

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
skoker said:
As another little tidbit, if you've got something that needs to be looked at/taken care of quickly, you can go HERE:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showgroups.php

and see what 'macrumors Demi-God (moderator)' and 'macrumors God' s are online at the time. It's no use PM'ing a mod who won't get your message for another 12 hours :p
I see some new Mods, when did this come about.

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
I don't see why Technicolor was banned. He/She was mostly arguing with me at the end, but I don't personally feel that he stepped over the mark into direct name-calling. I even admit that he/she had some valid viewpoints to bring to the discussion even if I mostly disagreed with him/her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.