HomePod Launching in China and Hong Kong on January 18

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 13, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced that its HomePod speaker launches in China and Hong Kong on Friday, January 18. It will be available for 2,799 yuan in China and HK$2,799 in Hong Kong from Apple.com, Apple Stores, and authorized resellers.

[​IMG]

Apple had previously announced that the HomePod would launch in China and Hong Kong in early 2019 and now we know it will be later this week. Siri on the HomePod gained support for Cantonese and Mandarin in China and a Cantonese dialect in Hong Kong in a software update last month.

Apple's press release highlights how the HomePod can stream Apple Music genres such as Mandopop and Cantopop and other audio content from any AirPlay-supported apps, including QQ Music, DeDao, iHuman Story, Dragonfly FM, and Penguin FM in China, and Spotify, KKBOX, JOOX, and Podcast in Hong Kong.

Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller:
    HomePod first launched in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia in February 2018, followed by Canada, France, and Germany in June 2018. And in October 2018, Apple made the speaker available in Spain and Mexico.

Article Link: HomePod Launching in China and Hong Kong on January 18

2. calzon65, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019

calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

Dumping HomePods on the Chinese because Americans don't want it .. nice

3. cashville2400 macrumors regular

cashville2400

Hopefully, it does better than the iPhone has been doing.

4. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

5. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

They’ll be stunned at just how far Apple has come .... “That’s .....IT? A Bluetooth Speaker?” Ah yes. But a Bluetooth Speaker with an Apple logo AND double the price. Hello? Hello? Where they gone? :eek:

6. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Bluetooth? It doesn’t even offer that feature. At the price they ask for it you’d think it would have a Bluetooth input option, but nope... nothing.

8. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

9. richmondhill, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019

richmondhill macrumors newbie

All four people in China who want one already brought it somewhere else a year ago. Another four already bought the knock-off two years ago.

10. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

11. ARB4 macrumors newbie

ARB4

12. kruegdude macrumors 6502

Excellent news! The expansion of the HomePod and Apple Music benefits the ecosystem which benefits the ecosystem user base.

13. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

The lack of Bluetooth and the fact that China is the type of government that can/would shut down Apple Music on a whim means this thing could become a brick at a moments notice.

14. SeaFox macrumors 68030

SeaFox

Don't be silly. I'm sure the launch of this product in China automatically requires the government get a backdoor into it. It's exactly the type of always-on surveillance device they would want to force on everyone, if they could without attracting negative international attention.

15. OlliFlamme macrumors regular

OlliFlamme

At Apple they get excited in every sentence that starts a press release, a keynote, a section of a keynote, whenever a guest at a keynote is presented, whenever numbers are named, ...

it should be the company’s tagline:
    “Apple, it’s just exciting!”

It used to be “it just works”, but why make the effort still to hold on to that idea, uh?

16. BSben macrumors 65816

Are you suggesting that USA citizens are in any way superior to Chinese citizens?

17. kruegdude macrumors 6502

Me too. I hesitated because of the rumors of a smaller satellite version. That won’t last long, lol.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2019 ---
    Um, this is about a product expansion, not a keynote.

18. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

You do know that this connects via WiFi right?

19. theSpringZone macrumors member

theSpringZone

This seems to be selling about as well as the iPod Hi-Fi did.

20. now i see it macrumors 68030

In a Surveillance State, using a internet connected listening device doesn't seem all that attractive

21. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

If you leaped any further you’d be off the cliff.

22. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Does Siri on these support a mix of languages? When I use Siri on my iPhone, which has Siri set to norwegian and I tell her to play an american song title, where everything I say is in norwegian but the title, she never gets the song right.

I imagine thats gonna be a problem with these speakers as well

23. OlliFlamme macrumors regular

OlliFlamme

[/doublepost]
    Um, this is about a product expansion, not a keynote.[/QUOTE] As I perceive it, Schiller must have expressed himself in a press release that mentions a launch of an existing product in a new existing market. He considers that to be exciting stuff, just as he does express in every keynote.

I’m sorry you weren’t that excited with my statement, not everybody can be excited about such trivial mumbo jumbo ;)

24. Roy macrumors 6502

Roy

About 1/3 of the American citizenry believe they are superior to any person not an American citizen.

25. OlliFlamme macrumors regular

OlliFlamme

Hahaaha... i get you. Try to find American movie titles, songs, etc...
    Same same here. What to do?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2019 ---
    Replace ‘American’ in your statement by any other nationality, and it still works.
    It’s part of the human condition, you got to know that.