Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's HomePod mini will be three years old in October, raising questions around what the company has in store for its low-cost smart speaker in the future. Here's everything we know so far based on rumors and Apple's other releases.

HomePod-Mini-2-Feature.jpg

The HomePod mini was announced in October 2020 at Apple's iPhone 12 event. Less than half a year later, Apple discontinued the original HomePod, leaving the HomePod mini as the company's only smart speaker until earlier this year when Apple relaunched the full-size HomePod form factor.

The newly reintroduced HomePod offers a large number of features that were previously exclusive to the HomePod mini, including an Apple Watch S-series chip, a U1 ultra wideband chip, Thread support, a temperature and humidity sensor, and a larger backlit touch surface that illuminates from edge to edge.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman was first to highlight Apple's work on a second-generation HomePod mini in August 2022. Gurman has since expressed skepticism about what a new HomePod mini could offer since "the latest HomePod doesn't include any major new functions that aren't already in the $99 mini."

In February, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that Apple will begin mass shipments of the second-generation HomePod mini in the second half of 2024.

A second-generation HomePod mini could conceivably introduce a lower-latency Handoff experience, improved sound and microphones, and the S7, S8, S9, or S10 chip. Many Siri requests are processed locally, meaning that responsiveness could benefit from an improved chip. A new HomePod mini could also see specification upgrades, such as Wi-Fi 6E support.

The HomePod mini currently contains the S5 chip from the Apple Watch Series 5 and first-generation Apple Watch SE. Late 2024 will likely see the introduction of the Apple Watch Series 10 and the S10 chip, so that's the most advanced chip Apple could feasibly give the device.

The 2023 HomePod contains the S7 chip, the same chip used in 2021's Apple Watch Series 7. Despite the introduction of the S8 chip in late 2022 in the Apple Watch Series 8, Apple Watch Ultra, and second-generation Apple Watch SE, Apple elected to use the S7 chip. This suggests it isn't certain that Apple will use its latest S-series chip in the second-generation HomePod mini.

The S6, S7, and S8 chips are all fundamentally the same and based on the A13 Bionic chip. The S9 chip, on the other hand, is expected to be based on the A15 Bionic chip, leading to major performance and efficiency improvements. The S6, S7, or S8 chip would be a notable upgrade for the HomePod mini, but the S9 or S10 chip could offer even more substantial enhancements.

It also seems highly likely that a new HomePod mini will come in a refreshed selection of color options. The current device is available in Space Gray, Blue, Yellow, White, and Orange. With the reintroduced full-size HomePod, Apple swapped Space Gray for Midnight, so a similar switch seems likely for the HomePod mini at a minimum.

It is also possible that Apple could wait to introduce a new HomePod mini until the debut of a third-generation full-size HomePod, especially if it includes new features. Apple is developing an updated version of the HomePod that will feature a 7-inch display, according to Ming-Chi Kuo. The HomePod with a 7-inch display is expected to come out next year at the earliest.

Article Link: HomePod Mini 2: Everything We Know So Far

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
I suspect that whatever Sx chip is in whatever SE Watch is shipping a the time of release will be the Sx chip used.

But, it's Apple, so who knows?

G46&Fbnth5

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2021
I have 3 wishes :
1. Remove the delay/lag when we use them on the Mac.
2. Let us use them as a microphone on the Mac.
3. Rewrite Siri.
The current model could potentially make all your wishes true (for 1. and 2. Apple just needs to allow HomePods to work as Bluetooth speakers and microphones).

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Same with me. I disabled Siri day one on my OG HomePods and haven’t looked back. I always wanted/envisioned them to be “dumb” anyway.
I disabled "Hey Siri" but I still press the top button to use a few commands I know will work:

"Add eggs to the grocery list"
"Play WNYC FM radio"
"set a timer for fifteen minutes"
"turn off the living room light"
"what's the temperature outside"

But I keep it pretty tight and rarely try anything new, because it will just leave me yelling if I try to get too clever.

People judge the full-sized HomePod pretty harshly based on how bad Siri is, but if you *just* look at it as an AirPlay device, it's a great speaker. I recently invested in a second one and it was a massive improvement over just one, especially for watching TV/movies.

Last edited:

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
It'd be nice if Apple would allow more customization of pairing/grouping of HomePod units? Allow customers to build groups of 4-6, 10*.. 2 HomePods, 2 minis, 2 mini v2s, around a family room... set up 2 Mini 1s above people as dedicated Atmos use speakers when used with an AppleTV? Just let users be more creative in general with the pairings/groupings?

You would think that that would help build interest in the HomePod product line in general, and encourage more repeat purchases?

But with the HomePod looking more like a hobby than even the AppleTV (hardware).. I doubt we'll ever get that level of interest from Apple in doing that...

