HomePod preordering

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Mrsemexter, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Mrsemexter macrumors regular

For previous Apple launches, Apple have always specified a time on their website at which the preording will become available? Am I right to assume that it will be the same time for this product launch (so 8am for the U.K.)?

2. smr macrumors 6502a

I have just asked this question in a chat on the UK AppleStore, the answer:
    We are still waiting for official confirmation of the time I am afraid, but, as it stands now seems to be from 8am UK time Friday morning.

3. Mrsemexter thread starter macrumors regular

There isnt even a page for the HomePod in the Apple store app, not really sure what’s going on...

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Just a heads up

EE have said pre order goes up at 1.30pm in the UK..that’s when ordering through them but guessing it might be the same with Apple

5. smr macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that, although that is an odd time?!:confused:
    13:30 UK = 00:30 Saturday for Australia (Sydney), so I can't see that working if pre-orders go live at the same time across the three launch countries.

08:00 is 00:00 in California and 19:00 in Australia, so that would work better for a simultaneous pre-order time.

6. HarryMiller macrumors member

Agree that it's an odd time, but the Apple site states an Australian pre-order date of 27 January. That leaves two possibilities.

Either, preorders indeed start simultaneously after 13:00 GMT, 05:00 PDT, 00:00 AEST.

Or, Australian pre-orders are delayed a day due to the 26 January Australian Day public holiday.

The latter is possible, but I'm inclined toward the former.

Attached Files:

7. fokmik macrumors 68040

8. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

On my iPad I can’t even see the HomePod listed in the Apple store app. It’s on the website though

9. smr macrumors 6502a

I hadn't spotted that the Australian pre-orders start on the 27th. I'm also inclined towards the first of your two scenarios i.e. a simultaneous start after 00:00 ASET on the 27th, so 13:30 in the UK looks more plausible.

I wonder if this is a new approach by Apple i.e. deliberately being vague to try to reduce the load on their servers? But then this thread is very quiet so it doesn't look like there will be many of us trying to pre-order as soon as the store opens tomorrow!

10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Still think those if Apple are only selling 1 million at the start most will still need to be quick

Not sure yet if I will pre order with Apple or EE yet. Guessing with EE you can do 11 monthly instalments or just pay outright.

11. smr macrumors 6502a

I have just had another 'chat' with the UK AppleStore and they still don't know:
    We have not been given an exact time as of yet but all the recently released products have been available from approximately 8am so this may be the most likely time it will be available from

12. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Very strange that there’s not even a placeholder on the Apple Store. Worth bearing in mind that AirPods (which came totally out of the blue) went up at 2pm UK time so it’s really anyone’s guess o_O

13. joefrank64k macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

I seem to remember something similar in the US. I ordered my AirPods in the middle of the day on pre-order day, and got them on launch day.

I sure wish they’d say something more definitive than “01/26/18”...I’d rather not be up at midnight if I can avoid it, haha!!

14. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

Wondering about this. On the east coast don’t want to be up at 3AM if I don’t have to!

15. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Sure seems like iPhone time since no one really knows. 12:00 am PST.

16. ayale99 macrumors 6502

Just did a chat with. Apple. They still don’t have an official time, but said “it could range from a morning to night time frame.” So, I guess that means it could be any time?

They also said...

“Since Apple wanted to build excitement in both the customer and it’s employees, we learn about it more during the official release of the device, that way, we learn about it together with our customers. That way, we are more closely integrated with their feedback and the information that they would like to know about the HomePod.”

17. Bradleyone macrumors regular

Translation:

"Apple treats us with as much contempt as you, but at least I'm getting paid to pass on this drivel, so there's that, right?"

18. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

sounds like a great way to have horrible customer service.

19. gnomeisland macrumors 6502a

Ugh. East Coast, here. Will stay up until midnight. Not sure I will do 3AM. I don't *think* this will sell that quickly but every source says supplies are constrained.

20. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

so... looking like it's gonna be some random time later I the day.

21. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

On the mainboard someone confirmed usual 12:00 am PST with apple support.

22. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

I totally forgot to adjust two hours for my time zone. Major ditz moment

23. The Game 161, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018

The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I know EE said to me expect to hear something after 1.30pm

24. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

25. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

unless apple times are different but I can't see why it would be. guess time will tell.

if it;'s available in half an hour or not.