Hotmail To Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by taran420, Jul 25, 2008.

1. taran420 macrumors 6502a

So i searched this forum and found out that many were having the same problem as me about getting hotmail emails on iphone

well after doing some research, i found izymail, but that too you had to pay for it, so no good

Finally after doing extensive research i found a way for hotmail users to get emails to iphone (works for me)

so for this to work you need
    -Gmail account
    -hotmail which you already have

heres the steps
    1) First open your gmail account, go to setting, then account, then under "send email as" click Add another email address, and then add your hotmail account info.

2) Then log into hotmail and confirm the gmail verification that you added the hotmail account

3) In Hotmail, go to Options, then select "Mobile alerts for new messages". Go through the steps (the verfication code could take upto 10 mins for you to get). Then when you are customizing the mobile service, select that you dont want to recive text alerts when you recieve an email. click next and back to hotmail when you save it.

4) Then in Hotmail, go to options, and select "Forward mail to another e-mail account". now add your gmail account, and it will let you.

5) Test it out, you should get your hotmail emails forwarded to gmail, thus your iphone

*I am assuming you know how to setup your gmail account in iphone
    **Also dont flame me if it was posted, or you guys know it. I searched a lot and couldnt find all the info at one place, so hopefully this will help some people.

Let me know how it goes

2. dwykstra macrumors member

just curious... why do you have to do step 3? can't you just forward to your gmail account, and that be it?

3. doobi18 macrumors 6502

just wondering - what is the point of steps 1 & 2? Because you don't want your gmail sending as hotmail and i can't imagine that it affect the hotmail process...

it doesn't normally let you

4. taran420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

for some reason, it didnt work when i didnt (grammar) do those step....it was odd, as soon as i added hotmail to gmail, it started working. Doing this doesnt do anything, it wonr make your gmail send as hotmail unless you set it up

5. nateco macrumors regular

wow...I've been trying to figure out how to do this forever.

thanks

6. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

doesnt work. I get stuck on step 4

Warning You're only able to forward mail to a custom domain or an e-mail address that ends in hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com. Please try again.

7. DeejayPancake macrumors member

I love you

I finally can read my hotmail crap. Yes, it's crap. But I have too much stuff signed up w/ my hotmail account to NOT have it

8. taran420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

did you do the mobile alerts part? thats what makes the hotmail bypass that msg and allows you to forward to gmail....it should work, since i never paid for hotmail, and has worked for others

9. dancavallaro macrumors regular

I did the first 3 steps, but at step 4, there's no option to forward to another email account..

10. taran420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

are u using the newer version. i have the classic view and when i click options, then under "manage your account" their is a option to forward emails

11. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

yes I even got the confirmation code by text on my iphone... wierd Ill try again I guess'

12. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

still doesnt work for me. effing frustrating god I hate hotmail. I dont reaaaaally need this to work because I access hotmail on my mac via macfreepops...

13. doobi18 macrumors 6502

yes yes yes yes yes yes

easy set up - got confirmation code - disabled alerts - forwarding to my gmail

all my hotmails now arrive in my gmail acount immediately - on mac & iphone!

i'll never have to log on to blidy windows live crapmail again! yay!:):):):)

14. cyrax83 macrumors member

forwarding to gmail might be a bad idea.
    doesnt hotmail automatically close your account if you dont log in within 90 days ?

15. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

120 but i think they send you a reminder somehow?

16. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

or you can just, you know, check via hotmail once in a while....

17. geenosr macrumors regular

geenosr

I too have tried it several times and all I get is the same message in the quote. I have been using "Classic", and I even switched to "Live" to see if that would work. Nothing I do gets me past the same warning.

Anyone else having the same problem?

I really don't like hotmail, but I've given that e-address out for years.......

18. taran420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its really weird since i have now tried this on 3 accounts and they all allow me to forward after setting up my mobile alerts part...

19. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

20. dubstar macrumors member

I'm not even getting the code sent to my hotmail account......

21. taran420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

you will get a verification code on your mobile device, it will be a sms, and sometimes it takes a while for it to send

22. dubstar macrumors member

ok, got the code via text.

but like others, getting stuck on step 4, only able to foward to hotmail, msn, live.......

how are you getting around this??

23. taran420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

how old is your acct? Try opening a test acct and see if it works on that

24. devobail macrumors member

Em, just out of curiosity. Why cant the iphone do hotmail? It is suppose to be a smart phone right?

25. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

it has nothing to do with the iphone's capabilities. the iphone CAN do hotmail, you just have to pay micro$oft a premium so they will allow it.