Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Almost all of Apple's stores in the United States have stopped offering the HomePod for in-store purchase and pickup, with the speaker listed as unavailable in nearly all retail locations.

homepod-availability-retail-stores.jpg

In the Bay Area, for example, there are no HomePods available for purchase, and the same goes for New York City, Los Angeles, and other major cities. There are a couple of stores, such as the San Diego store at UTC that still have stock available, but for the most part, Apple appears to be ceasing HomePod sales in its retail locations.

Note that this applies to the white version of the HomePod only, because the Space Gray HomePod has been sold out for months now.

It is not clear when Apple made this change, but the HomePod is still widely available for next-day delivery in many areas, and it is still available in stores in other countries outside of the United States, such as Australia.

Apple officially discontinued the HomePod in March in order to focus its efforts on the development of the HomePod mini. At the time, Apple said that the HomePod would continue to be available through the Apple Online Store, Apple Retail Stores, and Apple Authorized Resellers "while supplies last."

With the HomePod disappearing from retail stores in the United States, it's possible that supplies of the white version are now dwindling, but Apple may have also simply decided to limit the sales of a discontinued product to the online store.

There are rumors that Apple is working on new HomePod products to accompany the HomePod mini, including a HomePod with a display and a camera and a version that combines an Apple TV with a HomePod.

Article Link: HomePod No Longer Available for Purchase From Most U.S. Apple Stores

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Using a stereo paired HomePods with Apple TV 4K (2nd gen) is seriously good. Obviously not as good as higher-end soundbar or home theater system. But miles ahead of most 2.1 soundbars and built-in TV speakers.

If you already have one HomePod, pick another before it's too late.

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Weird, maybe they're not selling at enough volume to want to ship them to stores? It is encouraging that the HomePod is still getting software updates, so I'm hopeful that we'll see better price/performance devices that successfully meet the niche they're going for. I love the sound of my 2 that I bought at discounts though.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I wonder what that could mean, less than 5 days away from WWDC and with the rumor of homeOS… I don’t expect a 2.0 HomePod but maybe a completely new software update
If I were to speculate, deducing from HomePod's exclusive features as clues (eARC and virtual Dolby Atmos processing), the next HomePod product will be a soundbar of sort.

But given Apple's lackluster interest in HomePods category, this may be a wishful thinking on my part.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Missed chance.

Apple should of sold them in pairs for $399, and marketed them as high fidelity home theater.

I have a pair connected to my ATV and these things are amazing.
(New ATVs also let you use them as the audio return channel for your TV.)

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
still upset they discontinued the main HomePod without an heir apparent. the mini's don't cut it for sound quality particularly in a larger room or as a tv speaker. also not interested in a HomePod with a screen/camera? ours are tucked away next to the tv or on a floating shelf in the corner of the living room. a screen/camera would be totally useless for us/our preferred use.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Weird, maybe they're not selling at enough volume to want to ship them to stores? It is encouraging that the HomePod is still getting software updates, so I'm hopeful that we'll see better price/performance devices that successfully meet the niche they're going for. I love the sound of my 2 that I bought at discounts though.
I would expect them to simply not restock them, not stop selling them completely though.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
They're coming out with new ones. homeOS is already the hint. I wouldn't stress about it too much.
don't know, considering someone bought a big HomePod this year from Apple and saw the manufacture date was back in 2018 (essentially they bought launch inventory), feels like Apple isn't interested in making the expensive HomePod anymore.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple should of sold them in pairs for $399, and marketed them as high fidelity home theater.

I have a pair connected to my ATV and these things are amazing.
(New ATVs also let you use them as the audio return channel for your TV.)
They work for your computer setup also. :)

But I had to chuckle when you mentioned Apple marketing anything as high fidelity. Even their lossless rollout is not without issues. :D

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Apple recently seems to be more interested in lower end, more casual products such as Homepod Mini and new un-attractive iMacs ,vs more higher end products such as regular Homepod,regular iMacs and iMac Pro..
who knows maybe soon they discontinue Macbook Pro and only make kiddy color Macbook Airs instead..whatever sells more to masses and brings more margins I guess..

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Really wanted one of these one day, especially with the new 14.6 features. Probably would have replaced my bookshelf speakers in time.

Oh well, don't think my TV supports the eARC feature anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.