Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dawsze

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
Kraków, Poland
wow they must have really not allocated many for your launch. sometimes i wonder why they have release dates for which they can't supply the product.

Also HomePod is only available in few countries across Europe. So if you're not living in Germany, Spain, UK or France and want to buy HomePod you're going to German Apple Store :) Basically half of Europe is buying HomePods in German Apple Store.

creediddy

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I got mine last Friday. Returned on Saturday. Sounds quality was very good, however, connectivity makes this a very limited speaker and including HomePod.

The HomeKit App slash notification Music App is way too cumbersome just to stream music. I much prefer Amazon Echo/Show, etc...Way better flexibility and better yet a screen to see everything. So I order an Echo Show 8 to go along with a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 for my computer speakers.

These two I will get for $120. This will blow away a HomePod Mini as it has no flexibility to connect to a computer. I believe the only way you can stream through your computer is through AirParrot as its AirPlay 2 capable. Again way to cumbersome just to plug and play. I love AirPlay, but just to stream music on a computer is way to complicated. Come on Apple!!!

Last edited:

dawsze

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
Kraków, Poland
I must say that I'm very satisfied with my HomePod Mini. Today I ordered a second one. If you're a AM user it's no brainer. HomeKit is getting better, it has battery privacy policies than Amazon and Google and with Homebridge I'm even able to control my Roborock vacuum cleaner and VPN via Homekit.

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
Let’s be honest with ourselves folks. Home pod is not a solid alternative to sonos in terms of overall features and benefits and it’s a far cry from a virtual assistant. I have echo devices, sonos and the home pod. It’s a handcuffed device IMO. If you don’t use Spotify, you can’t afford a sonos system and buy the large home pod on sale at $199, It’s a barely palatable option.

zinned

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Let’s be honest with ourselves folks. Home pod is not a solid alternative to sonos in terms of overall features and benefits and it’s a far cry from a virtual assistant. I have echo devices, sonos and the home pod. It’s a handcuffed device IMO. If you don’t use Spotify, you can’t afford a sonos system and buy the large home pod on sale at $199, It’s a barely palatable option.

Can I use Siri and access my data from a Sonos product?

Can I buy a Sonos product for the same amount of money as a HomePod Mini?

Can I control my HomeKit devices with a Sonos speaker and also use it as a Home hub?

Reactions: FightTheFuture

SRQrws

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2020
I have four HomePods and am pleased with them. I had a Bose Revolve in ....um, if you must know... the master bath (what can I say, I like music when i shower). The Bose filled the room nicely, but was too bass-heavy, so I thought I'd give the HomePod Mini a shot. Given that the Revolve cost twice as much, I'm very pleased with the Mini. In my opinion, it has much clearer, more balanced sound and definitely plays loudly enough. Not surprisingly, it has nowhere near the bass reproduction capability of the HomePod, but for a small room, or if you want music more for the background than for serious listening, I think it does a great job.

creediddy

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
You are spot on! Again I believe HomePod Series is a crippled device that is capable of way more! Sound quality is great, but limited connectivity options.

tuckerjj

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
Ship dates were already mid January in Germany since the day preorders went live ?

In Berlin there is no in store pickup ?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The mini for its size is a great speaker, but to me it falls short. For podcasting it's great, for music not so much b/c it doesn't have the size.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
It really is a great device. Just wish they were able to get it to power on a 15w or 18w power supply so I could use one of the readily available USB-C wall outlets out there so I didn't have to use that ugly brick it came with.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I ordered in Germany 25 minutes after release, I've yet to receive it. It's supposedly to be delivered on the 15 december.

That's ordering 25 M-I-N-U-T-E-S after release, on the 6th of November.
I ordered 11 minutes after pre order was released, right after ordering the 12 Pro Max. The 2 HomePod minis arrived on 16 November.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
My Mini is still scheduled to arrive between 12/4 and 12/11. As long as it arrives prior to Christmas, that's all that matters.

The Mini will definitely be a better option for most as it's at a more acceptable price point compared to Google Home or Echo products.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Is it common for industry, that after launching the product, the delivery slots are for the next two months? This is something I never understand from Apple, and it always drives me crazy.

What's the reason? I can't believe that two billion-worth company isn't prepared for launching the products. If they do this to create a hype, it is such a silly tactic.
From Apple's perspective it's better to oversell than to overstock. Since it is a new product and the last HomePod didn't sell in this kind of numbers it was better to be conservative in how many they ordered in the initial batch to gauge demand rather than ramp down production due to low demand. As always the extended delivery period for Apple is usually the worst case scenario so customers aren't disappointed if production doesn't catch up on time, but they are usually adjust forward as the production ramps up.

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
Can I use Siri and access my data from a Sonos product?

Can I buy a Sonos product for the same amount of money as a HomePod Mini?

Can I control my HomeKit devices with a Sonos speaker and also use it as a Home hub?
No, but you’re in the overall minority.

Siri is Straight garbage if you think otherwise I don’t know what to tell you but it’s flat out the truth.

As I said in my original post, home pod mini is for people who can’t afford a full sonos system for sound.

I’d compare it more to the Amazon echo Dot which is far more capable than the home pod with 3rd party integration.

• Disagree
Reactions: serkankocak

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
How's the microphone performance? Better than Alexa when I say "Alexa" and she doesn't respond every once in a while?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
You are probably getting lots of flak for this, but sadly you are right. I cannot believe the positive chatter about sound quality, it’s really average to sub par. Thinking of returning mine.
It's only somewhat positive because people are comparing it to devices of similar size, not similar price.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
I was so happy to replace my google homes with 4 of these. Then I found the shortcomings of Siri I have my entire home with philips hue lighting. Google could turn and entire room on and off or just a group/scene again on or off.......that’s where the trouble begins. Ex I have a feeling fan with 4 lights in it I would ask google to turn on/off living room fan (scene) Siri can’t do that first of all it can only turn it on by saying set living room fan!!!! What that’s not natural speech and forget about turning off the same scene it can’t your only option is to turn one light off at a time or every light in the room. Sadly I now have a google home and HomePod mini in every room :-/ I’m disappointed

ArmPol

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
UK
I have 4 HomePods throughout my home and they sound great, recently got a mini for my bathroom but it’s disappointing (to me anyways). Thinking about returning it and grabbing another regular homepod when they inevitably go on sale for $199 again
Jesus, how big is your bathroom?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.