Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the Worldwide Developers Conference, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said that he expected the new iOS 16 operating system to support a future always-on display feature for the iPhone 14 Pro, and as it turns out, the iOS 16 code suggests the always-on display is indeed going to be implemented.

iOS-14-Always-on-Display-Feature.jpg

There are multiple references to an always-on display in iOS 16, as highlighted by 9to5Mac. There are a trio of new frameworks related to backlight management, a necessary part of an always-on display function. The frameworks mention an always-on display and are used by the Lock Screen and Springboard, suggesting that these mentions are not related to the existing Apple Watch always-on display.

The site says that there are also hidden flags within iOS 16 that allow Apple engineers to use the always-on display capability for testing purposes.

An always-on display has been rumored since always-on technology came to the Apple Watch, and it is a highly desired feature. It would let users see the time and other key iPhone information without needing to activate the screen.

The ProMotion displays planned for the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max are rumored to be capable of dropping to as low as 1Hz (down from 10Hz) to enable the always-on functionality without deeply impacting battery life.

Always-on display technology is likely going to be limited to the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max because the standard iPhone 14 models are not expected to get the ProMotion displays necessary for the feature to work.

Article Link: Hints of iPhone 14 Pro Always-On Display Found in iOS 16 Code

mashdots

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2015
seattle-ish
In the past code hinting at features has shown up before. Does this mean it's all but confirmed for the next iphone?

I'm glad. It has finally made its way. Always on Display for life. Won’t have to worry about missing a notification now. I just hope it does not kill the battery life.

Personally, I think they should add this feature on iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max too. But I get it... Apple wants you to upgrade and get a new iPhone this year.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It became clear once the new Lock Screen was unveiled. The customizable date, time and widgets are designed in line art, the more energy efficient type of drawing.

It's possible that notifications and Live Events will contain a line art version in the API so that developers can display sports scores at the bottom of the screen and update them as the event progresses or Uber can show an always on version of their Live Events widget, with the car status and license plate.

The lit up items will most likely be dimmer than the lead image of this article shows. It's probably going to look more like this:
iOS-14-Always-on-Display-Feature.png

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Give me my 14PM, please. Lol. Sad part is, I don’t have a good reason to upgrade.

Reactions: desslr

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
“My battery life gets killed using AOD” (mac rumors iphone forum 2023)
This is a feature that has been on Android phones for years. The most common battery drain from it is under 1% per hour when using the AOD, so I can imagine Apple will probably get even more aggressive with their implementation so that it takes even less than that.

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
I think the picture of this article is misleading. The always on display will be much darker, basically the same we see on the Apple Watch. but the technology is far away from brand new - since 2017 Samsung uses aod, Google Pixel 2 and many more.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
This is not a must have me, as others have said, my Apple Watch takes care of most at a glance needs. But I will admit for things like calling an Uber and determining how far away it is without unlocking is nice.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
AOD will be kinda cool for live widgets that provide updates.

instead of a black brick at the bar on table top, its a brick with cut out tickers and such. nice.

assuming they dont make it only for when its charging (that would be a bummer)

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
“highly desirable feature”? What is the advantage of it if the screen is not facing you like in your pocket? A simple tap on the screen or lifting the phone activating the screen is enough. Rather save battery than have it consume battery how little it may be or have burn-in gate.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Meh…one of the features I do not need is the AOD on an iPhone. Even if this feature is available, mine will be turned off 100%. I don’t need this feature and i have my Apple watch for what it needs to do to tell time. my phone stays in my pocket most of the time.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Mackie924

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
“highly desirable feature”? What is the advantage of it if the screen is not facing you like in your pocket? A simple tap on the screen or lifting the phone activating the screen is enough. Rather save battery than have it consume battery how little it may be or have burn-in gate.
The whole point is that you don't have to tap, lift or wake up the screen in order to see notifications. Samsung has had this for years and it hardly has an impact on the battery. Why are people acting as if this is brand new? It works wonderfully on Android devices, and yes, is highly desired by me.

Shreducator

Cancelled
Oct 17, 2020
I won’t use this feature even with the new lock screens. I only use tap to wake with black backgrounds for battery life savings with OLEDs now.

Reactions: -BigMac-
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.