But, I can picture the perfect Apple ad for a more thought out, fully deployed AppleTV/HomePod/Apple Home experience? But I doubt that they could get Christopher Walken and Fatboy Slim to agree to it...

Oh well.

*No, I'm not saying that anyone would ever buy ten HomePods.. But, wouldn't it be great if you and a bunch of friends could build a group of all of your devices for a movie night, game day, race day... at one of your homes? Just keep adding them to a group named "Movie Night" as friends/family arrive.. Even have sub-groups all fed from an AppleTV.. Living room and kitchen.. all part of the "Movie Night" group, but audio optimized for each room/number of other HomePods nearby...

Last edited:

jakeowens

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Let us stereo pair a set of homepods with a set of minis for a true surround sound listening experience!
yesss... We should actually be able to put as many homepod minis in our living room as we want (let's say 10) and have them all over the place with different heights and they should be able to figure our where all of them are in space and then appropriately play dolby atmos!

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
i own homepods and homepod minis. i like, that i can disable the mics for siri. they are nice sounding in our kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. some automation in the evening and morning with homekit. no need for siri or any other assistant.
good products

Macropanda

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
These devices are absolute trash. I have two and it’s just easier to use a Bluetooth speaker or even Bluetooth connection to an Echo.

Try watching a YouTube video and then Airplaying the audio to a HomePod mini and it just stops the video. Have to quit the video and re play it to make it work.

50% chance of it playing a song I own from iTunes. Speaks waaaay too loudly at night. Can’t even play audiobooks purchased directly from Apple.

This doesn’t need a hardware refresh. It needs a software overhaul.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia

Apple's HomePod mini will be three years old in October, raising questions around what the company has in store for its low-cost smart speaker in the future. Here's everything we know so far based on rumors and Apple's other releases.

HomePod-Mini-2-Feature.jpg

The HomePod mini was announced in October 2020 at Apple's iPhone 12 event. Less than half a year later, Apple discontinued the original HomePod, leaving the HomePod mini as the company's only smart speaker until earlier this year when Apple relaunched the full-size HomePod form factor.

The newly reintroduced HomePod offers a large number of features that were previously exclusive to the HomePod mini, including an Apple Watch S-series chip, a U1 ultra wideband chip, Thread support, a temperature and humidity sensor, and a larger backlit touch surface that illuminates from edge to edge.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman was first to highlight Apple's work on a second-generation HomePod mini in August 2022. Gurman has since expressed skepticism about what a new HomePod mini could offer since "the latest HomePod doesn't include any major new functions that aren't already in the $99 mini."

In February, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that Apple will begin mass shipments of the second-generation HomePod mini in the second half of 2024.

A second-generation HomePod mini could conceivably introduce a lower-latency Handoff experience, improved sound and microphones, and the S7, S8, S9, or S10 chip. Many Siri requests are processed locally, meaning that responsiveness could benefit from an improved chip. A new HomePod mini could also see specification upgrades, such as Wi-Fi 6E support.

The HomePod mini currently contains the S5 chip from the Apple Watch Series 5 and first-generation Apple Watch SE. Late 2024 will likely see the introduction of the Apple Watch Series 10 and the S10 chip, so that's the most advanced chip Apple could feasibly give the device.

The 2023 HomePod contains the S7 chip, the same chip used in 2021's Apple Watch Series 7. Despite the introduction of the S8 chip in late 2022 in the Apple Watch Series 8, Apple Watch Ultra, and second-generation Apple Watch SE, Apple elected to use the S7 chip. This suggests it isn't certain that Apple will use its latest S-series chip in the second-generation HomePod mini.

The S6, S7, and S8 chips are all fundamentally the same and based on the A13 Bionic chip. The S9 chip, on the other hand, is expected to be based on the A15 Bionic chip, leading to major performance and efficiency improvements. The S6, S7, or S8 chip would be a notable upgrade for the HomePod mini, but the S9 or S10 chip could offer even more substantial enhancements.

It also seems highly likely that a new HomePod mini will come in a refreshed selection of color options. The current device is available in Space Gray, Blue, Yellow, White, and Orange. With the reintroduced full-size HomePod, Apple swapped Space Gray for Midnight, so a similar switch seems likely for the HomePod mini at a minimum.

It is also possible that Apple could wait to introduce a new HomePod mini until the debut of a third-generation full-size HomePod, especially if it includes new features. Apple is developing an updated version of the HomePod that will feature a 7-inch display, according to Ming-Chi Kuo. The HomePod with a 7-inch display is expected to come out next year at the earliest.

Article Link: HomePod Mini 2: Everything We Know So Far
I’d really like a HomePod mini with a battery to replace my Sony portable speaker.

Reactions: eifelbube and Huck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.