Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artaban

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2022
NL, Canada
HKSV Streaming Over Cellular

Hi Everybody,

My issue: HomeKit cameras at ONE of my homes will not stream over cellular data. This issue occurs within the Apple Home App ONLY, and NOT within the native brand name apps (Aqara, Eufy). Recordings work normally, and are able to be viewed over cellular data within the Apple Home App. This issue is new, and I have never had it before at any of my homes.

Background and Setup: On the day when iOS 16 dropped I updated all of the devices in all of my Homekit homes. I am running 3 homes at 3 different physical locations with a mixture of accessories at each home (Lighting, Cameras, Sensors, Door Openers, and Hubs for accessories like Aqara, Lutron, Eufy, and Phillips).

Home A - 1 Apple TV, 2 Homepod Mini's - Mixture of Aqara and Eufy Cameras (with 2 Eufy Homebase 2's) - ISP is Xplore (formerly Xplorenet) LTE 50/10 mbps - Netgear R7000 Router

Home B - 1 Apple TV, 2 Homepod Mini's - Only Aqara cameras - ISP is Bell Aliant gigabit Fibre - Bell Home Hub 3000 modem/router combo

Home C - 1 Homepod Mini - Only one camera (an Aqara G3H Hub) - ISP is Bell Aliant Business Fibre - Unsure of router at this time.

On the same day as the iOS 16 drop, or within a day or two after, I added an additional Eufy Homebase 2 as well as an additional 4 Eufycam 2 C Pro's to Home A.

It was at this time when I first noticed that Home A’s cameras would only display the live stream for all cameras in that home while connected to the same WiFi network as the home. When WiFi is turned off on the device I am trying to stream from, and I am relying on cellular data, Home A’s cameras do still update all thumbnails (near instantaneously); however, they never load the live stream – the loading icon just keeps spinning and never displays the usual “no response from accessory” message. Both of the other Homekit homes are able to stream their cameras over cellular data.

Things I’ve tried/tested: I have tried and tested numerous things to determine/rectify the issue or to produce a workaround for the cellular streaming issue coming out of Home A.

First, I would note that I am not using a VPN on any device, including the router itself (Netgear R7000). I did call Xplore (the ISP for the affected home) to ask if they had made any changes to the way they were routing traffic and they replied that they had not.

I tried Power cycling everything – ISP’s receiver device on the roof, Negear router, as well as all smart devices in the home.

I removed ALL cameras from the affected home, and tried to re-add them one by one (without completely resetting them). Note that the Eufy cameras must be connected to their Eufy Homebase 2 before they can be added into Apple Homekit.

I tried resetting each camera and adding them one by one.

I tried a different router.

I tried resetting a Homepod and cameras, created a new Home within Homekit. Added only those devices. I also repeated this and used a different brand of camera.

I have tried streaming from other devices on cellular data and this also produces the same symptom.

I’ve contacted Apple, and though they tried to be helpful, they did not have a solution for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.