Hints at iPhone Copy and Paste in Firmware 2.1?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The new iPhone 2.1 Beta Firmware that was released to some iPhone developers yesterday has been found to have hints at an upcoming Copy and Paste feature. According to MacNN:
One notes that in exploring the Localizable.strings entry under English.lproj in the current iPhone WebKit framework, there are entries for several commands the firmware does not currently support, including cutting, copying and pasting.
Apple's Greg Joswiak recently said that a copy/paste feature has simply not been high enough on the priority list so far, but suggested that there it could be coming in the future. Previously one engineer had revealed that Apple had been working on iPhone copy/paste but that the exact implementation had not been decided.

Now with the introduction of 3rd party iPhone applications such as WordPress for iPhone, basic copy and paste functionality has become even more important.

Article Link

aosman

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Finally. As much as this feature is long overdue, people's whining was getting very annoying.

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
**** cut and paste. Low on the list of priorities? How about just getting this 2.0 software to some level of stability. 2.0, as it is, should never have been released into the wild. Apple is pushing too fast and dropping the ball more and more!

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
this will be really cool. before I had an iPhone I was of the idea that you didn't really need copy and paste on a mobile device because it's not meant to be a full-blown computer with all the bells and whistles- just enough to get you by when you're on the go. Then after having used it for a couple weeks now, I do admit that copy & paste would be incredibly useful in a lot of situations- even when posting on forums and wanting to quote multiple people, for example. Or give someone a URL in an email you want to quickly reply to, etc.

I'm not holding my breath, but it'll be sweet if this does come out in the next firmware release.. wonder how long it'll be until they get it out

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I doubt it. Even once it's released, there'll be whiners because it's not implemented exactly like they wanted it to be. :)
So true.

F**k cut and paste. Low on the list of priorities? How about just getting this 2.0 software to some level of stability. 2.0, as it is, should never have been released into the wild. Apple is pushing too fast and dropping the ball more and more!
Calm down.

Version 2.0 is working fine for some.

Part of the problem is 3rd party apps.

It will get better.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
I don't need copy and paste 99% of the time, but that missing 1% of the time is killer. Most of the time, I end up pulling out my pen and writing something (like a link) down, then re-typing the whole thing on the iPhone... a laborious process to say the least (when there are numbers, letters and signs). I still avoid doing most blogging or such things when I'm on my iPhone.

MisterK

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Awesome... But...

I'm a little worried about the implementation. Yes.. I've seen that video on Youtube where someone fakes a copy/paste on an iPhone, but I'm not convinced that's the best implementation on a touch screen. I'm really not sure how Apple will implement it and I think it's a harder thing to take back and show people a new way later. However they do this, it will have to be elegant.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
1) Are there no such localization strings in previous versions of mobile Safari?

2) If the localization strings are only in mobile Safari, not in other apps, then cut/copy/paste won't carry over apps in the iPhone.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
I'm a little worried about the implementation. Yes.. I've seen that video on Youtube where someone fakes a copy/paste on an iPhone, but I'm not convinced that's the best implementation on a touch screen. I'm really not sure how Apple will implement it and I think it's a harder thing to take back and show people a new way later. However they do this, it will have to be elegant.
The best method I can figure is by holding down the Home button and tapping the screen at the start point and then at the end point. At which time a message appears asking you if you want to cut or copy the text.

Pasting would be performed by holding down the Home button and then double-tapping at the correct location. This does limit it to text only, and not to images, but I think Apple should take baby steps with this as there is no easy solution that is going to be as user-friendly as using a physical keyboard and mouse.

I think there needs to be a robust Clipboard for the iPhone that you can access like the Notes app. Meaning, a clipboard that holds multiple data sets in memory and one that can be manually edited for future use and quick access pasting.

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
Part of the problem is 3rd party apps.
Doubt that, 90% of the problems I've had are all on Apple's part... Lagging default apps, maps loading extremely sluggishly, needing to restart the device couple of times a day because it starts crawling while doing anything. Scrolling lists is extremely jerky/laggy... the list goes on and has nothing to do w/ 3rd party apps. If anything the apps worked perfectly fine for me for the most part...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.