Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The speaker is only 7 inches tall and people are talking about its bass response...that's pretty good.

I think the HomePod is Late to the market, but the sound I believe will win many Over who are questioning the results this can produce. The user reviews will be very interesting to read Over the next month. I have high hopes for this Product, but at $350.00, It has to deliver, which I think it will for those waiting out.

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
Here we go again, another round of journalists who wouldn’t dare taint the good name of Apple in order to secure future invitations and therefore advertising dollars. In this 21st century, do we really need to listen to bunch of paid media outlets tell us it’s good, or can we wait until real people start giving real reviews.

For me personally, I will not be getting a HomePod. It’s not because I don’t appreciate a good quality speaker, but that Siri is a joke when it compared to Alexa and Google. I’ve never used a Windows PC, but I bet that Microsoft girl, umm, Cortana?, is better than Siri. Apple needs to fix Miss Cannotunderstandhalfofwhatyousaid.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
I have a few airport expresses connected to decent sets of studio monitors, my surround sound system and a stereo system. Pick any speakers you want or already have...

The stereo has digital in and a decent DAC. Others by 3.5mm jack.

Multi room works great from iTunes (but not iOS unless the airport express gets airplay2) and has FOR YEARS! I use the remote app to play from iTunes rather than playing from the device itself.
Bingo - so do I - AirPort Express-TOSlink-high quality receivers and speakers. And yes, the main concern is havin the Airport Express support AirPlay 2, and while we are at it - have the Remote app start supporting AppleMusic via iTunes. And now HomePod will work just the same via AirPlay (yes, including Spotify)

foqus

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2007

Apple last week invited select reporters to one-hour-long HomePod listening demos in New York City and London, resulting in several first impressions of the speaker's sound quality being shared online over the past few days.

homepod-space-gray-white.jpg

We've rounded up all of the first impressions we've come across so far, and highlighted some excerpts that we thought were interesting below. If you spot an article not listed here, let us know in the comments section.

o Business Insider
o TechCrunch
o CNET
o Engadget
o iMore
o Mashable
o TechRadar
o Digital Trends
o Tom's Guide
o Expert Reviews
o Wired UK
o iNews UK
o Huffington Post UK
o Vogue UK
o Refinery29
o Gear Patrol
o Stuff.tv
o Alphr
o Lance Ulanoff
o T3

The consensus is that the HomePod sounds very good, although some felt the quality isn't exactly worth the price. A few reporters were more impressed by upcoming stereo sound capabilities of two HomePods in the same room.

Keep in mind these listening demos were conducted by Apple in controlled environments, so we'll have to wait for more in-depth reviews once reporters and customers get the speaker into their hands and try it out.

Business Insider's Avery Hartmans
Wired UK's Jeremy White
TechCrunch's Brian Heater
CNET's David Carnoy
iNews UK's Rhiannon Williams

Apple began accepting HomePod orders through its online store and Apple Store app on Friday in the United States, Australia, and United Kingdom, with the first deliveries to customers estimated to arrive Friday, February 9.

Article Link: HomePod's Sound Continues to Receive Top Marks After Listening Demos in New York and London
[doublepost=1517104928][/doublepost]Howzabout just a small $79 one for people who already have a great home sound system but just want to ask Siri the weather, news, turn on the light?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I’m glad MR called these listening demos. I don’t think anyone is doubting the HomePod sounds good. But what problem is it solving?

As someone with a HomeKit smart home, the HomePod is the final piece. Walking around my home and simply speaking commands out loud, is the ultimate way to control my home. Right now, I speak into my Watch but this doesn't work for guests and I'm not always wearing my Watch around the house.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
[doublepost=1517104928][/doublepost]Howzabout just a small $79 one for people who already have a great home sound system but just want to ask Siri the weather, news, turn on the light?

Yep, that's Amazon echo. Does that job well. I will never want a small tube to serve as my home audio system. Guess standards have lowered for the sake of technology.

Reactions: trellus

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I don't bother with garbage that doesn't let me tailor EQ to environment.

HomePod is Garbage.

If they ever add a graphic or parametric EQ get back to me.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Here we go again, another round of journalists who wouldn’t dare taint the good name of Apple in order to secure future invitations and therefore advertising dollars. In this 21st century, do we really need to listen to bunch of paid media outlets tell us it’s good, or can we wait until real people start giving real reviews.

For me personally, I will not be getting a HomePod. It’s not because I don’t appreciate a good quality speaker, but that Siri is a joke when it compared to Alexa and Google. I’ve never used a Windows PC, but I bet that Microsoft girl, umm, Cortana?, is better than Siri. Apple needs to fix Miss Cannotunderstandhalfofwhatyousaid.

Talks about waiting for reviews while dismissing the hands-in experiences of people who have actually interacted with it; proceeds to pre-form their own opinions on a product despite never actually having used it in real life.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
One thing is now clear, HomePod truly is the best smart speaker on the market - delivering incredible sound quality with intelligent technologies that you'll never find in any other speaker. I can't wait to unbox mine next month.

Reactions: Mal_R

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
At a 199.99-249.99/each price I probably would have picked one up to try out. As it stands, I just can’t justify 349.99 for this small a speaker with support for only Apple Music and missing the main features that other smart speakers already have. Just don’t see how people can justify the price premium missing all that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.