Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today is the HomePod mini's official launch day, and as customers who pre-ordered await their devices, Apple has also started in-store sales. Customers who weren't able to pre-order can place an order on Apple's website or in the Apple Store app and arrange for in-store pickup at a local retail location.

homepodminicolors.jpg

A quick spot check suggests that most stores around the United States have available stock for customers, and in-store pickup may be one of the only ways to get a HomePod mini ahead of the holidays if you're looking for a specific color.

Orders placed today for shipping to the home won't arrive until at least December. For the white HomePod mini, orders will come between December 2 and December 10, and for the black HomePod mini, orders won't arrive until December 16 to December 24.

The HomePod mini, priced at $99, is Apple's new, smaller and more affordable version of the HomePod. Reviews and first impressions from customers have been largely positive, and most people have praised the sound quality and the small size.

Article Link: HomePod Mini Now Available for In-Store Pickup

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I hate how theres no internal battery. Stuff like this is why i hate apple sometimes. Woulda been an automatic buy if it was portable
It is portable if you carry an external power bank. If Apple were to build that in, the device would be larger, heavier, and more expensive for everyone. Perhaps a future version can have a battery built in.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Just ordered and picked one up to try, very smooth process. I'm not in a huge city (only one apple store), but the guy said I was the first HP mini pickup of the day which surprised me since I didn't get there until 12:30. Sounds pretty good so far, very clear and definitely more defined than the echo, but with less bass and volume. If they hit a sale price of $75 or something, I'd buy them in bunches.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I hate how theres no internal battery. Stuff like this is why i hate apple sometimes. Woulda been an automatic buy if it was portable
Apple designed these HomePods as smart speakers each linked to a specific room in your house. They want you to buy one for each room separately :) Also, they're probably too fragile to take outside: there are more robust alternatives for that.

I'm more disappointed by the limited geographical rollout. Why they don't ship these around the world is hard to understand. It's been 2,5 years since the first HomePod and they're still only supported in a handful of countries and languages. While they have Siri in many more languages. The fact that they planned to add a second speaker gave them all the time they needed.

I have my HomePod set to English, while my iOS devices have Dutch Siri. Very confusing. And no more support for "personal requests". Switching everything over to English has other issues, including no more reading out loud messages and local driving directions as English Siri butchers those.

Avalanche66

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
If there was a battery inside it would no longer be in the HomePod category. It would be a GoPod or something.
I dont agree with that. This could be in my office, then i can take it upstairs, or the basement, or the restroom while i shave or brush my teeth or whatever.

it should have had an internal battery.
Dont market it as in taking it to the pool, or a BBQ(even if u can)

we know the next pod will have an internal battery...thats whats frustrating, it isnt new tech, but will be marketed as it is.

Ahmamies

Cancelled
Oct 13, 2020
No original HomePod and now no HomePod Mini for my country. Apple sells everything else here, but not this category. Tim Apple, is it the Siri? The Siri that can be used in Finnish on the iPhone and iPad, but not on the Apple TV. Tim, I use Siri in English anyway, so please, can we get some HomePods?

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
I don’t know. Personally I welcome that it doesn’t. So that I don’t have to worry about the battery deteriorating over time and not holding a good charge 4-5 years down the road. This way, as long as there’s power it’ll perform just as well as the day I got it.

SDArch

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Ordered online last week with a 15-22 Dec. delivery. Cancelled and reordered for in-store pick up tomorrow afternoon.
Love the $89 price for Vets and Gov.
I have no issue of no internal battery. My battery bank takes care of that...should I ever want to take it outside...which will likely be never.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
Picked up a pair for use as speakers for a bedroom TV set with Apple TV as the only source. Quite impressed with the sound so far. Obviously not the same as the HomePod but a surprisingly decent low-frequency output. Easily better than the TV speakers and cheaper than a sound bar.

I can see future purchases for smaller rooms.

Reactions: 3Gmatt and Stevez67

solace

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
Which smart speakers have a battery?

Very few. Especially ones of quality.

JBL Link 10/20/Portable (Google)
UE Blast/Megablast (Alexa)

and a ton of crappy brand ones

Amazon had their 'Tap' at one point, but you had to push the button on top for it to "listen", which wasn't exactly ideal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.