Holy cow my 6S Plus' battery is horrendous !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by d0hv, Jan 14, 2016.

1. d0hv macrumors regular

d0hv

I got a new 6S Plus because I cracked my other one, so I sold it and bought a brand new one. My old one was the TSMC chip or whatever it was called and the battery was amazing on that thing. Now my new one is the Samsung chip and wow the difference is night and day the battery is utter crap. After 2 hrs and 36 min of use I'm at %68 while my TSMC would normally be in high 70's-low 80's right now. I thought the difference was only supposed to be minimal but this is terrible and unacceptable on Apple. I'll definitely have to upgrade to a 7 Plus later this year when it releases, I can't take this. It's like I'm using a normal 6S and not a Plus. Samsung sucks and hopefully Apple doesn't use them next time around. Anyone else had experience with both chips like I have ?

2. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Shouldn't you go back with this one? It actually doesn't sound okay.

3. d0hv thread starter macrumors regular

d0hv

There's really nothing you can do about it, not like you can see what chip you have before you buy it. It would be to much of a hassle and waste of time to keep sending it back to Apple hoping for a TSMC version. I'll just have to stick with this for 9 more months.

4. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

Are you sure you aren't exaggerating this? Do you have any data to back this up?

I mean, Apple has been using Samsung chips for years and they will continue to use Samsung chips. They may even start using OLED screens from Samsung. Its outrageous that a company like Apple could have let this happen.

5. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

Here we go again. TSMC vs Samsung in 3,2,1.... Gentlemen, start your engines...... ;-)

On a serious note, Apple have really outdone themselves in using Samsung chips which have led to so much controversy, some of which, like the OP above is probably genuine

6. d0hv thread starter macrumors regular

d0hv

Give me a second I'll post a screenshot.

7. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

OP didn't know about or probably care about this 'Chipgate' so his experience is just that of a regular unbiased user who noticed something wrong and THEN decided to investigate i.e. he didn't benchmark his iphone, read up about TSMC and then start analysing his iphone BEFORE any issues cropped up.

8. d0hv thread starter macrumors regular

d0hv

IMG_0113.PNG IMG_0113.PNG IMG_0113.PNG IMG_0113.PNG IMG_0113.PNG IMG_0113.PNG

9. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

10. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Sounds about like my 6S (non plus). It's also a Samsung chip. But I came from a 6+ that went two days if you wanted to one that dies around 8:00 in the evening. Granted I can find a charger by then, but still. My roommates Samsung based 6S+ is better than my 6S (duh) but it's still nearly dead at the end of the day where the 6 Plus would be around 50-60% and not 10%. Same apps, same usage. I'm a hopeful for the iPhone 7 too, but for now I'll just find an outlet when I can. And bring a portable charger when I'm on extended trips or in a remote location. Though I usually have my truck in that instance. But not out camping and such, that's when it's a little more important than a normal work day.

There's a bigger problem than the chip though, and it's bigger than Apple too.

It's the battery itself. While tech has been changing rapidly, the standard lithium ion battery tech hasn't really changed all that much in comparison to everything else.

A good quick read here:
    Mossberg: Battery tech isn’t keeping up

11. the caveman macrumors 6502

12. Axelbecerra macrumors newbie

13. d0hv thread starter macrumors regular

d0hv

Your apps are barely even being used though.

14. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Bottom of the list is always like that if you have a lot of apps. The top will be the battery consumers.

15. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

If you could please show the screen on time. You are around the 24 hour mark so it should be a pretty good estimate then if you choose the option of Last 24 hours.

16. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

I have the TSMC chip in my 6S+.

Battery life is pretty great. So I'll just keep on assuming mine is superior hehe.

17. garycoleman2 macrumors member

The TSMC battery life is superior to Samsung. A lot of of Samsung chipped owners can't face that fact and keep lying to themselves there is no difference.

18. tl01 macrumors 65816

I have the same issue...just got mine replaced via warranty though so I can't return it...but in a heavy usage day I can go through two full charges in the phone. Makes no sense. My first one.. The TSMC chip was so much better battery wise. The Samsung is like night and day worse.

19. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I have a 6S plus and my battery life is great. Sammy too.

Something is wrong with yours. Definitely not chip related.

20. lchlch macrumors 6502a

There's a problem with this theory.

OP mentioned that he sold the old one before getting the new 6s +.

How would he/she have known that the old phone is TSMC, if he was not aware of chipgate.

21. HEK, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Let the phone charge and drain for at least a week. Many people have reported improved battery life after phone settles down with all the background updates it seems to do when first started. Don't automatically jump on this chip difference. The difference hasn't been so great as reported by majority of people.

Also, note the low reception/connection strength of both the wifi and cellular radios on OP's battery screen shot. With background things happening, I bet those radios are really ramped up to boost signals.

22. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

What I meant was that OP probably found out that his old phone was TSMC but due to lack of any battery issues, he probably let that slip his mind. Now that his new phone is eating up battery (according to him), he has found that this one is a Samsung i.e. not TSMC so this could be a probable reason for the difference.

Quite a different stance from some people who after opening the box, investigate their chip and then :
    1.) "I have a Samsung so battery life must be awful."
    2.) "I have a TSMC so battery life must be excellent."
    3.) "I will just use the phone normally, as is and observe battery life." (My preferred choice!)

Cheers !

23. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

I have the TSMC 6S Plus and the battery life was the best the first few days. Once I started installing more apps, it went down a bit but still splendid.
    I feel bad plugging in after 16-17 hours with 65-70% battery still left with about 4+ hours of usage.
    IOS 9.3 seems to be draining more battery though. But it is a beta so I'm not too concerned.

24. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Hard to compare battery life between each other. We all use the phone differently, including screen brightness. A big factor.

I have a TSMC, it is not as good as my 6+ and gets about the same as OP. But, my screen stays around 80% brightness.

The 6+ would lose about 10% per hour. Sometimes a little better. So, the Plus is not too much worse. Due to smaller battery. It does last me all day though.

25. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers!