Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
This port is certainly not DVI, Mini DVI, or Micro DVI. It also seems like it is not wide enough to be HDMI and it doesn't look like it fits DisplayPort either! Does anyone know what this port is?

Upon further inspection, it seems like it is Mini DVI. Sorry :). However, I hope this picture is (or I am) wrong. People won't be too happy if they cannot power their 30" displays with their MBP.

It isn't mini-DVI, it's too small.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
How do we know the smaller machine is a MacBook and not a small MBP? What happened to the rumor about the MB being black plastic?

I'm so hoping they haven't scrapped firewire on either model.

As Arn pointed out it might be two-toned i.e. half plastic half alu. We'll have to wait for more leaks, lol.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
If the port assignment stays the same as current Macbooks will it not be as follows?

Ethernet
Mini-DVI
USB
USB
Firewire 800
Kensington

Thought I read somewhere that the notebooks were being bumped to FW800 as the connector is smaller?

The problem is they aren't staying which is pretty obvious from the pics, plus it goes (from back to front) Magsafe, ethernet, Mini-DVI, Firewire, USB, USB, audio in, audio out, kensington

Fishd

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2007
Why? What's the difference?

Well, for one I'd prefer a front loading slot drive... I move my cursor to the drive... click eject... then my mousing hand gets stabbed by a CD :p

I have to move my external mouse and coffee out of the way... whereas if it was front loading... I'd just need to suck in my belly :D

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Why? What's the difference?

when it's on the side, you have to move whatever is on your desk next to it to access the drive, when it's on the front, it is considerably more convenient.

What specifically aggravates me about this should it be true is that they are willing to compromise on details like this just for an extra .1" reduction in thickness. I sometimes think apple puts far too much emphasis on thinness at the expense of functionality.

MacGohil

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Auckland, NZ
The photos are deceptive. The MBP case is much bigger, but the photo is the same size as the MB. From the look of it, the trackpad is a bit bigger than the spacebar on both. So I think the trackpads are both the same and both large.

arn

Comparing the Trackpad size/placement against the Spacebar and Command keys the new MBP seems to have exact same size trackpads as the current MBP. So the new MBP will have the same size trackpads.

For those ruling out the possibility of a glass track pad already. Its always possible to implement the glass trackpad in any trackpad size as long as apple has decided to do so.... but my bet is we wont be seeing this any time soon. Like any other company out there.... we will see these new features trickle down one at a time.... Just so that Apple can sell new Macs to us every year.

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
More pictures from the site as requested:

Attachments

• 161603.jpg
    161603.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 953
  • 161637.jpg
    161637.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,083
  • 161859.jpg
    161859.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 793
  • 161918.jpg
    161918.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 938
  • 161714.jpg
    161714.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,047

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Both MB and MBP seem to have an additional hole near the front left hand side - like a microphone or headphone socket.

Also the MBP seems to have an extra USB port, taped over in the photo, next to the mystery hole near the front left.

Kensington security hole seems to be next to the CD slot on the other side. [edit: for the MBP]

Attachments

• 161714.jpg
    161714.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 334

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
Comparing the Trackpad size/placement against the Spacebar and Command keys the new MBP seems to have exact same size trackpads as the current MBP. So the new MBP will have the same size trackpads.

It looks the bigger depth wise.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Strange

The Video-Port definitely looks different on the smaller case. So maybe they are giving us the wrong clues. The big one is the MacBook and the small one ist the tiny and sexy MBP 13-inch. Now that'd be my wet Apple dream.

Look at the shot of the video port. I tried to draw it, but due to little caffeine and even less drawing skills on a trackpad, it looks shaky. But you get the idea.

The upper 'front' corner may be a compression artefact (don't know), but it looks different than any port I currently know. And it has the video label above.

Attachments

• macbook.jpg
    macbook.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 3,391

pik.

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Bologna/Corfu/Paris
I think the the bigger case is also for the bigger Macbook e not only the Pro...

there is no reason why not since the maggiority of the parts are the same...

13" Macbook in a world of 14-15 is way little....:p

manco

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2005
Here are most of the pics

Attachments

• 161546.jpg
    161546.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,011
  • 161603.jpg
    161603.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 555
  • 161714.jpg
    161714.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 708
  • adsız.JPG
    adsız.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,003
  • adsız2.JPG
    adsız2.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 465

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
To have it in the front is a pain in the neck if you have it on your lap or sit very close to it. Right side better.

your opinion, and thats only when your using it on your lap; I think you'll find the front is much much better for desktop usage. I don't know about you, but i'm much more likely to be at my desk when swapping discs in and out than using it on my lap.

ReEIsS

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
Norway!
The Video-Port definitely looks different on the smaller case. So maybe they are giving us the wrong clues. The big one is the MacBook and the small one ist the tiny and sexy MBP 13-inch. Now that'd be my wet Apple dream.

Look at the shot of the video port. I tried to draw it, but due to little caffeine and even less drawing skills on a trackpad, it looks shaky. But you get the idea.

The upper 'front' corner may be a compression artefact (don't know), but it looks different than any port I currently know. And it has the video label above.

Maybe it's a port for a bigger FireWire connection?

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
your opinion, and thats only when your using it on your lap; I think you'll find the front is much much better for desktop usage. I don't know about you, but i'm much more likely to be at my desk when swapping discs in and out than using it on my lap.

Yes, just my opinion obviously, I use a Pro with it on the front and an old macbook with the slot on the side. An for me the side is better. Regardless everybody will have different preferences. I guess is not a major point either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.