Hope this is wrong... (no GPS)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sgiles1, Jun 4, 2008.

1. cjandnw macrumors 6502

I also hope there will be GPS. I could care less about a better camera.

2. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

This can't be true... Not many people out there would buy it just for the 3g capability. I know I would just keep my edge network iphone with firmware 2.0 and be happy

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I hope that people change their views and go into WWDC thinking there will be nothing more than 3G.

This is what will happen. If you're not expecting GPS or a better camera, you won't be disappointed when you don't get it.

4. essential macrumors regular

I can't see there not being a GPS. It has to have a GPS, the whole theme of this new iPhone is location based applications. One of the first approved third party apps tells you stuff going on around where you are currently located. The triangulation is okay, but if you are standing in front of a pizzeria, and your iPhone tells you the closest pizzeria is 2 blocks away because it couldn't locate you exactly, it's flawed and will be viewed as flawed, and I doubt Apple want's that. That new app would need pinpoint (within 5-10 feet) location accuracy. We've also seen geo-tagging, and the map application asking to use your current location.

It will have some type of GPS.

5. rayward macrumors 68000

Maybe the "scoop" refers to the cheapo version that's been rumoured, while the new king of the hill will have all the bells and whistles. Every other phone manufacturer has a range of phones with varying equipment and specs...why not Apple?

6. sananda macrumors 68020

i couldn't fail to agree with you less.

7. Tytanius macrumors member

I have been expecting this all along as 3G is the only hardware they have actually come out and said will be in the new version. I am hoping for a GPS but I don't have my hopes up.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, I'm starting to temper my expectations just so I don't feel irritated if GPS doesn't materialize.

9. viggen61 macrumors 6502

I'm probably alone in this, but...

Since I don't currently own an iPhone (though I will be getting one once they are available again), it really doesn't matter to me personally, if GPS or a "better" camera are included or not in iPhone Rev 2.

GPS would sure be nice, but I own two cameras of 4MP or more, so having that in my phone isn't important to me.

:apple::apple:

10. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Although I'm on record as saying I don't care if GPS is in the new iPhone or not, I agree with this. As a columnist on another blog said, the WWDC invites say "A Landmark Event...". Apple is known for having hidden (and sometimes not-so hidden) meanings in their invitations...

Monday afternoon will be interesting, for sure!:D

:apple::apple:

11. bombtrack macrumors member

This news seems to feed into the idea of having different price points for the iPhone 2. There will be a less expensive one that lacks gps and a better camera, and at least one other more expensive model that will have the entire package. Not having GPS is within reason, but putting out a 2mp camera on a gen2 phone? No way. it can't be the only model.

12. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

3G capibility isn't enough in my opinion. Sure, 3G is faster but if that's the only improvement it has then I will just buy a version 1 iphone and save the money.

13. Tytanius macrumors member

Nothing official has said anything at all towards their being two models. Saying "No way. it can't be the only model." has no meaning when there is nothing to back it. I am hoping just as much as the next guy but lets be conservative.

14. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

The iphone is not a GPS device and never will be. The iphone is not a digital camera and never will be. It is a PHONE and an IPOD. Anything else Apple throws in is a bonus, so any disappointment over the iphone not having a 10 megapixel camera or full featured GPS is crazy. If you need a good camera or GPS, you can actually purchase both for less than the cost of an iphone!

15. sananda macrumors 68020

never say never.

16. Requiemm macrumors regular

[​IMG]

Pet peeve.

I find I work better with visual aids.

17. Xjett macrumors member

I am starting to think that there might be at least two different types of iPhones. It wouldn't make sense to boast all these location based apps and not have it.

And I know most of you guys don't care about the camera, frankly neither do I. I may use it every now and then to catch something funny or something like that. However, I know a lot of people out there do care about the camera, so again, it wouldn't make sense to bump it up to a higher mega pixel count. I mean come on, if Nokia and Sony-Ericsson can put 5+ megapixels into their phones, then Apple can at least give us 3 megapixels.

In the end all this information is just confusing the hell out of all of us. Up until now I thought it was going to be a bit thicker, then I hear it'll be 22% thinner. It has GPS, it doesn't GPS. We'll find out in 5 days. :cool:

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

People pointing out pet peeves is my pet peeve.

Wait... :p

Seriously, though. If we go into it expecting nothing more than 3G, then we won't be disappointed if there is no GPS/anything else kick-awesome and be shocked and amazed if there is. That's how the Reality Distortion Field works!

19. essential macrumors regular

I have a feeling Jobs will introduce the new iPhone, say it has 3G, and other minor upgrades, and stretch it out like it's the greatest thing ever, and end with ... "and that is our new iPhone." Everyone will be disappointed because it's lacking GPS, better camera, etc. Then after a pause Steve will say, "and for our Power Users, the new iPhone Pro" or something, and that model will have the GPS, better camera, etc.

Jobs loves throwing curve balls and surprising people. I never thought there would be two models until the last couple weeks with so much conflicting information. Most of it makes sense if you think of all the information in the context of a low end and high end phone.

I actually don't care about a better camera, i'm only going to use the camera for taking pictures of friends for Ring IDs. A GPS, however, is a massive selling point for me. If it didn't have a GPS, i'd be really disappointed.

20. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

there is nothing special about gps. My 1st gen chocolate has that, you just got to pay for it, just like you would have to with att is gps was on the iphone

21. rayward macrumors 68000

You have to remember that Apple inserted itself into the cell phone market, where manufacturers have been selling phones based on the latest, whizz-bang, non-phone related add-on. Be it a camera, music player, diary or the ability to be used as a boomerang (very popular with Naomi Campbell).

Many, many customers will make their buying decisions based on megapixels and whether you can watch ESPN2. That's their prerogative. What's not their prerogative, is to whine about the iPhone not having what the latest Nokiorola has, because the latest Nikiorola isn't a fully functioning video iPod. If the camera is your priority, and the iPhone camera sucks, buy a different phone.

Personally, I think the Smart Car should come with a retractable roof, 4WD and a V8. Damn them for not making me one.

22. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Convergence has its benefits but a swiss army knife device that has the latest and greatest phone, GPS, music player, camera, etc. would cost way too much money and price the device out of range of the market Apple is targeting.

23. Xjett macrumors member

I have actually thought of that but keep forgetting to mention it. Will AT&T charge for the GPS on the iPhone?