Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samwise592

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
Long Island, NY
I'm in college, and I think the attitude towards iPhones stuck from when they cost $600.

People assume that I'm well off when they see me using my iPhone.

That's really untrue though, as the only reason I have one is because of my dad's business plan with ATT. Because of the extra cost of the plan, we are moved into a higher bracket of "agreement" and receive a larger discount, effectively costing us nothing for the iPhone. So when the numbers are crunched, a cheaper plan would cost us more.

It all depends on your circumstances.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
It all comes down to priorities and how people chose to spend their money. There are people out there who have iPhones and 2 year old sneakers that are falling apart or can't afford a car. There are also ultra-wealthy, ultra-stingy people who think an iPhone is a frivolous waste of money.

Myself, right now I can't afford both an iPhone and cable TV. So, I chose the iPhone and don't have cable.

Salukipilot4590

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Having an iPhone/AT&T plan might cost WAY less than that of a free phone/VZ or T-mobile plan based on who you call the most.

Given VZ has a 'my fav' kind of thing now...If my friends weren't on VZ while I was in school I would have bought an iPhone back then. Now it just doesn't make sense for me to have anything BUT an iPhone seeing as though I talk the the gf about 2 hours a day and am a technology junkie!

iWantiPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I consider my family very well off. I never brag about how much my parents may make or what things i have, i consider myself a humble person. The thing is though, i know i few kids who live in Northeast Philadelphia (lower middle class-average people) who got the iphone when it came out in 2007 and their parents paid $600.

Digitalflick

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2002
Your all well off if your using a computer and have internet service to post here :D

This message was sent using a pigeon.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
Anybody that is in high school or college that has expensive items isn't "well off." They're parent/guarding is well off and they are willing to splurge a little on their child to make them happy. You don't become well off until you have to fully support yourself and then you can afford to buy these luxury items yourself. The trick here if you're in high school or college is to not take advantage of having these items and realize that someday in the near future you may not be able to afford them until a few years out into the workforce.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I mean for us young people who are in college you know times are rough, living off ramen noodles and whatnot. But since you own a iphone do those around you consider you to be "paid"? or somewhat rich? I mean I have tons of friends who would kill for an iphone, but at the end of the day its an expensive gadget with an expensive billing plan

I'm a sophomore in college. I bought my iPhone 3G myself over summer, and paid for all the 'extra' things for the upcoming year until i start working again in summer. (meaning i had to pay the iphone data plan). I thankfully dont have to pay for the minutes, so i'm thankful to the parents. But our family is in no way rich.

Jmclark

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Windham, ME
Right now, I'm 13 and in middle school, so a little younger than your "HIGH SCHOOL/COLLEGE" goal. Oh well.

In my school, there are a lot of kids with iPod Touches (most have 2nd gen, but like 3 were stupid enough to buy them like a month before the 2nd gen came out). No kids with iPhones though. There was a guy who had one when they first came out, but he was a spoiled jerk, then he moved, and there was girl who got one for Christmas, but hers broke within the first like 2 weeks.

Probably nobody has iPhones because many people (including me) got their first cell phone in 2007 or early 2008, and with 2 year contracts, and I don't know of any parents who would've been willing to spend (or allow their kid to spend) $400-$500 on the iPhone as their first cell phone. A lot of kids have phones like the Storm, the Dare, the Voyager, and other touch-screen phones. (yeah, my school is mostly Verizon, I've been getting crap about leaving them). I've talked to a bunch of other kids about the iPhone, and many say either "it's a ripoff, just get the touch", or "it sucks". There are a few kids who plan on getting an iPhone when their contract ends, but I wouldn't expect many to get it.

End of the story, I don't think it would be considered "well off," considering all the other nice phones, with these huge plans. I think it will get some "oohs" and "ahhs" when I first get it, but like when I got my 3rd gen nano at launch, it will wear off. Honestly, pretty much even if you get a PS3, you won't even be considered "well off", instead people will just criticize you to get a Wii. :D

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
I consider it well off when I walk around with my first generation iPhone AND my iPhone 3g in my hands...hahahahhaa

(just kidding I don't do that, my other iPhone is in a box at home somewhere)

MrGadget28

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
I know a few teens in my school who have iPhones and Blackberries.

I looked at my friend's iPhone and he doesn't even have any apps installed and he's had the phone since July.

He just uses the phone for internet and thinks the apps are just a waste.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
Anybody that is in high school or college that has expensive items isn't "well off." They're parent/guarding is well off and they are willing to splurge a little on their child to make them happy. You don't become well off until you have to fully support yourself and then you can afford to buy these luxury items yourself. The trick here if you're in high school or college is to not take advantage of having these items and realize that someday in the near future you may not be able to afford them until a few years out into the workforce.

Agreed.

You are not well off, your parents are well off. If you don't pay for your own phone, college tuition, etc. than you can't even begin to say you are well off.

Wait till you graduate school, get a full time job, pay for the loans, pay for your apartment, etc. Than see if you can even fathom talking about being well off.

Words do not even describe the stupidity of this topic.

MrGadget28

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
Agreed.

