Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3 launched earlier this week with the updated TV app that Apple first teased at its March event, Samsung also rolled out support for both AirPlay 2 and the new TV app, making it the first third-party company to launch these features.

We have a Samsung TV set (the 2018 Q6F) that's compatible with the new Apple offerings, so we thought we'd check them out to give MacRumors readers a look at how Apple features work on third-party television sets.

After installing a firmware update, Apple-compatible Samsung TV sets will have an Apple TV app, which is going to be unique to Samsung TVs for the foreseeable future. Other TV sets are gaining Apple features like AirPlay 2, but it's only Samsung that has a TV app option for now.

The TV app on a Samsung TV looks almost identical to the TV app on the Apple TV, offering up a "Watch Now" feature that keeps track of the movies and the TV shows you're watching, plus content recommendations ranging from suggestions based on what you've watched to new content to trending content.

The "Channels" feature that's new to the TV app is available on Samsung TVs, allowing users to subscribe to services like HBO, Starz, Showtime, and more right within the TV app. Channels content can be watched right within the TV app without the need to open up another app.

There are dedicated sections for "Watch Now," Movies, TV Shows, Kids, Library, Search, and Settings, and the app offers up access to all of the iTunes content that you've previously purchased. You can also purchase or rent new movies within the app.

Apple content on the Samsung TV works with other Samsung Smart TV services, including the Universal Guide, Bixby, and Search.

Compatible Samsung TVs also now work with AirPlay 2, which means you can AirPlay content to them much like you would to a TV connected to an Apple TV set-top box.

You can AirPlay music to the TV, AirPlay content from apps like YouTube, or AirPlay TV shows and movies. AirPlay functionality works from within apps or through the Control Center where AirPlay options are located.

In our testing, the Apple TV and AirPlay 2 features on the Samsung TV set worked flawlessly, and were much like using an Apple TV set-top box. The experience was similar enough that it's easy to forget you're interacting with a Samsung Smart TV rather than an Apple TV box.

There are quite a few Samsung TVs from 2018 and 2019 that are compatible with AirPlay 2 and the TV app, with a list available below:
  • Samsung FHD/HD 4, 5 Series (2018)
  • Samsung QLED 4K Q6, Q7, Q8, Q9 Series (2018 & 2019)
  • Samsung QLED 8K Q9 Series (2019)
  • Samsung The Frame Series (2018 & 2019)
  • Samsung The Serif Series (2019)
  • Samsung UHD 6, 7, 8 Series (2018 & 2019)
These TV sets can access AirPlay 2 and the TV app right now, with a firmware update required on 2018 TV models.

Other TV manufacturers like Vizio, Sony, and LG are also implementing similar features and will begin supporting AirPlay 2 and HomeKit later this year. Vizio is already beta testing AirPlay 2 and HomeKit features, as demonstrated in the video below.

While Vizio, Sony, and LG all plan to support HomeKit, which will let you use Siri voice commands and the Home app to control your TV, Samsung is not implementing this feature and Samsung TVs won't be an available option in the Home app.

Samsung has instead added the TV app, which Vizio, Sony, and LG have not announced support for.

Article Link: How AirPlay 2 and the Apple TV App Work on a Samsung TV

Last edited:

TomaxXamot

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I’ve been meaning to google whether AirPlay is encrypted or not and what potential privacy concerns there may be. Is it possible for, say, nefarious Smart TV apps, or Samsung themselves, to capture your content?

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
I wish there was a way to filter out all of the stuff that I can't watch without paying. It's annoying to still see so much "pay-required" content integrated in with stuff that is either free to watch, owned, or a part of an existing subscription. Is there "cord cutter" type term for people who heave their streaming device through a window?

irish2110

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
No update available yet for the 2018 UHD 6 Series for me
What model number TV do you have? I have a 6 series as well with no update. I called Samsung and they insisted that the 6 model will not receive the update even though its clearly stated it will.

Reactions: uptownjimmy

kanki1985

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2013
2018 series 8 here and no updates!! But I don't care, I generally disconnect my TV from internet and use an apple TV. I don't trust Samsung with my Information.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Strange that the TV app isn't available on older models. I have a 2016 KS8000 and I see no good reason they couldn't build an app for that. I can understand Airplay 2, if there are hardware limitations. Guess I'll have to not use the app on my Apple TV instead.

Reactions: That70sGAdawg

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
What model number TV do you have? I have a 6 series as well with no update. I called Samsung and they insisted that the 6 model will not receive the update even though its clearly stated it will.
UN50NU6900BXZA
Every list I've seen has included the 6 series. That'd be a bummer if they're not actually including it.

sammarshall

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
Does anyone know if the AP2 TV's can push audio from non-apple content displayed on the TV (i.e. Dish, Xbox, etc.) to other AP2 devices?

Reactions: Wilburx3

weup togo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
So Beancounter Tim's plan is to commoditize Apple's ecosystem to the point that you can be an "Apple fan" while buying hardware from Apple's single largest competitor. This definitely isn't what SJ meant when he said they'd cracked the television problem.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Because for those who do not have a proper TV will need the apple TV.

Also, the thing is a size of a hockey puck. If your room can't fit an extra hockey puck, you got no business buying a new TV.

i didn't say they are phased out, i said they are phasing it out. in a few years all tv's will have this feature.

huh? if you're replacing your current tv the amount of room doesn't change at all, presuming you get the same sized tv. and i never said it's huge, but some of us prefer to have less clutter - if the hue hub could be virtual i would much prefer to not have it sit there.

Reactions: Ghost31

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
i think they slowly are. i mean who's going to want to pay money for something that takes up room, when your tv has all of the same functions?

I use mine with Fulgaz, an indoor cycling trainer app, the apple tv can control my smart trainer, altering resistence, inclide etc - best way of doing it and dont see how the TV will replace it.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I use mine with Fulgaz, an indoor cycling trainer app, the apple tv can control my smart trainer, altering resistence, inclide etc - best way of doing it and dont see how the TV will replace it.

i know nothing about fulgaz, so i'm not even going to challenge what you said, but is there no native way of doing that though?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Because for those who do not have a proper TV will need the apple TV.

Also, the thing is a size of a hockey puck. If your room can't fit an extra hockey puck, you got no business buying a new TV.

I'm in the minority, but I never even bothered connecting my Samsung Smart TV to our home wi-fi. We have the ATV 4K and it works perfectly for us.

Plus, I have the ATV placed behind the TV, so with that and the soundbar, I don't even see the actual hardware unless I'm cleaning.

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
No update available yet for the 2018 UHD 6 Series for me

It's prob set to a auto update..the new version of firmware is 1251..you just need that..if it is not working, hold down the power button for 10 secs or so to reset the tv. Mine is a 2018 6 series and works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.