You are not well off, your parents are well off. If you don't pay for your own phone, college tuition, etc. than you can't even begin to say you are well off.

Wait till you graduate school, get a full time job, pay for the loans, pay for your apartment, etc. Than see if you can even fathom talking about being well off.

Words do not even describe the stupidity of this topic.

This topic has served its purpose and should be tossed aside. Nobody is well off until they are successful and living on their own. Having an expensive product has nothing to do with being wealthy.

I use my Blackberry for just calls and texting. I wanted a nice phone to be with for two years and it definitely gets the job done.

DarthTreydor

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
when the iphone first came out at $600 it was a flashy status symbol. but these days when you get a refurb from att for $99 it's really not that big of a deal when i see one.

it's kinda like the way it was with the ipod. back in '02 it was like "WOW you have an iPOD??? COOL!" now everyone and their mother has one.

not that i'm into owning technology as a status symbol. the iphone is a great piece of equipment. what do i care whether people are impressed because of it?

lillybeth

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
i am in college and i have an iphone and my girlfriend has an iphone.. my college tution is 25,000 a year plus i have other bills and ****.. i am not well off

i do pay for both cell phone bills we are on a family plan with unlimited text and 750 min .. our bill is 160 a month

i make 250$ a week from work..

i live pay check to pay check ... but still need my iphone haha i make it happen capin

oh and i also had the original iphone when it came out.. . and i also broke my 3g and had to pay 400$ for my 8gb ..

MrGadget28

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
i am in college and i have an iphone and my girlfriend has an iphone.. my college tution is 25,000 a year plus i have other bills and ****.. i am not well off

i do pay for both cell phone bills we are on a family plan with unlimited text and 750 min .. our bill is 160 a month

i make 250$ a week from work..

i live pay check to pay check ... but still need my iphone haha i make it happen capin

oh and i also had the original iphone when it came out.. . and i also broke my 3g and had to pay 400$ for my 8gb ..

Wow...that's why I payed the ETF like a month after I got my iPhone because I knew if anything happened to it, that Apple nor AT&T would replace it and I'd have to get a new one.

Thank goodness for T-mobile's insurance.

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
most of my friend's have either a Blackberry or iPhone, we're all in high school. our parents are well off, not us (for the most part). some of my friends work a helluva lot of hours in the summer for our age, and i'm sure a couple of them pay their cell phone bills, but for the most part it's our parents who pay the bills luckily.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Someone asks me if that's an iPhone at least once a day, usually followed by "Damn, you're rich!" or something along those lines. It's kind of annoying. But it's calmed down a little this year, I was asked at least 20 times a day last year.

I'll admit that I did get it because it looked cool and I could afford it, but since 2.0 came out it's really become a useful device that's worth every penny.

And there's still plenty of people out there living in their little caves who think that they still cost $600 (or "like a 'thowwwwsand' dollars")

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I mean for us young people who are in college you know times are rough, living off ramen noodles and whatnot. But since you own a iphone do those around you consider you to be "paid"? or somewhat rich? I mean I have tons of friends who would kill for an iphone, but at the end of the day its an expensive gadget with an expensive billing plan

I saved bought my iPhone, and unlocked it to use with the basic plan me and my mom share. But my college (Savannah College of Art & Design) is really expensive, and there are tons of "well off/rich" kids. Almost 75% of people there have an iPhone. In a sense, its good, cause people can use it without others scuffing, and no one really cares since most are lenient and will let you play with it for a bit.

I plan on holding on to it for as long as I can, cause it hurt enough selling more things and my previous broken one for another, but I managed. My parents do pay for college, sorry, I can't do that on my own right now. But afterwords I'm helping with the loan, so I'm not "well off," my parents aren't "well off," but we manage with what we have, and as long as we make use of whats important (college, selling old stuff), we don't look at it as a waste of money. I still have money leftover and am currently using it for suppies and savings, and all my gadgets I have hare around 2+ years old (excluding the LCD HDTV & iPhone... both yes I bought myself by selling old junk).

No one here cares about the iPhone, graduating and finding a job is the main priority for me now.

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
The iPhone itself might not be expensive, but it comes attached to a $75+ phone plan... And THAT is expensive.

Not necessarily. I am in college, I have to pay for my schooling to the tune of $18,000 a year. I am on a family cell phone plan. There are 4 of us on it. It includes a ton of minutes, unlimited texting for the entire family and now $30/month for iPhone data (actually data for 2 iPhones, but that is irrelevant).

I pay $30 for the data + $30 for my share of minutes/part of the texting plan.

I truly believe that $60/month is very reasonable for what I have. I do not believe I am "rich" or even remotely "well off." I just work enough hours to pay my bills.

marold280

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
Of course they are well off !
I get 15 pounds a month from my parents and i have to pay for my own contract. which is 15 pounds a month.
some of my mates get 30, 40 pound contracts, just payed for them
and they are the iPhone people :)

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Nearly everyone at my college (by my armchair observations) has an iPhone.

I don't think they're a status symbol anymore. If we're going the route of the iPod, everyone is going to have an iPhone eventually anyway. Much like with camera phones, in a couple of years smartphones will be the only phones they sell, so people will probably just buy an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.